Reps

I'm honestly baffled by some of his responses. It blows my mind that he thinks training 20 rep sets on squats is not a good plan to get better at 20 rep squats.

@pokerandbeer - have you ever done a 20 RM on squats?

Yes I have for a short time. It doesn't change the fact that exclusively training higher reps does not increases strength. If you are training for a specific event like deadlifts for reps in the case of strongman you have a point.

If that "blows you away" you must be really bored or just trying to create controversy when there is no controversy to be had.

Yes I have for a short time. It doesn't change the fact that exclusively training higher reps does not increases strength. If you are training for a specific event like deadlifts for reps in the case of strongman you have a point.

If that "blows you away" you must be really bored or just trying to create controversy when there is no controversy to be had.

I honestly don't think you know what you are even typing sometimes. You specifically disagreed with the below:

Similarly, I'd get to a higher 20 rep max on squat by training 20 reps vs. just increasing my 1 RM. In fact, when I have my strongest 1 RM, my 20 RM is probably shit.

I've literally done it. I've focused on both 20 RM and 1 RM. They are two completely different animals. Another example I just gave was Joe Sullivan was specifically training for it. Obviously he was training a shitload of high rep sets which differed from his normal training. He isn't following this genius advice that you said:

Increasing absolute strength makes doing submaximal efforts easier

While yes, that is true to a degree, it doesn't address the endurance needed for high rep sets. It doesn't address the pacing necessary. You are going to train for high reps specifically if you want to get better at them - not just increasing strength at lower reps.

While training for a 20 RM, my 1RM is going to likely suffer as I'm not going to be adapted to heavy loads for a while. If I'm focusing on a 1RM, I'm likely not going to be doing high reps for a while and out of practice with it. Here's a crazy notion - you get better at the activity you are looking to improve by doing said activity!

I honestly don't think you know what you are even typing sometimes. You specifically disagreed with the below:

I've literally done it. I've focused on both 20 RM and 1 RM. They are two completely different animals. Another example I just gave was Joe Sullivan was specifically training for it. Obviously he was training a shitload of high rep sets which differed from his normal training. He isn't following this genius advice that you said:

While yes, that is true to a degree, it doesn't address the endurance needed for high rep sets. It doesn't address the pacing necessary. You are going to train for high reps specifically if you want to get better at them - not just increasing strength at lower reps.

While training for a 20 RM, my 1RM is going to likely suffer as I'm not going to be adapted to heavy loads for a while. If I'm focusing on a 1RM, I'm likely not going to be doing high reps for a while and out of practice with it. Here's a crazy notion - you get better at the activity you are looking to improve by doing said activity!

What is the point though other than for sports that require that? What sport is it better to train for a 20rm other than strongman? Other than that specific sport there is no reason to train higher reps like that guy talks about in the video I posted.

Why would saying that increasing max strength makes sub max effort easier be a "genius" advice? It is common sense.

What is the point though other than for sports that require that? What sport is it better to train for a 20rm other than strongman? Other than that specific sport there is no reason to train higher reps like that guy talks about in the video I posted.

It's just like I said in an earlier post. I'm positive I can overhead press more than anyone at the boxing gym, but they can probably do sets of 15 with just as much weight. Why? Because that's what they focus on. All of their lifting is muscle endurance based because that's what they need for boxing. Let's say one of them had the same bench press as me - I can almost guarantee you they'd outrep me with something like 225 lbs. If I were to ever focus on something like boxing or MMA, I'd still lift heavy, but I'd definitely be incorporating a lot more high rep sets too. I'd say those are very applicable to sports that require endurance.

You were advocating higher reps for someone wanting to increase their deadlift 1rm in another thread.

Why would saying that increasing max strength makes sub max effort easier be a "genius" advice? It is common sense.

It's not as simple as that and not linear. If I add 10% to my 1RM, I certainly would not expect a 10% increase to a 10 RM if I have mainly been training <5 reps. As I said before, and many other lifters are harping on this, lifting is not just a display of strength. It is a skill that you need to practice just like any sport. The ability to be efficient at high reps is a skill.

It's just like I said in an earlier post. I'm positive I can overhead press more than anyone at the boxing gym, but they can probably do sets of 15 with just as much weight. Why? Because that's what they focus on. All of their lifting is muscle endurance based because that's what they need for boxing. Let's say one of them had the same bench press as me - I can almost guarantee you they'd outrep me with something like 225 lbs. If I were to ever focus on something like boxing or MMA, I'd still lift heavy, but I'd definitely be incorporating a lot more high rep sets too. I'd say those are very applicable to sports that require endurance.

Thats sounds reasonable to me.

It is relevant because you cannot just train high reps and increase strength. You have to have heavy load on the bar to increase strength. This is referencing the OP.
It's confusing that in the "Deadlift Plateau" thread you told the op sets of 12-15 were fine for increasing strength, but here you are arguing the other way.

It's confusing that in the "Deadlift Plateau" thread you told the op sets of 12-15 were fine for increasing strength, but here you are arguing the other way.

You are not worth the time to give a response to but you need to re read exactly what I said.

It's not as simple as that and not linear. If I add 10% to my 1RM, I certainly would not expect a 10% increase to a 10 RM if I have mainly been training <5 reps. As I said before, and many other lifters are harping on this, lifting is not just a display of strength. It is a skill that you need to practice just like any sport. The ability to be efficient at high reps is a skill.
Yes. I've squatted 425 for a 10rm in the past. That was roughly a 20lb increase over my old 10rm. However, my squat max didn't increase by much. Walking the weight out, bracing, and stabilizing max load were the main issues I had a problem with.

What is the point on doing 5 heavy reps ? Doing 20 reps is actually healthier and harder to do. And of course you increase strength doing 8-20 reps.

What is the point in chasing max 5 reps besides to show off or do powerlifting. I mean it's your body your decisions.

I just wonder what about 5x max is superior to 8-15?

Health, athleticism or looks ?

Any training is good. Going for 5 x max is the most dangerous cause heaviest weight = potentially worst injuries.

I’m the entire opposite. Low reps and high intensity makes me feel way less beat up. Higher reps always give me tendinitis and achy joints

More reps is harder to do the 5 x then 3 minutes rest. It's more demanding and taxing. The tendon thing is personal, warm up properly, good Form, not lifting more heavy then beneficial aka ego loads. Diet rest. Age and tear on the body.

Beer poker man it's fine that your goal is max strength lifts for short reps. Why bash everyone else's training goals ?

Just ask what people's goals are and give advice based of that instead of claiming your methods are superior. There are no superior goals it's individual.

Back