Revisionism on Vitor vs Rumble

Rumble is mediocre at best. he hit Vitor with one good punch when he dove into his guard after the first takedown. After that he had almost nothing (one other takedown).

It's a stretch to say that Rumble was getting the better of Vitor. Yes he might have won the round on points but you could clearly see that Rumble was ineffective inside of Vitor's guard from the very beginning, and anyone who knows anything realized immediately that this meant big trouble for Johnson.
I felt like Rumble got the better of him standing as well. And granted, it was a very small sample size, but I feel like when the guy's not winded I'm not sure I've ever seen him even lose a minute.

I guess this comes down to your definition of mediocre. Is Bader mediocre? Cause my guess is Rumble beats him. Thiago Silva? Could easily see Rumble taking that. Phil Davis? Vitor at 205? We haven't seen enough of Rumble to know if he has a gas tank for 15 minutes now at 205, but if he does I don't see a whole lot of guys beating him.

The comparison with Sonnen was rankings wise.
Sonnen is an unranked LHW fighter who was #2 MW before switching weight class.
Franklin was the #7 LHW fighter who was #2 MW before switching weight class.

Interesting fact about Rich Franklin: He hasn't fought anyone younger than 32 since 2007.

i guess you'd have a point, ts if these same people were the ones that are calling it like it is with respect to vitor's win over rumble now. some issues i have with your "points" though:

1) how did rumble have a 15lb weight advantage? wasn't it stipulated by vitor that rumble couldn't weigh more than 200lbs on the night of the fight?

2) were any of the people thinking rumble would win, aware of the fact that big dan was going to force stand ups after about 5 seconds of work on the ground WHILE rumble was being active?

3) it still should mean little to nothing for vitor's ranking at mw because it wasn't a mw fight, and johnson was never a ranked mw.

if he got stood up for 2 punches in 36 seconds, shouldn't he have gotten twice as much time for 4 punches?

1) attempted

2) i'm using the term punches in a very generous manner

1) attempted

2) i'm using the term punches in a very generous manner

However you break it down statistically, it was rather surprising to see TWO STAND-UPS and a SEPARATION in THREE MINUTES.

One could argue for the merits of such an approach. But such an approach is definitely not the norm.

Even though the OP is tangentially related to what transpired today, I find the disrespect towards Vitor from some of the posters in this thread amusing

that happened on the feet

Nah AJ took him down and Belfort landed on his face, it was the first takedown where you see Vitor get slammed on his face and it starts swelling

However you break it down statistically, it was rather surprising to see TWO STAND-UPS and a SEPARATION in THREE MINUTES.

One could argue for the merits of such an approach. But such an approach is definitely not the norm.

I was hoping Vitor would demolish him for the repeated weight cheating, but the fact of the matter is the blatant ref cheating stains that win a bit. Never have I seen a ref pander to an audience/for one fighter THAT badly... completely indefensible imo. Honestly smacked of a backroom deal to punish/release AJ in response to his blatant inability to make weight at 2 weight classes.

Pretty much. The stand ups were ridiculous. Vitor probably would have ended up winning anyway because it seemed as if Rumble didn't even have to the gas tank to lay and pray for 3 rounds. But the fact remains that the stand ups were some of the quickest I've ever seen. If all fights were reffed like that then Jon Fitch might have a losing record in the UFC.

Yeah, I agree that the standups were inappropriate. I still think that Vitor would have won but that is a different issue. In any case this only shows how dangerous Rumble is.
Yeah...the standups def felt premature but Rumble was really overweight. Thus I have little sympathy for him.

Would it have been fair to allow Rumble to exploit his 15 pound weight advantage on the ground?

Back