Rafael Cordeiro piles the pressure on RDA

Well, since RDA has "become like a new man" and had such a marked "increase in his strength and conditioning, Joe" and ragdolled a few top fighters, Professor Cordiero is quite confident in his pupil. What's he supposed to say?

I think you're misreading the point of the thread.

I think this video of him sparring with his students was fairly popular on this forum at some point:

Sadly the fight I mentioned was taken down from youtube.

wow so Cordeiro just beat TJ and Anderson Silva? And KO'D a buncha other students? Man why is this guy not fighting?

wow so Cordeiro just beat TJ and Anderson Silva? And KO'D a buncha other students? Man why is this guy not fighting?

He probably makes more teaching and coaching than he would fighting unless he were a top, top UFC fighter. He probably doesn't want to do it for personal reasons either.

Well, RDA just told in a Brazilian interview that he thinks Cerrone, Pettis and Benson are much better fighters than Conor and that's why he thinks Conor will not give him many problems. Conor is just a good fighter for him, not great. RDA is putting pressure on himself as well.

All are much, much better grapplers than Conor, which is RDA's strength.

I will say this, RDA is a lot bigger than Also, much bigger than I would have expected for just a 10 pound difference in weight class. It will be interesting to see how Conor's power will translate to the step up in weight classes.

Just looking at the two in the stare down is when I really noticed the difference compared to the 145ers. Conor is no joke, he has serious skill a powerful left. But there is no question the same size advantage won't be there. If he can do it at 155 to someone like RDA then that will really be something.

It feels like RDA should be the obvious pick but after the Aldo fight I'm inclined to just wait and see because he may just prove everyone wrong again.

I will say this, RDA is a lot bigger than Also, much bigger than I would have expected for just a 10 pound difference in weight class. It will be interesting to see how Conor's power will translate to the step up in weight classes.

Just looking at the two in the stare down is when I really noticed the difference compared to the 145ers. Conor is no joke, he has serious skill a powerful left. But there is no question the same size advantage won't be there. If he can do it at 155 to someone like RDA then that will really be something.

It feels like RDA should be the obvious pick but after the Aldo fight I'm inclined to just wait and see because he may just prove everyone wrong again.

Seems sensible.

That's got to sting, Dos Anjos listing all those fighters as being better than Conor and thanking the UFC for an easy fight.

Fact is, there's probably not much more to expect from Dos Anjos in terms of skill-set. With Conor, we probably haven't seen his full range of striking and there's still questions about his grappling and over-all MMA skill-set.

What we can go on is that Conor is a better Boxer than the names listed and hits a lot harder than them. Cordeiro can even mention the Mendes fight, but it'd have as much relevance as Dos Anjos having his jaw broken by Guida.

Conor thinks at this stage going up to 155 he'll be a different fighter. We'll see.

You can't achieve much without a certain amount of grappling skill, even on the European scene let alone the UFC.

Not saying Conor is complete garbage, but most elite fighters grappling is on another level that his. He probably has a worse ground game than 95% of the top 5 in any division.

What we can go on is that Conor is a better Boxer than the names listed and hits a lot harder than them. Cordeiro can even mention the Mendes fight, but it'd have as much relevance as Dos Anjos having his jaw broken by Guida.

Conor thinks at this stage going up to 155 he'll be a different fighter. We'll see.

Uh, the Mendes fight was 7 months ago the Guida fight was 6 years ago.

Not saying Conor is complete garbage, but most elite fighters grappling is on another level that his. He probably has a worse ground game than 95% of the top 5 in any division.

The technique he demonstrated against Max Holloway in the grappling department I was impressed with and his Guillotine escape against Chad was very high level and even against Dave Hill for CW he executed a fantastic RNC. I'd imagine it is improving a lot too considering he's training with a former adcc competitor and an advanced BJJ black belt. I'd be interested to see if Conor can get his ground game up a level soon enough because right now I'd say he was a 3 star grappler.

I just read an article from last year that RDA's walking weight is 195 lbs....Conor walks at around 170 something. How much weight can a fighter regain between weigh in and fight night?

Water cut is done by percentage of body weight. Generally speaking most UFC fighters that are serious about cutting do around 10%. Some fighters, like McGregor, can go as high as 15%, which btw is dangerous. At 170, if McGregor cut 10% it would put him at 153, so he's probably cutting 13%, maybe a little more to get to 145. Its a huge cut and why he looks concentration camp at 145. I doubt RDA cuts down water from more than about 180 pounds. A 10% cut from 180 puts RDA at 162, so same thing, 180 down to 155 is about 13% cut. These are huge cut numbers for both fighters. At 15%+ you can actually lose pressure in your veins, and they can collapse and you can die. Or have kidney failure, etc.

I would guess when they enter the cage RDA is no more than 180-185 max, and McGregor might have had enough time to get his number to 175. RDA should have the size advantage since McGregor has been cutting to 145. Not enough time to put on all the muscle.

I don't know enough about RDA to claim this statement is setting him up for a fall, only I ask for peoples thoughts on it. Kavanagh is different because Conor is very close to lunacy and is arguably a narcissist.

Okay I see.

I'd hope not, RDA was never a front runner and had to consistently prove doubters and fighters wrong. I dont think you get to where he is by overestimating anybody and having stupid game plans.

It's just banter in my opinion. Who knows.

Diego sanchez put on 26 recently, I remember Vitor v Rumble n Vitor put on 20.
That's just two I remember
there was a rumor that Rich Franklin could put on 30 pounds over night. I think some chick mentioned it in a countdown

Back