QUIT Making up names for moves!!

Just my two cents.

For those of you who dont know, I'm a teacher by profession and by university.

Giving things outlandish names is a teaching technique called strong encoding. When you want a student to remember something it is important to vary the instruction and provide cues that are easily recalled. The "unicorn" is a great example of this (not that I think it was on purpose) and I'll always remember someone calling the triangle with a leg in the "unicorn" although I've never actually heard anyone call it that.

With that being said it's also important to point out that strong encoding is used with the teaching cues, not with the name of a technique. Teaching cues are the important things your instructor tells you to remember while practicing the move like "keep your arm tight, hug his hips, head low", these are all examples of teaching cues. When you give a student more than two or three cues to remember it's very important to name the most important ones something outlandish.

For example when I teach the armbar defense from closed guard I feel that the stack is the most important thing in the whole move and instead of saying "stack your opponent" I'll say "crush your opponents face" (keeping in mind that we talk about being nice to our training partners). So keep in mind, that not all outlandish names are by people who smoke pot or partake in other recreational substances (which I do not).

Also, think of the naming of techniques as highly important from a teaching perspective. If I do not name techniques then how can I produce a curriculum that encompasses all the knowledge of Brazilian Jiujitus? How can I plan a lesson that will take place three or four months from now? One of the reasons this has not been an issue in Brazil (where I currently train) is because they have no set standard, curriculum, or lesson plans...this is maddening and crazy. Very rarely have I been to a school where the instructor has any rhyme or reason to what they are teaching between one day and the next, never mind three months from now.

I have talked about this before on the forum. There is a transition in the way BJJ is being taught. I'm not going to say it's a revolution, becuase honestly the teaching principles are not new, they are just being applied to a sport that everyone here loves. But prepare yourself that we are moving away from the Master/Apprentice teaching style and more to the Teacher/Student and Coach/Athlete styles (which are different also).

So to wrap it up, I think we need to name techniques, I think that goofy names for the cues within the techniques are needed but I laugh at the names just like everyone else. For me it's not about the glory of having my own technique, it's about being able to give that technique to someone else.

The Gerbil

Huh, that's...really well put together. I don't have your knowledge with teaching and admit it, but I definitely agree with the move to coach/athlete style dynamics over the traditional master/apprentice one happening.

I feel I'm too new to grappling to add much of value here, but it has been an interesting read.

A very small (and possibly quite unimportant) observation: I couldn't quite understand how a triangle with a leg in would look like, and my googlejitsu failed me when using key words such as "BJJ" "Triangle" and "leg in" and quite a few variations of those.

"BJJ", "Triangle" and "Unicorn" at least found me the thread on the UG, even if I'm still not completely getting it. Non-generic names are sometimes more search friendly, it seems.

Giving things outlandish names is a teaching technique called strong encoding. When you want a student to remember something it is important to vary the instruction and provide cues that are easily recalled. The "unicorn" is a great example of this (not that I think it was on purpose) and I'll always remember someone calling the triangle with a leg in the "unicorn" although I've never actually heard anyone call it that.

Most of these techniques have names from wrestling and Judo, which area somewhat descriptive and have been passed down for many years. I think it is useful for some students, especially children to have fun names for techniques, but descriptive names are best in my opinion. The current Judo names are usually a middle ground between fully descriptive and not at all. Sankaku jime (triangle choke), for example coulld be called "arm over the shouler with other arm under the opposite shoulder and pull across on the arm on the side with the arm under the shoulder..." jime. The other extreme is unicorn or crack pimp or bong water jime

BTW, there are many descriptive prefixes for sankaku jime (e.g., yoko, ushiro).

Last edited:
Most of these techniques have names from wrestling and Judo, which area somewhat descriptive and have been passed down for many years. I think it is useful for some students, especially children to have fun names for techniques, but descriptive names are best in my opinion [/I]).

This is why I said that the strong encoding technique is used within the technique and not typically for the name of the technique. I guess I should have addressed the topics separately.

1. we must name techniques
2. giving outlandish names to cues within the technique is sometimes important.

I am a proponent of descriptive names also.

Gerbil raises an interesting point - and I can see how it works.

At our academy, we call the defense to the crossface in half guard "the cleopatra." I think we got this from Sergio Silva. It is way easier to just yell "cleopatra!" Than it is to say "Put the back of your wrist against your forehead to block the crossface." It also carries a strong visual mnemonic - it reminds you what the technique looks like.

I think what drives people like Hillary crazy is that every new variation people uncover (whether it is REALLY new or not,) seems to get a ridiculous name. Which is fine - in your own academy. But don't expect me to call it "the hamster smoothie," and don't expect anyone to know what you are talking about when you mention it.

Gerbil raises an interesting point - and I can see how it works.

At our academy, we call the defense to the crossface in half guard "the cleopatra." I think we got this from Sergio Silva. It is way easier to just yell "cleopatra!" Than it is to say "Put the back of your wrist against your forehead to block the crossface." It also carries a strong visual mnemonic - it reminds you what the technique looks like.

That's actually a good one. lol

I refuse to call it a D'arce. It's a fucking Brabo choke...

I had some guy on the UG today try to tell me that a triangle with the leg in is called a unicorn. Really? A fucking unicorn?

Incidentally, Stephan Kesting shows a technique he calls the unicorn (yes, a fucking unicorn) on his "Unorthodox Positions & Attacks" DVD. It's a low percentage sub from kesa gatame where their arm ends up near their head (hence the unicorn) and you basically just squeeze the air out of their lungs. Pretty brutal when done by the "thicker" folks, as Kesting calls them.

God damnit... does this mean I can't name a technique after myself? I had a great name for it: The fat ass.

Hillary, in your next seminar, can you cover the Purple Nerple Weasel? I can get into position but can never finish it. Thanks!

it's only because the sport (or i guess even better culture) is always evolving. you can't expect it to stay the same....

it's been said on here a while ago black belts had no idea what a triangle choke was. i'm sure if you asked them what it was they would give you the same WTF look and face palm.... but now even my co-worker who has no idea what full guard means can tell you how to finish a triangle choke from watching UFC.

and i think that's just it. the sport has taken off and you have several hundred instructors from several hundred school scattered across the country with even more people intrested in the sport all adding and changing little pieces.

don't look at it like a bad thing. be happy people are out there reinventing old techniques and breathing new life into our sport. it's what keeps us from becoming like every other TMA out there....

Im not sure but it seems to me that people are missing the point in "not wanting to name every move" because then it makes your JJ about learning that one single move rather than feeling the whole flow of JJ.

Im not sure but it seems to me that people are missing the point in "not wanting to name every move" because then it makes your JJ about learning that one single move rather than feeling the whole flow of JJ.

Yeah a lot of people seem to think that BJJ is just a series of discrete techniques, and if you just learn how to do each individual technique really well then you will be great at BJJ. It's really not like that at all though. It's more about posture, positioning, and timing.

I agree. I think it makes everything so confusing. If you learn and understand how to apply a "keylock" you'll know how to do the 10 different techniques that are associated with a keylock.

There are a few things. I tend to give names to everything I do; mainly for reference. If I just have "armlock setup #1, armlock setup #2, etc" then I tend not to remember it. Names are just hints to the actual move. Reminders, cheat sheets, etc. It is a learning tool.

However, I certainly am not trying to be a name-whore. I'll refer to the same move with multiple names. I'm not going to advertise something as a JOLT lock (ok Ari, that's why some people don't like you sometimes). Often I won't use a name when thinking about it either. Really, there's only 2 ways to submit someone: Make a joint move in a way it isn't designed to go; or squeeze a vulnerable point to either disrupt the air supply, blood supply, or damage the opponent's soft tissue. That's it.

It's a balance, I think. The name or lack-of-one is not the important thing. It is whether it helps you remember it. Giving weird names to thing - unicorn to triangle - is certainly a bad extreme. But so is "choke #1, choke #2, etc." As long as you use it as a learning tool - and use the most widespread terms that your audience is familiar with - then you're good. If you're trying to be "cute," well then you miss the point.

WWE...

When I was a kid I loved watching wrestling with my Grandpa. It was a great bonding moment for us. Cheese Whiz, Ritz Crackers, and Hulk Hogan...Good times...

As I grew older my interest in fake wrestling waned, but not interest in grappling. I used to tell people that BJJ was like the WWF but real.

I respect your opinion. It seems you're really passionate. "Quit making up names for moves." Sounds like you are pissed. I don't see it as a big deal.

btw...A guy by the name of Batista is now training with us. I guess he is like a big deal in the WWE. He's a monster. I just met him today. We'll see how he does.

Let us know how he does...should be interesting.

Incidentally, Stephan Kesting shows a technique he calls the unicorn (yes, a fucking unicorn) on his "Unorthodox Positions & Attacks" DVD. It's a low percentage sub from kesa gatame where their arm ends up near their head (hence the unicorn) and you basically just squeeze the air out of their lungs. Pretty brutal when done by the "thicker" folks, as Kesting calls them.

Oh god...I am learning this, tonight. And I'm gonna do it on someone, I swear I am.

Guys, I'm totally cereal here.

Every thread I look on, guys are talking about the "double-twisted-back-smasher" or the "crackwhore" or the "riding it bare" new move, and subsequently posting videos of it on youtube. I had some guy on the UG today try to tell me that a triangle with the leg in is called a unicorn. Really? A fucking unicorn?

Stop it. It's fucking ridiculous for one, makes the sport look even more gay, and it's hindering your jiu jitsu. Okay, the last one is a stretch, but let me explain myself. Here, in the US, we're more accustomed to the abrupt, explosive wrestling style and we've grown to name everything we do. The couple of times I've rolled with F.O.B. Brazilians or down in Brazil, no one has names for shit. You just roll. Anything that straightens out the arm is an armbar--regardless of position, invertedness or no, etc. Chokes are just chokes. I'm overgeneralizing here a wee bit but you get my point. It's much more simplified.

And you can see the reflections in their game. We're all taught that there's a significant difference in knowing a technique and UNDERSTANDING it. The way we try so hard for this new move we see on youtube, shoot to the next one, etc., we're not FEELING jiu jitsu. Roll, flow to and from positions, and take what comes at you--don't force it. That's one thing you'll notice most about when you roll with some of the best guys (especially Marcelo and Cobrinha) that they wait for you to give them opportunities rather than try to run you over.

Learn Jiu Jitsu. Don't learn the Purple Nerple Weasel.

This post is funny and true.

Back