Revisionism on Vitor vs Rumble

lol johnson almost died by terrible weight cut day before.

He had big advantage because he started rehydrating 1 hour earlier? LOL

lol johnson almost died by terrible weight cut day before.

He had big advantage because he started rehydrating 1 hour earlier? LOL

Most people at the time of the fight were focusing instead on the extra 10-15lb of muscle that Rumble would have on Belfort on fight time, which everyone was calling cheating.

Had Belfort gone lights out with one of those bombs that Rumble threw everyone would be talking about that "unfair advantage", instead of the gassing because of the weight cut.

Last edited:
I was re-phrasing part of the OP:

The standard attitude here in Sherdog these days is to treat Rumble as a borderline can, and to state that it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to lose that fight because he missed weight by so much.

That attitude is what he is referring to as revisionism and that he disagrees with applying revisionism to this particular fight. I personally think it's appropriate to change your mind about some fights in hindsight, but not this one. Belfort earned the win and it wasn't a walk-over.
Neither of the two attitudes happen. If this thread teaches anything, is Sherdoggers love to put fallacious points in other people mouths to argue easier

Most people at the time of the fight were focusing instead on the extra 10-15lb of muscle that Rumble would have on Belfort on fight tie, which everyone was calling cheating.

Had Belfort gone lights out with one of those bombs that Rumble threw everyone would be talking about that "unfair advantage", instead of the gassing because of the weight cut.
Is impossible to know a fighter's health before the fight. Nobody is talking about fare or unfare... it's merit and skill talking. Outboxing Vitor anyway has nothing to do with weight or gas, unlike submitting a praying muslim

Last edited:
Can't believe how many people were picking Rumble to win that fight

Being "explosive and athletic" and having big muscles really is the formula for a hype train here on sherdog.

Lmfao @ betting lines not being representative of fighter ability

ummmm...clearly you dont wager on sporting events...betting lines are representative of public opinion NOT a fighters ability...betting lines are set based on what line the book makers can put out that that will garner equal action on both sides from the public...

I won $200 on a $100 bet Vitor within the distance

meeeeemoriesssss

BULLSHIT! theres no way any book was paying out 2-1 odds on Belfort, of all people, finishing within the distance...

Rumble's legit, I don't think anyone could make a real credible argument against that. He was definitely getting the better of Belfort before he gassed. My guess is he takes that fight at 205. A lot of Rumble's problems came from cutting too much weight. I'd love to see him back in the UFC at 205. I think he'd eventually settle in the top 5.

Is impossible to know a fighter's health before the fight. Nobody is talking about fare or unfare... it's merit and skill talking. Outboxing Vitor anyway has nothing to do with weight or gas, unlike submitting a praying muslim

Hey wait a second.

Rumble missed weight because he packed way too much muscle. He easily had 10-15 lbs on Vitor. Of course this extra muscle is related both to the gassing and to his KO power.

BULLSHIT! theres no way any book was paying out 2-1 odds on Belfort, of all people, finishing within the distance...

I remember getting a pretty sweet line for Belfort inside distance but +200 still sounds quite good for that fight.

i thought the stand up was fine

weidman would be favourite

okami and sonnen even odds

If you thought the stand-up was fine, you're delusional.

I don't care if he was accommodating Franklin or not, that has nothing to do with getting a title opportunity. Should we give every fighter who agrees to fight an opponent who comes in overweight an instant title opportunity in any weight class?? That seems to be what's happening here.

And you are fooling yourself if you think Vitor earned his shot at Jones. It was handed to him.

Idiot, he very clearly said that "earn" had nothing to do with it. The UFC needed a replacement fighter to face Jones, they chose Vitor. I've quoted the post you were replying to right here. You can see it with your own eyes, or can you not read?

He didn't "earn" a title shot, nor is anybody claiming he did. UFC needed someone to fight Jones and that's the end of it.

If Josh Koscheck subbed him... just imagine what Jones would do

Some people learn new tricks and sharpen up their defenses. Around that same stage at that career Anderson was losing to Takase and Chonan.

Others on the other hand were being subbed then and still get subbed now like Chael.

Rumble has power and not much else. He will never excel at any weight class except perhaps in the smaller orgs. Why do you think he was cutting so drastically?

you can take out the "rumble vs. vitor" in your title and basically fill it with any other fight ever. people are stupid and will make any fighter out to be a can or top 5 based on who they're trying to discredit or praise. rumble is an absolute animal and it was a great win for vitor. people try to say it's not a legit mw win cuz rumble didn't make weight. i never understood this. he fought a lhw while he was a mw but it doesn't affect his standing in the mw div?

The standups were bad but those illegal elbows were egregious.

Rumble's legit, I don't think anyone could make a real credible argument against that. He was definitely getting the better of Belfort before he gassed. My guess is he takes that fight at 205. A lot of Rumble's problems came from cutting too much weight. I'd love to see him back in the UFC at 205. I think he'd eventually settle in the top 5.

Rumble is mediocre at best. he hit Vitor with one good punch when he dove into his guard after the first takedown. After that he had almost nothing (one other takedown).

It's a stretch to say that Rumble was getting the better of Vitor. Yes he might have won the round on points but you could clearly see that Rumble was ineffective inside of Vitor's guard from the very beginning, and anyone who knows anything realized immediately that this meant big trouble for Johnson.

Didn't read the OP, just going to use this as an excuse to bring some of these gems back-

45ZpE.jpg

shamedrumble-kanestar.jpg

picture.php

ajfat.jpg

I thought Mars would be bigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back