News Rankings Update: Marvin Vettori to #3, Arnold Allen to #8, Dern to #5

Yeah in way but lets look at the people behind him:

1) Cannonnier: Lost his last fight to Rob but prior to that he beat Anderson and Hermansson. You could make a case for him to be ahead of Vettori but Jared lost his last fight and Vettori is on a 5 fight win streak. Its not too clear who should be ahead

2) Brunson: Is on a 4 fight win streak last wins are Shabazyan and Holland. You could also make a case also for Brunson to be ahead of Marvin but same case, kind of unclear to me.

3) Till: Beat Gastelum then lost to Whittaker; prior to that he got finished by Masvidal and Woodley however in a different weight class. I dont see any way Till can be ahead of Marvin.

Perhaps I look at this stuff a little differently, but to me they established that without the Holland win, Vettori is #6. So how much is that singular win worth? He beat the #10 guy, whom Brunson already beat just prior when he was on a win streak, so a better win given that context. So I’d slot him below Brunson. Maybe I’m leaving out the context and overall picture of win streaks and such, but that’s how I look at it.

Nina Nunes. How cute.

1) Cannonnier: Lost his last fight to Rob but prior to that he beat Anderson and Hermansson. You could make a case for him to be ahead of Vettori but Jared lost his last fight and Vettori is on a 5 fight win streak. Its not too clear who should be ahead

2) Brunson: Is on a 4 fight win streak last wins are Shabazyan and Holland. You could also make a case also for Brunson to be ahead of Marvin but same case, kind of unclear to me.

3) Till: Beat Gastelum then lost to Whittaker; prior to that he got finished by Masvidal and Woodley however in a different weight class. I dont see any way Till can be ahead of Marvin.
Great answer.

Rankings are not made in a vacuum. People tend to forget that. Many times people go up in rankings for something they did not do (e.g. someone else loses).

I also agree with our Brunson analysis.

Yet your beloved (shitty) Bellator just started ranking fighters too. Fuck you
Wow, no reason to be so hostile. Last I checked freedom of speech was a thing, and he has a right not only to have it, but to share it.

Side note, now that bellator has rankings, it's easy to see why they avoided it for so long. Some of the top ten ranked fighters are a joke, shows how badly they lack depth.

It seems completely backwards that Vettori is ranked higher than Brunson for beating the same guy Brunson beat first. I'm not a Brunson fan but I think he deserves the shot more.

Israel made Brundon look like a bum. Vettori at least looked good (arguably, even won) and thus is a far more exciting fight to me (and I'm sure to others). As for deserving the ranking, Vettori probably shouldnt have leap frogged him but it's likely they plan to give it to vettori and are therefore ranking him above Brunson to justify it.

Rankings deal a great matter for ~98% of the roster. A select few (Conor, Nate, Khamzat etc.) will be given opportunities they have not earned because they are (potentially) big money-earners, but it does not render the rankings obsolete for the overwhelming majority. Michael Chiesa, Derek Brunson, Arnold Allen - guys like this are not going to be gifted anything. They're going to have work hard and put up great results and build win streaks to get close to a title shot - if that's something they care about, and for alot of them they do indeed care. You better believe alot of the rank-and-file guys who step into the cage care about their rankings.

The exceptions don't disprove this.

Edmen ranked above Holland lol
Dern shouldn't be ranked above Rodriguez

Rankings are a joke, as everyone has always stated. Sadly, they don’t mean much.
Nevertheless they are an official statement by the UFC about how they perceive their fighters. They are an insight into who they are high on and who they are down on. That means something, even if you and I thinks it shouldn't.

Whitaker rematch vs Izzy will be great

I mean I like vetorri, but in no way should a win over Holland, late notice or not jump him 3 spots into the top 3. He should have probably just maintained his position. MAYBE leap frogged Till just due to being more active.

Agreed on point 1 & 3 , point 2 however i really can't see why Brunson should be ahead in the rankings, Vettori win is much better , he did damage , he was more active on the ground passing and advancing (as DC said on DC & Helwani), while Brunsons' was textbook "lay & pray" ; so it's not surprising to me Vettori got ahead of Till (who 10 days before the fight got injured and withdraw) and Brunson.

Dern was #13 last i checked... thats a serious jump after beating a 10-7 fighter not in the top 15 herself...

It seems completely backwards that Vettori is ranked higher than Brunson for beating the same guy Brunson beat first. I'm not a Brunson fan but I think he deserves the shot more.

Vettori is on a 5 fight win streak with a top 5 or top 6 win against Hermansson. Brunson is on a 4 fight win streak and I don't think he has any top 10 wins in that streak and if he does it's Edmen who would have barely been inside the top 10. I think the MW division rankings are very accurate for once.

Edit: didn't realize Holland was top 10 for either Brunson or Vettori so apparently he was but still 5 wins with a top 5/6 win and a similarly ranked Holland should put Vettori just a bit higher in the rankings than Brunson.

Last edited:
Not sure Vettori should get that much of a bump for beating Holland who Brunson dominated just 2 weeks prior. I would also probably put Ige above Allen, but not a huge issue.
Marvin was scheduled to fight a higher rank opponent. This guy saved the card by taking the Holland fight on short notice. Marvin had not been preparing to fight Holland and ensured his victory.

Vettori shouldn’t have moved at all after that shit performance
Vettori saved the card by taking a dangerous opponent he had not been preparing for on 10 days notice. You should be thanking the mfer for taking the fight.

The only reasonable assumption as to why Vettori jumped so high is that, according to the judges, he's the closest person to beating Adesanya at MW. His performance against Holland wasn't that great and he jumped Brunson who did the same shit 3 weeks ago.

Edmen's jump must just be the Russian hype, everyone has been hyped on Russian prospects for the last 1-2 years. Kinda weird to break the top 10 just by sitting at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back