Rafael dos Anjos: "I KO'd Ben Henderson and I'm gonna do the same to Pettis"

All I can say from my experience yesterday is that gilbert's "Pressure" will look nothing like RDA's.

Can you elaborate on this experience?

What if he's watched the gil fight and has already addressed what gil did wrong?

Gil really didn't do anything wrong. Gil fought the kind of fight you're supposed to fight against a guy who is a better striker. Bendo tried the same thing. Gil did it better. So what happens to RDA? He gets it better for an extra round? Plus, he's not the same caliber or grappler as Gil from what I've seen. So his odds in the grappling department are not as good. And striking, we know Pettis is better. RDA needs another strategy. Not wall and stall. I'm thinking clinching. He can win if he's willing to win ugly.

If Anthony Pettis has the best standup at 155 then RDA is also up there. At least top 3. This should be Anthony's toughest fight so far. RDA is dangerous I really don't think many of you are watching the fights.

Of course I'm still rooting for Pettis to end it in fashion.

I watch his fights. He's looked a lot more impressive these days, but I don't consider him a top 3 striker.

Nah, I like both guys. I was favoring pettis until I saw RDA last night. 50/50 fight imo. RDA's TST and he was throwing crazy combinations yesterday, specifically for pettis.

Who was he landing these combos on? No name training partner?

Can you elaborate on this experience?

Chief-Keef-Sued-Charity-Event.-NAH.jpg

Of course not. And you won't comment on who he was landing combos on either, right?

Thanks for the insight.

If he can't take Pettis down, it will be a short night. I like RDA but Pettis has shown to be on another level after finishing Cerrone like he was an amateur

I think if RDA can get Pettis up against the fence a few times like Bendo and Gil, he's more dangerous because of somewhat better punching power, and diversity with the knees and kicks, the latter which could hit Pettis' leg as he circles.

That said, RDA made a HUGE mistake by calling Pettis overrated. Cerrone did the same thing, he said he recognized it pissed Pettis off, and from the beginning of that bout Pettis took the center of the cage with a purpose. A lot less chance of tentativeness and a feeling out process, with a pissed off Pettis. There was less of a chance of it happening in the first place because all of Pettis' previous title fights where he got off to slow starts involved firsts. First WEC title shot, first UFC title shot, first UFC defense. This is the first time the situation isn't new for Pettis. And as a result I expect a beautiful performance from pretty much the outset. At realistic worst, Pettis gets taken down early out of aggressiveness and relative indifference to going to the ground, sees if a sub is there against RDA, if not he sweeps or stands up after while, then goes on the hunt for the ko/sub on the feet.

It's mma so anything can happen, but telling someone that finished Melendez, bendo, and cerrone in three straight fights, that he's over rated, is ridiculous. It's good to be confident, but it's not good to act like your opponent isn't as good as they are. Pettis via whatever finish he chooses.

I love me some RDA but I barely give him a puncher's chance at dethroning Pettis.
Anthony's timing is just too damn good.

Rafael dos Anjos made the following statement during a recent interview:

"I'm super excited with this opportunity, it will be my fifth fight in 12 months. I like to be the underdog, I'm used to it. It's a motivation for me and against Pettis will be no different. I fight well when I have big challenges. I knocked Ben Henderson out and I'll do the same with Pettis."

So, do you think RDA can knockout Pettis? Your thoughts?

No, he won't. But Pettis won't finish RDA either. It will be a competitive 5-round fight where I expect Pettis to edge out a victory.

Gonna be good, though I was hoping for Pettis/Khabib.

RDA has earned the #1 contender spot hands down (while Khabib is out). But come fight night, safe bet would be on Pettis. It's hard to root against Pettis now until he loses the belt.

I got Pettis in this one but not for a second doubtin RDA he definitely has the ability to put Pettis away. he's a fucken beast....

Well if he plans to stand with Pettis, it's almost guaranteed that he will be finished in less than two rounds.

I hope he can do it. He will be a much more active champion probably. But it's unlikely he will beat Pettis.

Back