Remember when McGregor ducked...

So, once? I can't think of another champion would wouldn't just pull out.

Yeah, but to be fair, I can't think of another champion that gets such odd matches offered to him, or another champion who gets to hand pick his opponents.

He was ranked higher for like two days, then "coincidentally" Edgar passed Mendes in the rankings right after they booked Mendes vs. Conor.

That would be surprising to me... Can you deliver proof for that?

I'm not arguing abou that, but Mendes has been beating everyone in the FW division except Aldo at that time. And that fight was competitive.
I wouldn't even have argued if Frankie was ranked above him at that time ... it was basically a tie, but there was no real reason for bumping Mendes from #1.
People would have shit on McGregor had he taken the Edgar short notice fight for ducking Mendes.
It wouldn't really have mattered in the end.

lol what? You saw the future where Conor beats Edgar?

That would have definitely been a tougher fight for Conor. Edgar was actually training and campaigning nonstop for the fight unlike Mendes.

He was pretty much just asked by Dana if he wanted the fight and he gifted it to him.

Yeah, but to be fair, I can't think of another champion that gets such odd matches offered to him, or another champion who gets to hand pick his opponents.
Jon jones didn't accept chael, it doesn't get much easier than that. No one has taken a fight like this before, they usually pull out even when given easier options.

That would be surprising to me... Can you deliver proof for that?

Ironically enough, when the new rankings were released earlier this week, it was Edgar who was inexplicably sitting at No. 1, while Mendes dropped to No. 2.

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/7/1/88...chad-mendes-was-picked-over-frankie-edgar-mma

bottom of the article.

b7kz8x.jpg

Last edited:
Jon jones didn't accept chael, it doesn't get much easier than that. No one has taken a fight like this before, they usually pull out even when given easier options.

That's not a very similar situation at all. I'm not questioning conor's balls; I'm just saying he gets the oddest fucking matches, and he has a hand in choosing his opponents.

We can be appreciative of McGregor's willingness to fight a different opponent at the scheduled date and at the same understand he didn't take the toughest challenge available (Khabib). Sadly, imo, the Nate fight at 170lbs makes the least sense considering Pettis was available and Cerrone was also ready to go and these would be more meaningful fights to cement his claim to fight for the LW title.

We can be appreciative of McGregor's willingness to fight a different opponent at the scheduled date and at the same understand he didn't take the toughest challenge available (Khabib). Sadly, imo, the Nate fight at 170lbs makes the least sense considering Pettis was available and Cerrone was also ready to go and these would be more meaningful fights to cement his claim to fight for the LW title.

Thank you.

lol what? You saw the future where Conor beats Edgar?

That would have definitely been a tougher fight for Conor. Edgar was actually training and campaigning nonstop for the fight unlike Mendes.

He was pretty much just asked by Dana if he wanted the fight and he gifted it to him.

I do believe that McGregor beats Edgar in a fight, yes.
Edgar being more competitive than Mendes is pure conjecture though.
Just because he beat Mendes in a fight, doesn't make him more competitive against McGregor. You know very well that extrapolating based on past fights doesn't work. If you do believe that to be that case, I'll just checkmate you by saying Edgar lost to Aldo.

That being said, I wouldn't be mad if that fight happened.

Well, I stand corrected. That is indeed odd...
Thanks for providing that. the ranking are made by the media though, right? I wonder what caused them to make that change.

Who knows. I'm a frankie fan, so I'm biased. I had no problem that they picked Mendes at the time, but I think anyone with a brain would have known that Edgar's cardio is always on point, where as Mendes has had cardio issues in the past.

That's not a very similar situation at all. I'm not questioning conor's balls; I'm just saying he gets the oddest fucking matches, and he has a hand in choosing his opponents.
Everyone has a hand in choosing their opponents, they can either say yes to the options presented to them or they can say no. Has Conor said yes or no?

Conor has created the position he's in where he has more viable options to agree to than most fighters do. He's not hand picking, he's created those opportunities along the way so he has more options that the ufc are willing to put on.

It also helps that the fish are clambering over each other to jump into the boat because of the payday it means to fight him, which again is value he himself has created. He has options because he created them along the way, so even in your perspective of no one being presented with the offers he has, he's still unique for having gotten himself into the position of having them available to him on this sort of notice.

But frankly, i don't recall anyone doing anything remotely similar in the past. Everyone waits for the title shot or the preparation time for a new opponent when they have something to lose in terms of legacy/titles etc

I can understand that people don't like McGregor but to harp on him not supposedly fighting tough enough opponents is downright stupid. The agenda behind that is so obvious, but anyone that's willing to step up a weight class and fight a fighter like RDA should pretty much have quality of opponents be the last thing on the complaint list. I don't remember anyone with anything to lose asking to fight opponents the quality of RDA in a division above.

Everyone has a hand in choosing their opponents, they can either say yes to the options presented to them or they can say no. Has Conor said yes or no?

Conor has created the position he's in where he has more viable options to agree to than most fighters do. He's not hand picking, he's created those opportunities along the way so he has more options that the ufc are willing to put on.

It also helps that the fish are clambering over each other to jump into the boat because of the payday it means to fight him, which again is value he himself has created. He has options because he created them along the way, so even in your perspective of no one being presented with the offers he has, he's still unique for having gotten himself into the position of having them available to him on this sort of notice.

But frankly, i don't recall anyone doing anything remotely similar in the past. Everyone waits for the title shot or the preparation time for a new opponent when they have something to lose in terms of legacy/titles etc

"Conor has created the position he's in where he has more viable options to agree to than most fighters do."

He's been hand picking opponents since Siver.

f5cc2o.jpg

"Conor has created the position he's in where he has more viable options to agree to than most fighters do."

He's been hand picking opponents since Siver.

f5cc2o.jpg
Poor retort. It doesn't refute that Conor accepts where historically other fighters have always refused and waited, and that McGregor has created a unique set of circumstances because of that fact. Your use of "hand picked" as a piece of language to describe the circumstances is as far off base as it is purposefully ignorant.

Poor retort. It doesn't refute that Conor accepts where historically other fighters have always refused and waited,

Why would I refute that? HAve you been paying attention to what I've been saying? Are you conversing with your own projected problems right now?

that McGregor has created a unique set of circumstances because of that fact. Your use of "hand picked" as a piece of language to describe the circumstances is as far off base as it is purposefully ignorant.

It doesn't change that historically, there was no other fighter with as much power and control as Conor, Which is basically what you've already agreed to. I really don't know what you're arguing here; you're agreeing with me, but then citing reasons for why you agree with me.

Last edited:
It doesn't change that historically, there was no other fighter with as much power and control as Conor, Which is basically what you've already agreed to. I really don't know what you're arguing here; you're agreeing with me, but then citing reasons for why you agree with me.
Because i think to refer to the circumstances he's persistently dealt with as hand picking is disingenuous, that's all.

Because i think to refer to the circumstances he's persistently dealt with as hand picking is disingenuous, that's all.

I think you're putting your spin on things as a conor fan, and I'm seeing things as someone who doesn't really care about Conor.

Also that other champions have largely always pulled out in spite of the opponent offered when circumstances have been similar.

I think you're putting your spin on things as a conor fan, and I'm seeing things as someone who doesn't really care about Conor.
You've lost me. In what way am i spinning things?

Back