Rampage sponsored by Reebok; UFC won't allow him to wear their products

That is just people guessing. We have no idea why the UFC won't allow Reebok.

The most likely answer is that a Reebok sponsorship conflicts with another sponsor. Since there are relatively few shoe companies allowed in the cage, people are speculating that it's Nike since they are Reebok's biggest rival and we've seen the Nike logo inside the octagon.

The unlikely answer, although still possible, is that the UFC is trying to screw over Rampage specifically.

Lol I dont know thats Im thinking.

Given Rampage's experiences with female reporters, I'm surprised a mainstream company like Reebok would want to get involved with him, haha.

Reebok is trying to snatch the crossfit niche in the market. Something tells me they would be into something like that.

It's the ufc production, they pay to get it on tv and pay to get it to all the households so why wouldn't they control what sponsors are on their production or not. Plus this is what happens in literally every other major sport.

never heard of an up and coming fighter from PA who could box.... not in NAAFS.... not in that new pinnacle promo........ not even one.

CLEVELAND STAND UP

SMH, what? PA doesn't have boxers now? Have you ever heard of Philadelphia?

I had 2 dudes from my city alone who both made it to the semis for making the olympics. One guy fought Timothy Bradley, and the other dude fought Juan Ma at MSG when Juan Ma was just getting started.

SMH, what? PA doesn't have boxers now? Have you ever heard of Philadelphia?

I had 2 dudes from my city alone who both made it to the semis for making the olympics. One guy fought Timothy Bradley, and the other dude fought Juan Ma at MSG when Juan Ma was just getting started.

haha i was just joking man.. but if i WAS serious i would have beeen talking about MMA guys.. ammys or low level pros. thats what i like to watch. plus idk much about philly, just pittsburgh. im just bullshitting cuz im from ohio and, well.. fuck pennsylvania lol

haha i was just joking man.. but if i WAS serious i would have beeen talking about MMA guys.. ammys or low level pros. thats what i like to watch. plus idk much about philly, just pittsburgh. im just bullshitting cuz im from ohio and, well.. fuck pennsylvania lol

Lol yea Pittsburgh has a few decent boxers but nothing special. I know Cinncinatti has some underated boxers out in Ohio!

The same Rampage who has spent the last year crapping on the UFC and telling everyone who will listen about how bad they are?

And he's surprised they aint doing him any favours.

TBH, I think he's lucky UFC hasn't cut him after some of his most recent performances. And I'm (or at least I was) a huge Rampage fan.

Lol yea Pittsburgh has a few decent boxers but nothing special. I know Cinncinatti has some underated boxers out in Ohio!

I honestly have no idea. I wish I spent more time paying attention to boxing these days, it's wht I grew up on. Nowadays it can be straight up painful to watch tho especially with a lot of athletes moving to MMA.

I understand that, my thing is what is the issue with Reebok? People are saying because of Nike, but the UFC never said Nike was a sponsor.

Rampage said that his manager told him that the UFC said it was because it wouldn't be fair to other sponsors. I'm placing a link to the article in the OP

I honestly have no idea. I wish I spent more time paying attention to boxing these days, it's wht I grew up on. Nowadays it can be straight up painful to watch tho especially with a lot of athletes moving to MMA.

Yea, the only good MMA fighters from PA I can think of is Kos and Alvarez.

There are many examples of this and none of them make you correct. The UFC has a contract with a sponsor. The fighters are the UFC's employees. If they want to wear a specific sponsor in the cage, they need the UFC's approval just like NFL players need permission from the NFL, NCAA players need permission from the NCAA and you would need permission from your boss.

Fighters are not allowed to wear whatever they want because it might conflict with existing contracts or simply conflict with the image that the UFC wants to uphold.

actually they are independent contractors

the ufc should not be able to block a fighter from wearing a sponsor that pays them without a reason, whether its image related or otherwise. if the ufc is whole and part sponsored by nike than it stands to reason that all fighters are sponsored by them and should reap the benefits, otherwise you can't scream its a conflict of interest if only the ufc benefits from some exclusive contract.

or at least thats how i feel it should be.

dont know the details but the ufc has blocked sponsors simply for appearing in other orgs so nobody knows if they even have a legit reason other than page.

That is just people guessing. We have no idea why the UFC won't allow Reebok.

The most likely answer is that a Reebok sponsorship conflicts with another sponsor. Since there are relatively few shoe companies allowed in the cage, people are speculating that it's Nike since they are Reebok's biggest rival and we've seen the Nike logo inside the octagon.

The unlikely answer, although still possible, is that the UFC is trying to screw over Rampage specifically.

Unlikely? They've done this before. They banned Affliction when Affliction started promoting fights. They banned Clinch Gear when Hendo left to sign with Strikeforce. They (after they bought Strikeforce) then banned one of Fedor's main sponsors, where he ended up making a quick (I think it was a week before the fight) deal with Clinch Gear.

The UFC has been rather selective, at times, of which sponsors they allow. Especially if the brand is strongly associated with a fighter/organization they're not on good terms with. This is no different. It's speculation, sure, but based on what we know, not all that unlikely.

As for why they haven't simply cut Rampage? Simple, they expect Glover to wreck him. Rampage still has name value, and to a Bellator or whomever he ends up with, can be a marketable commodity. But, if he loses again (three in a row, to a trio of fighters with ever decreasing name value), that name value is hurt. And his last win was a decision over Matt Hammil (following a win over Machida that many thought he should've lost).

That's what the UFC wants. They want to hurt the drawing power Rampage brings to whatever promotion he next signs with.

I still find it funny that shoe companies sponsor athletes that don't wear shoes while fighting. :icon_chee

About the topic, Nike is somehow causing fuckery with Reebok and the UFC.

actually they are independent contractors

the ufc should not be able to block a fighter from wearing a sponsor that pays them without a reason, whether its image related or otherwise. if the ufc is whole and part sponsored by nike than it stands to reason that all fighters are sponsored by them and should reap the benefits, otherwise you can't scream its a conflict of interest if only the ufc benefits from some exclusive contract.

or at least thats how i feel it should be.

dont know the details but the ufc has blocked sponsors simply for appearing in other orgs so nobody knows if they even have a legit reason other than page.

Being employees or contractors makes little difference in this case.

That may be how you feel it should be, but not how it is.

I still find it funny that shoe companies sponsor athletes that don't wear shoes while fighting. :icon_chee

Lol kinda weird eh? The article says Rampage is getting his own shoe though, kind of a trail running/off road type

Last edited:

training requires shoes...DUHHHHHHHH

Being employees or contractors makes little difference in this case.

That may be how you feel it should be, but not how it is.

part of being an independent contractor is being free to do certain things that pertain to the job at hand. unless both parties have a contractual agreement stating otherwise. i view sponsorships the same way. if a fighter wants to wear a particular sponsor thats willing to pay the agreed upon fees there is no reason for the ufc to block it.

why would the ufc care who sponsors rampage unless they in some way affect the ufc's image negatively?

if nike is the reason, thats a whole different scenario i don't want to mess with, though i don't get why nike would care if reebok sponsors page.

Back