Reps

$uperman

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I do low reps and relatively high weights. I can feel it on my body.

When I do high reps and relatively low weights. Than my body feels good.

High reps with relatively low weights feels healthier.

When I do low reps and relatively high weights. I can feel it on my body.

When I do high reps and relatively low weights. Than my body feels good.

High reps with relatively low weights feels healthier.

What do you consider low reps vs high reps? Also, when you do heavier weight, is your form still locked in? And how old are you?

What do you consider low reps vs high reps? Also, when you do heavier weight, is your form still locked in? And how old are you?

Low reps 5 or less.

High reps 10 or more

I think I have normal form.

I am 39 years old.

A month a go I did 300 reps Kettlebell Swings with 24 kilo (52,8 lbs).

Last edited:
Low reps 5 or less.

High reps 10 or more

I think I have normal form.

I am 39 years old.

I'm 42 and I generally keep my rep range between 6-12, but I aim to go as heavy as I can to complete my reps with good form, but such that I wouldn't be able to get another rep without my form deteriorating. I'm not doing grinding 3-5 rep sets, and I don't think my body would hold up if I tried, especially with the other stuff I do. lift to feel better and to help my jiu jitsu, not to be a powerlifter.

I'm definitely not doing 300 reps of anything, though. That was more of a conditioning day, or what?

Disclaimer: I'm just some broken down guy who should not be giving advice.

I'm 42 and I generally keep my rep range between 6-12, but I aim to go as heavy as I can to complete my reps with good form, but such that I wouldn't be able to get another rep without my form deteriorating. I'm not doing grinding 3-5 rep sets, and I don't think my body would hold up if I tried, especially with the other stuff I do. lift to feel better and to help my jiu jitsu, not to be a powerlifter.

I'm definitely not doing 300 reps of anything, though. That was more of a conditioning day, or what?

Disclaimer: I'm just some broken down guy who should not be giving advice.

I train to become lean muscular, strong and fit.

When I did a lot of reps with Kettlebell Swing, I became leaner, more muscular, stronger and fitter.

I think doing a lot of reps builds muscle. I saw American prison documentaries and those men did high reps push ups, dips, pull ups and they were muscular and looked strong.

If you see results then no one is going to argue that you should change. 300 reps of anything out side of cardio is a lot of mental.

If you get bored with high reps, mix it up for mid reps and slight increase of weight.

Doing high reps is going to build muscular endurance and help shed fat/bodyweight akin to cardio. Looking strong and being strong are two different things. You can do 300 deadlift/squats/etc reps but you won't have a big 1 rep max which is typically a measure of absolute strength.

If you're making an argument for doing more conditioning as you get older to reduce injuries and improve overall well being then maybe you'd have a better point. But strictly from a strength stand point you're not getting better results from doing high or very high rep sets. At the end of the day load is king when it comes to building absolute strength.

300 continuous swings, or 300 cumulative swings.

The “why” behind the reps is pretty important as various rep ranges will cause a different outcome.

300 continuous swings, or 300 cumulative swings.

The “why” behind the reps is pretty important as various rep ranges will cause a different outcome.

30 x 10 Kettlebell Swings.

I did it in less than 1 hour.

Doing high reps is going to build muscular endurance and help shed fat/bodyweight akin to cardio. Looking strong and being strong are two different things. You can do 300 deadlift/squats/etc reps but you won't have a big 1 rep max which is typically a measure of absolute strength.

If you're making an argument for doing more conditioning as you get older to reduce injuries and improve overall well being then maybe you'd have a better point. But strictly from a strength stand point you're not getting better results from doing high or very high rep sets. At the end of the day load is king when it comes to building absolute strength.

With all due respect I do not even believe "muscular endurance training" by doing high reps barbells movements is even a thing.

With all due respect I do not even believe "muscular endurance training" by doing high reps barbells movements is even a thing.

Crossfit?

You don't need to use a barbell, you can use kettlebells, dumbbells, stones, sandbags/duffellbags, self made contraptions(including various modified barbells), etc.....but barbell is probably the most efficient platform to use for lifting weights. It typically allows for greater weights which helps to prioritize strength even when it crosses into other athletic qualities like endurance.

You can find plenty of videos on Youtube.

Yeah, I don't know about that chief. Do you have any literature to back that up?

Last edited:
I do 7-12. I aim for 8. More if the reps feel easy on the weight.

Doing more reps increases body's ability to work longer. Pretty simple. 12 reps is more muscle endurance then 5 reps. It's easy to grasp.

Doing more reps increases body's ability to work longer. Pretty simple. 12 reps is more muscle endurance then 5 reps. It's easy to grasp.

Increasing absolute strength makes doing submaximal efforts easier. You do not get stronger by doing nothing but high reps. It is a terrible way to try to increase increase "muscular endurance". The term muscular endurance doesn't actually mean anything. You train for strength and you train endurance separately for whatever your goal is.

Increasing absolute strength makes doing submaximal efforts easier. You do not get stronger by doing nothing but high reps. It is a terrible way to try to increase increase "muscular endurance". The term muscular endurance doesn't actually mean anything. You train for strength and you train endurance separately for whatever your goal is.

I disagree. Maximal strength makes lower reps easier. But it's still specific. Now go do your 70% for a lot of more reps and see if you gass, with lower rest times.

Endurance of using strength. Yes it means something.

There are obviously different aspects of endurance just like there are different aspects of strength. Someone at a boxing gym may do a shitload of pushups to get their arms used to constantly being in use throughout rounds. You can argue semantics all you want, but they are specifically training for muscle endurance in upper body. That endurance will probably translate very little to long runs. Similarly, I could outlift everyone at our boxing gym, but it doesn't mean that I could beat them at any test of muscle endurance as I'd get smoked. Similarly, I'd get to a higher 20 rep max on squat by training 20 reps vs. just increasing my 1 RM. In fact, when I have my strongest 1 RM, my 20 RM is probably shit.

There are obviously different aspects of endurance just like there are different aspects of strength. Someone at a boxing gym may do a shitload of pushups to get their arms used to constantly being in use throughout rounds. You can argue semantics all you want, but they are specifically training for muscle endurance in upper body. That endurance will probably translate very little to long runs. Similarly, I could outlift everyone at our boxing gym, but it doesn't mean that I could beat them at any test of muscle endurance as I'd get smoked. Similarly, I'd get to a higher 20 rep max on squat by training 20 reps vs. just increasing my 1 RM. In fact, when I have my strongest 1 RM, my 20 RM is probably shit.

You guys are free to do whatever you like of course. I absolutely do not believe your last two sentences though.

You guys are free to do whatever you like of course. I absolutely do not believe your last two sentences though.

I've literally done it. When I squatted 315 lbs x 20, I was squatting in the mid 400s. I hit a plateau there for a while. When I got up to 500 lbs, there is no way that I was squatting 315 lbs x 20 without training it. I was mainly doing lower reps at that point. There is definitely crossover between 1RM and higher reps, but 20 RM is another beast and training specifically for it will get you far better results. I do not know how this is even arguable.

Back