Social Relation of life on earth to universe

Thinking about this shit damn near makes me panic
It's only natural. We hate cognitive dissonance, and avoid it at all costs. Thinking about things like this can be stressful, because ultimately we will never know. There's the lingering feeling that life may not have a purpose or meaning.

I hate thinking about this shit because we are really insignificant and our lives mean nothing basically. I will go down in history as a sherdogger though.

Thinking about this shit damn near makes me panic
I was just thinking that before I read your post. Feel both fascinated with, and freaked out, by the relations in size. Which leads to a feeling of sudden panic when I wonder what’s the point, is my life real, is this some sort of experiment, if its an experiment/simulation what happens when I die, why am I here, why are we here, and back to what’s the point. Then that subsides and I go back to appreciating the fact I have this life at all and can ponder these things. Weird.

We're only as important as you think we are. The search for meaning used to occupy me a lot when I was younger. I don't think there is any meaning though. I don't mean that in a negative sense. Reality is just here, and it is whatever you make of it. I don't think the larger universe really cares whether or not humans exist. Any more than we care about ants.

Lifes a bitch and then you die

Thats why we get high

Lifes a bitch and then you die

Thats why we get high
The more you think there has to be some great meaning, the sadder it gets imo. There's no meaning, we're just here. Knowing what I do about stats, I take satisfaction in somehow being an extreme outlier. Many that grew up like I did are dead or in prison by now. But for whatever reason, I'm not! Good enough for me. Lifes a miserable bastard, but sure it could be worse.

I think part of the evidence is that space time appears to be flat, which should be unlikely.
The best argument for why it appears to be so unlikely flat, is that the curve is too gradual to observe.

In other-wards we are just ignorant flat-universers that don't have the tools or skills to realize the universe is a "globe".

That's really not what is meant by flat really. Flat means the universe expands forever.

Gizmo's home planet is floating in space for billion of years. Think about that!<Gizmo01>

Ive delved into this topic myself as well. For hours non stop.....

The honest truth is we have no fucken idea. The brightest minds dont know either, they have hit a wall. You see true smart ones (scientists, philosophers, etc) all the time make claims about what they think but its all speculation at that point. They really dont know.

The amount of unanswered questions of the Universe is mind boggling especially the mystery of life.

I have always been of the mindset that life is wildly abundant throughout the universe.

If you look at it realistically, there is several planets similar to ours in shape, mass, distance to there Stars to be an ideal for life. A genius mathematician called Frank Drake actually made a very conservative calculation on chances of life. He factored in the billions of stars in milky way, planets possibly orbiting at right distance to a star and various other factors. On low end he had 1000 civilizations in milky way on high end 100 million. The milky way is fucken huge so 100 million is possible....

This is only an estimate for Mily Way. Thats one insignificant galaxy in an ocean of billions of possible galaxies. Do you know what that means??? Even if you take him on his very conservative estimate of 1000 civilizations per galaxy and multiply that by the endless billions of galaxies. You get an insane number of possible places where life can be... into the high billions off a conservative estimate.

Think the real obstacle is our distance from each other. Even short trips within our tiny spec of sand solar system, takes light years to get anywhere. Everything is so far away for travel. Hell even our neighbor planet Mars which is fucken close takes years to get to moving non stop in space.

Anyone that doesnt think abundant life is a legit real possibility in the Universe hasn’t thought hard enough about the idea.
at the same time, all that matter where life could exist and thats needed to exist like stars, makes up less then 5% of the matter in the obs. universe, the rest goes to dark matter and dark energy,
so again, wtf is that. Arent all those bilions of stars and galaxies enough ?
Also , if you just leave a side those size relations for a while, and focus on life, on a larger scale , its not just you are far smaller then a particle , but life didn't request to appear , at least we are not aware of that during our lifetime, eg. did you asked to be born? Did you give yourself a name , and are you asking to die ? To what extent you can influence things around you ? Even with the biggest reach you could eventually destroy the Earth with nuclear power but even for that I am not sure. And even if you achive that how would that make any impact on our solar system , galaxy and so on .

Do you know why the universe is so large? If it weren't it would not last long enough for the millions of years needed for life to evolve on earth.
makes sense , but then again, when you think about all that magic , power , knowledge and whatever was needed to even 'create' the universe, you could question why is/was not possible to enable life
in smaler universe in less time . Or is life just a coincidence and not planned at all.

As an amateur astronomer I love these 2 charts. Such a mind boggling scale! Especially when you see how tiny our sun is compared to some of the giants on the second chart.

8BF39DF1-DBD0-4D73-BF20-CD44BF6A45FF.jpeg
398E3A9C-957F-40E6-8A07-F0AB72AA92FC.jpeg

What is it ?
When you think about it , it does get more and more strange more you think about it.

So just when you think about the size relations ,its a wtf very soon.
We are so small in relation to the planet we are living on that its astonishing.
Then if you go further , you see the size and importance of the Sun , and how Earth is small comparing to sun. Then you just stop for a moment to remind yourself we are living on this 'small' Earth.

Then , of course you can go further and understand galaxies , other stars, and finally the size of the 'observable universe'.
Can you compare us to the size of the observable universe ? Does that make any sense at all ?
There is a saying that relation of the size of the observable universe to the size of the whole universe is like relation of the size of the atom to the size of the human being.

So what do you say, how does all this makes any sense at all ? What are we doing here , why, and why are we so small and at the same time we should be so important ?

We are food, just like everything else that's alive. We're just very advanced food. You can compare us to the size of the observable universe easily, because humans have very strange imaginations that allow us to invent all sorts of stuff.

Something you might be interested in TS: “Dark forest theory” holds that civilizations fear one another so much that they don't dare to reveal themselves lest they immediately be considered a potential threat and destroyed.

That's really not what is meant by flat really. Flat means the universe expands forever.

That's not how I understand it, but they are related.
A universe could be infinite or finite, curved or flat, and open or closed curve.

If the universe is flat we could measure distant points in the cosmos we would see their distances and angles would work out in Euclidean geometry. But if the measurements are non-Euclidean, the angles of a triangle > 180, that would mean the universe is curved.
If it has positive curvature, it might be a closed universe or like a "globe". If it has negative curvature, it would hyperbolic, which could either be open or closed.

All I was saying, is that our current measurements may not be accurate enough to determine the difference between flat and almost flat.

That's not how I understand it, but they are related.
A universe could be infinite or finite, curved or flat, and open or closed curve.

If the universe is flat we could measure distant points in the cosmos we would see their distances and angles would work out in Euclidean geometry. But if the measurements are non-Euclidean, the angles of a triangle > 180, that would mean the universe is curved.
If it has positive curvature, it might be a closed universe or like a "globe". If it has negative curvature, it would hyperbolic, which could either be open or closed.

All I was saying, is that our current measurements may not be accurate enough to determine the difference between flat and almost flat.

Right, but you were saying the curve was too difficult to observe. We're not really measuring a curve, we're measuring energy density which is related to how much total kinetic energy the universe has compared to its potential energy. It is related to the sum of the angles in a triangle, but most people when they think of flat, think of a sheet of paper. In spactime topologies, flat isn't necessarily a sheet of paper.

Right, but you were saying the curve was too difficult to observe. We're not really measuring a curve, we're measuring energy density which is related to how much total kinetic energy the universe has compared to its potential energy. It is related to the sum of the angles in a triangle, but most people when they think of flat, think of a sheet of paper. In spactime topologies, flat isn't necessarily a sheet of paper.

True, I was being a little cheeky with my flat earth analogy.

Back