Recent fights/results/news from ONE Championship

I wonder if ONE will be able to buy the top Chinese stars, I'd especially like to see them nab Qiu Jianliang.
I think the top Japanese/Chinese guys would be too comfortable in the likes of K-1/Glory of Heroes to go to ONE tbh.

ONE is good for Thai fighters and fighters from other countries without a big org.

Maybe ONE are gradually working up to that but there are many complications not only financially but also politically with the stadiums and so on. In an ideal world I would love all the top guys in thailand to switch over to ONE. I'm with Samart in the argument that gamblers have ruined the sport and if you truly love this sport you'd want them on a platform like ONE over the stadiums. Hiding them away from (most) of the world in the stadiums feels like a waste.

Also there's the debate about the little differences that people think mean nothing but make a big difference. Muaythai elitists assume stadium guys are always the best strikers and although its true this is only with certain fighters. Others wouldn't be as effective in these environments. You start bringing in some of those Japaneses, Chinese and the occasional western guy I think you'd be surprised how many of these elites would lose. Nationalism/tribalism sells so mixing these weight classes with different nationalities helps ONE.

Samart is a curmudgeon with a "it was better in my day" attitude.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeKzVb2vff_pRr1tdyHP9uw
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC7nYaIZTYYgqECTbRaXFA4A

Watch fights from the 70's and 80's and you'll see the structure of the fights were largely the same as they are today -- clearly gambling influenced. And why wasn't gambling ruining the sport in the "golden era" when the biggest gym bosses were being murdered? The gambling reliance in the sport isn't ideal, but it's a tired talking point. If someone wants to find a reason for why "it ain't what it used to be" they can easily find it (electronics, social media, soccer etc.) without bringing up gambling.

ONE is a fly-by-night promotion, which means they have no infrastructure. The sport of Muay Thai (in Thailand) is not a promotion and does have infrastructure. Thankfully your sadistic dream won't come true.

Edit: Gambling this, gambling that: how often do you see a great Muay Thai fight outside of the Thai circuit? The best fights and fighting are still there.

Last edited:

Watch fights from the 70's and 80's and you'll see the structure of the fights were largely the same as they are today -- clearly gambling influenced. And why wasn't gambling ruining the sport in the "golden era" when the biggest gym bosses were being murdered? The gambling reliance in the sport isn't ideal, but it's a tired talking point. If someone wants to find a reason for why "it ain't what it used to be" they can easily find it (electronics, social media, soccer etc.) without bringing up gambling.

ONE is a fly-by-night promotion, which means they have no infrastructure. The sport of Muay Thai (in Thailand) is not a promotion and does have infrastructure. Thankfully your sadistic dream won't come true.

Edit: Gambling this, gambling that: how often do you see a great Muay Thai fight outside of the Thai circuit? The best fights and fighting are still there.
True, but it's undeniably entertaining.

Lets be honest here most casuals I speak to call stadiums fights boring and a lot of the time the fighters don't get the type of attention they deserve. The gamblers are only one aspect of it. Maybe ONE doesn't have any real infrastructure as of yet but I hope that changes.

And I don't get it. Why is it a sadistic dream? I don't necessarily hate the stadiums. I still watch from time to time. Just prefer to see these type of fights on a platform like ONE.

Edit: you know what's sadistic? Gamblers poisoning fighters to win a bet.

I imagine they'll do Giorgio vs Superbon for the belt first since Superbon just beat Sittichai, maybe Marat vs Ozcan and the winner gets a title shot?

Gambling this, gambling that: how often do you see a great Muay Thai fight outside of the Thai circuit? The best fights and fighting are still there.

There are some great fights outside the Thai circuit. I could argue the main reason there are so many great stadium fights is because of how many stadium fights there are in the first place. Even if you only watch the 3 or 4 main stadiums there are cards every day. On top of that, there are also tons of boring fights in the stadiums, not every fight is great.

While gambling is part of Muay Thai in Thailand and what fills up the stadiums with a crowd and an atmosphere, I also don't like the influence it has on how the fights are fought especially when it comes to round 1 and 5, and what techniques fighters are more encouraged to use because of the gamblers. To me having a platform where all rounds matter and where fighters are not as restricted technique wise to win their fights brings the best out of the art and sport itself.

There's nothing sadistic about stadium fighters being more recognised outside of Thailand and earning much more money than they do in the stadiums.

Part of what samart was also saying was being thai doesn't just make you a great muay thai fighter and when he sees the dedication and love a lot of foreigners have for the sport as opposed to it being about money. He can see things changing in the future. That thais won't dominate as much.

There are some great fights outside the Thai circuit. I could argue the main reason there are so many great stadium fights is because of how many stadium fights there are in the first place. Even if you only watch the 3 or 4 main stadiums there are cards every day. On top of that, there are also tons of boring fights in the stadiums, not every fight is great.

While gambling is part of Muay Thai in Thailand and what fills up the stadiums with a crowd and an atmosphere, I also don't like the influence it has on how the fights are fought especially when it comes to round 1 and 5, and what techniques fighters are more encouraged to use because of the gamblers. To me having a platform where all rounds matter and where fighters are not as restricted technique wise to win their fights brings the best out of the art and sport itself.

There's nothing sadistic about stadium fighters being more recognised outside of Thailand and earning much more money than they do in the stadiums.

Such as? I'm not sure I've seen a great MT fight outside of the Thai Circuit.

There's a bias to anything that has pre fight video packages, ramps, screaming announcers, and other forms of artifice. You'll think what your watching is great even if it's not. I was told Rodtang vs Haggerty 1 was some monumental fight, though it was far from it. It was an action Thai against a game foreigner (this is the key; OMG A WHITE GUY!!!!) that ended up being a solid fight.

Yet this platform (ONE) hasn't produced a legitimately good fight or influenced the fighters to use supposed newly unrestricted techniques. They're less engaged in ONE than they are in the stadiums, just as it often is when they fight abroad in whatever promotion. These fights have little meaning to their reputations in Thailand, so basically they're just on vacation. For so long we were hearing Jay go on about science lab Superlek against white dudes -- and when it happens, the fights are dreadful. Why? Cause it's a trip.

I'm saying it's sadistic in that in his ideal world he would hope for the crumbling of the sport just so the best Thais could fight 3 times a year in bullshit fights in a promotion that that could just as well go away at any time.

Part of what samart was also saying was being thai doesn't just make you a great muay thai fighter and when he sees the dedication and love a lot of foreigners have for the sport as opposed to it being about money. He can see things changing in the future. That thais won't dominate as much.

This isn't true. Few foreigners bear the grind of living as a fighter, and a grand total of zero have done so while having the pressures of being elite at a premier weight.

Any normal Thai would enjoy seeing/watching their stars fighting against the Globe. It"s like in movies when Van Damme goes to Tong Po, just that know Tong Pos are in tournaments in Europe or other parts of Asia.

If you look at 2 of the most sucessful foreign fighters from the last few years Rafi and yousef neither are particularly naturally talented or gifted. The got to where they are through hard work and dedication. How many fights did yousef win in the stadiums from just wanting it more and being better conditioned.

Back