RIP John McCain

…this despite suffering weekly torture. Earlier in the war, he tried saving a fellow pilot with fires raging around them, when a bomb exploded which severely wounded him. That is heroic behaviour. There is a reason he was awarded medals, you know.

I was in the U.S. Army, so for me a hero is anyone who loses their life in combat or puts their life on the line to save the lives of their fellow soldiers. Too many never received recognition for it.

I already covered the issue of being a prisoner and how it does not relate to heroism in my opinion.

"McCain began as a sub-par flier who was at times careless and reckless; during the early to mid-1960s, two of his flight missions crashed and a third mission collided with power lines, but he received no major injuries."

You are referring to the 1967 USS Forrestal fire. McCain escaped from his burning jet and was trying to help another pilot escape when a bomb exploded; he was struck in the legs and chest by fragments. The fire was not caused by enemy action. Friendly fire, like the Pat Tillman incident.

20 years in the military. As far as medals go, I've seen both sides of the issue. People getting medals for petty shit, or stuff they did not deserve and those getting medals who truly earned them. Also many who did deserve a medal and never got one. Yeah, we had officers in Iraq putting themselves in for a Bronze Star and getting it. No, you do not put yourself in for an award, others must do it for you. Also, the Purple Heart being awarded for friendly fire injuries in Vietnam. No, sorry, that has to be under enemy action.

I already covered the issue of being a prisoner and how it does not relate to heroism in my opinion.

"McCain began as a sub-par flier who was at times careless and reckless; during the early to mid-1960s, two of his flight missions crashed and a third mission collided with power lines, but he received no major injuries."

You are referring to the 1967 USS Forrestal fire. McCain escaped from his burning jet and was trying to help another pilot escape when a bomb exploded; he was struck in the legs and chest by fragments. The fire was not caused by enemy action. Friendly fire, like the Pat Tillman incident.

20 years in the military. As far as medals go, I've seen both sides of the issue. People getting medals for petty shit, or stuff they did not deserve and those getting medals who truly earned them. Also many who did deserve a medal and never got one. Yeah, we had officers in Iraq putting themselves in for a Bronze Star and getting it. No, you do not put yourself in for an award, others must do it for you. Also, the Purple Heart being awarded for friendly fire injuries in Vietnam. No, sorry, that has to be under enemy action.

Get over yourself quoting yourself saying you were in the service yeah everyone knows, nobody cares.

Well, he was offered the chance to go home twice during his 5 years imprisonment, but refused to leave without his fellow prisoners in order no to give the VC a propaganda victory - this despite suffering weekly torture. Earlier in the war, he tried saving a fellow pilot with fires raging around them, when a bomb exploded which severely wounded him. That is heroic behaviour. There is a reason he was awarded medals, you know.
This.

Dont care for the mans stances on a lot of topics. Good few I strongly disagree with. But I shed a few tears over his passing.

Enduring torture for years on end, and STILL having the backbone and courage to say "no, send my boys home over me." is as heroic as heroic gets.

I refuse to believe anyone that has served their country would dare say he is not a war hero. I just simply do not believe it.

You guys can save the "Well I didn't agree with him" shit. No one cares what you agree with.
RIP to a hero and a great man.
z-169-j-john-mccain_600.jpg

Enjoy your rest brother. You spent 81 years serving others.

I met him one day, and he told me my dreams would come true. So they did.

Putting your life and health on the line for other people is heroic, McCain undisputably did that on several occasions. You continuing to slander this man while his body isn't even cold is just pathetic. You have to be able to see the good as well as the bad in other people if you want to call yourself any kind of man.

"McCain was a Navy pilot. He got shot down over North Vietnam and captured and imprisoned by the enemy. Both his shoulders were broken by the sides of his cockpit when he pulled the ejection handle. He was a prisoner of war for five and a half years and was tortured and put in solitary confinement for much of that time. He was offered some deal that would let him go home early and refused to comply with its terms as required by the U.S. Code of Conduct. He was also ordered to turn the deal down by his commander among the P.O.W.s.

The media says he was given a chance to leave Vietnam and go home but he “refused.” Well, wait a minute. How, exactly, does one refuse to leave North Vietnam when one is an unarmed, crippled prisoner of war? If the North Vietnamese want you returned home, they just fly you to a neutral country and dump you there. They do not ask your damned permission. There has to be more to the story than “McCain refused to leave.”
"

@Vergilius

Well, the deal was likely refused because they wanted something from him. It’s not like they decided to be nice guys and let him go. They probably wanted information or something and probably tried it with the other prisoners too.

He was ruthless he hurt UFC for a while
But wouldn't want anyone to go through cancer rip.
Brain cancer that must be brutal

I wonder what you do for sex when a captive as a prisoner of war.

They surely won’t let you have sex with a local.

I wouldn’t want to be caught jerking off by a local Vietnamese prison guard.

I guess they just have wet dreams.

Tough not to bust a but otherwise.

Not to mention there’s no beer and TV.

Sorry I had to wonder.

I dug that guy. Sucked to see him get blasted by both sides towards the end of his life for working with both sides and having opinions and values of his own.

I met him ten years ago at Starbucks near my house. Dude just rolled up on me and asked what I was reading and when I looked up I said "holy shit" and he lold

Real friendly guy.

Back