Reps

More reps is harder to do the 5 x then 3 minutes rest. It's more demanding and taxing. The tendon thing is personal, warm up properly, good Form, not lifting more heavy then beneficial aka ego loads. Diet rest. Age and tear on the body.
Harder is subjective. I’ve done the 20 rep squat deal before, got to 325 for 20. It’s hard as fuck, but didn’t really do anything special other than say I did it. When my endurance is good more reps are easier, when I’m a little chubby, hammering down carbs and lifting heavy than higher reps are harder. Maybe it’s a personal thing, but I have a very physical job as a mason and also do some grappling and Muay Thai. I am able to progress my lifts and not feel like shit with very low heavy reps, but I burnout and wreck myself for work the next day with high reps.

Harder is subjective. I’ve done the 20 rep squat deal before, got to 325 for 20. It’s hard as fuck, but didn’t really do anything special other than say I did it. When my endurance is good more reps are easier, when I’m a little chubby, hammering down carbs and lifting heavy than higher reps are harder. Maybe it’s a personal thing, but I have a very physical job as a mason and also do some grappling and Muay Thai. I am able to progress my lifts and not feel like shit with very low heavy reps, but I burnout and wreck myself for work the next day with high reps.

Yes overall workload. Good Strategy. Phisical job, Muay thai, grappling and lower number of sets. Nothing unlogical here. Body can takes as much as it can. Central Nervous system. There is such a thing as too much.

Last edited:
You guys are free to do whatever you like of course. I absolutely do not believe your last two sentences though.
So you actually believe that if my goal is to smash the record for push ups completed consecutively, I should just be throwing as much weight as possible on my back or trying to bench press as much as I can instead of just doing lots of pushups?

So you actually believe that if my goal is to smash the record for push ups completed consecutively, I should just be throwing as much weight as possible on my back or trying to bench press as much as I can instead of just doing lots of pushups?

you won’t get stronger from push-ups unless you are loading them.

y
ou won’t get stronger from push-ups unless you are loading them.
You will actually but you're not gonna get the same kind of results as some who specifically trains for a 1rep max. You're still obviously going to be stronger than someone who does no type of strength training at all. But you claimed that high rep training was a myth, as if you can't improve your ability to get better at high rep movements by training higher reps

You will actually but you're not gonna get the same kind of results as some who specifically trains for a 1rep max. You're still obviously going to be stronger than someone who does no type of strength training at all. But you claimed that high rep training was a myth, as if you can't improve your ability to get better at high rep movements by training higher reps

the first part of your post here answers your own assertion. You cannot do endless amount of high rep push-ups and get stronger. External load is required other than a rank beginner.

Last edited:
the first part of your post here answers your own assertion. You cannot do endless amount of high rep push-ups and get stronger. External load is required other than a rank beginner.

It comes down to goals/objectives. So yes you can potentially keep progressing without using significantly more weight. You can utilize aspects of balance, plyometrics, unilateral, tempo, bands, chains, etc to make an exercise more and more challenging. Also some people do in fact perform hundreds of reps for things like push ups, squats, etc. Volume can be effective at building muscle endurance and some amount of absolute strength. No one is claiming it will build the same absolute strength as doing heavy barbell lifts.

When you break the world record for pushups by only doing bodyweight pushups go ahead holler back in this thread!

When you break the world record for pushups by only doing bodyweight pushups go ahead holler back in this thread!

DANIEL'S TRAINING ROUTINE
MORNING - 2 hours

5am - start the day with a morning meditation

200 push-ups and sit-ups

2minute cold shower

Attend HIIT fitness class

1km run

200 push-ups

600 resisted arm curls

LUNCH TIME - 1 hour

Gym workout training two different muscle groups, completing six exercises for each muscle group

300 sit-ups and push-ups

AFTER WORK - 5 hours

5pm to 10pm - 5-hour consecutive plank

More sit-ups and push-ups
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...reveals-gruelling-workout-starts-5am-DAY.html

DANIEL'S TRAINING ROUTINE
MORNING - 2 hours

5am - start the day with a morning meditation

200 push-ups and sit-ups

2minute cold shower

Attend HIIT fitness class

1km run

200 push-ups

600 resisted arm curls

LUNCH TIME - 1 hour

Gym workout training two different muscle groups, completing six exercises for each muscle group

300 sit-ups and push-ups

AFTER WORK - 5 hours

5pm to 10pm - 5-hour consecutive plank

More sit-ups and push-ups
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...reveals-gruelling-workout-starts-5am-DAY.html

that is all great. When you do it holler back!

that is all great. When you do it holler back!
The discussion was never about what I as an individual can achieve. It was about how to train for certain goals, in this case high rep muscle endurance. You know fuck all about what you're talking about and that's why strength and conditioning coaches who work with athletes in endurance sports, as well as militaries all across the world don't do what you're suggesting

The discussion was never about what I as an individual can achieve. It was about how to train for certain goals, in this case high rep muscle endurance. You know fuck all about what you're talking about and that's why strength and conditioning coaches who work with athletes in endurance sports, as well as militaries all across the world don't do what you're suggesting

What exactly am I suggesting and who told you that militaries and S/C coaches know what they are talking about?

also you seem to be pretty angry

What exactly am I suggesting and who told you that militaries and S/C coaches know what they are talking about?

also you seem to be pretty angry
They don't seem angry at all.

Don't pull the classic internet move of calling someone angry because you don't like/disagree with what they're saying. It's lame as fuck lol.

So this thread is now life relevant. Have the boy (17) doing a New Years Goals chart to work towards. Some basics SBD, then some for his interest curls, push ups, pull ups.
We work in 5-12 rep ranges, not 1RM style.

Do we train heavy pull ups to get better at doing 30 of them body weight? Same with push ups, do we do 100# weighted push ups to get better at doing 100 reps of body weight?

( I know the 2 are counter productive. More weight vs higher reps. We just do general functional fitness, not competitive or sport specific)

So this thread is now life relevant. Have the boy (17) doing a New Years Goals chart to work towards. Some basics SBD, then some for his interest curls, push ups, pull ups.

Do we train heavy pull ups to get better at doing 30 of them body weight? Same with push ups, do we do 100# weighted push ups to get better at doing 100 reps of body weight?

( I know the 2 are counter productive. More weight vs higher reps. We just do general functional fitness, not competitive or sport specific)

The answer is yes. Some form of resistance added will be the much more efficient way to get better at pushups and pull ups. 1rm on SBD doesn't have to be a focus at all in your training if ever.

Highly disagree with @pokerandbeer. I feel he's often giving the most generic "get stronger" advice that was in fashion 15 years ago. Most people now realize it's far more nuanced than that, but he's still stuck.

I never got to 30 pullups, but I got to 20+. While I agree adding weight does get you better at increasing reps, 30 is a different animal (similar to my argument with 20 rep squats). So for example, if you are working to get to something like 10, you are probably going to get there best with a fairly even mix of BW and adding some resistance. When you are getting to 20+, you will be best mainly training BW - greasing the groove, cluster sets, tempo reps so that you are on the bar a long time, etc. You'll find that a lot of the calisthenic guys that can do a shitload of pullups/chins/dips etc. primarily train with BW only. As I said when talking about 20 RM on squat - the best way to get good at a goal is to primarily train similar to the goal.

I never got to 30 pullups, but I got to 20+. While I agree adding weight does get you better at increasing reps, 30 is a different animal (similar to my argument with 20 rep squats). .
Thought about those 20 rep squats the other day doing warm ups with a plate. Started feeling it after 10. Weight didn't get any heavier, legs weren't cooperating the same at 15. 20 with more plates sounded like torture.

Thanks for the pull up advice. 30 was a spit ball number. He just started getting into working out and still finding what style he wants to go after. I'm short n stocky, he's 4 inches taller and 65lbs lighter so we move different lol.

Back