QUIT Making up names for moves!!

Hillary

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Guys, I'm totally cereal here.

Every thread I look on, guys are talking about the "double-twisted-back-smasher" or the "crackwhore" or the "riding it bare" new move, and subsequently posting videos of it on youtube. I had some guy on the UG today try to tell me that a triangle with the leg in is called a unicorn. Really? A fucking unicorn?

Stop it. It's fucking ridiculous for one, makes the sport look even more gay, and it's hindering your jiu jitsu. Okay, the last one is a stretch, but let me explain myself. Here, in the US, we're more accustomed to the abrupt, explosive wrestling style and we've grown to name everything we do. The couple of times I've rolled with F.O.B. Brazilians or down in Brazil, no one has names for shit. You just roll. Anything that straightens out the arm is an armbar--regardless of position, invertedness or no, etc. Chokes are just chokes. I'm overgeneralizing here a wee bit but you get my point. It's much more simplified.

And you can see the reflections in their game. We're all taught that there's a significant difference in knowing a technique and UNDERSTANDING it. The way we try so hard for this new move we see on youtube, shoot to the next one, etc., we're not FEELING jiu jitsu. Roll, flow to and from positions, and take what comes at you--don't force it. That's one thing you'll notice most about when you roll with some of the best guys (especially Marcelo and Cobrinha) that they wait for you to give them opportunities rather than try to run you over.

Learn Jiu Jitsu. Don't learn the Purple Nerple Weasel.

But the Purple Nerple Weasel was on my list of things to work on this week :(

So I take it the Mendes brothers and their kiss of the dragon (biejo do dragao) move is uncool.

Hillary is hatin' on eddie bravo.

I started out in Army Combatives and this reminds me of the first Braziilian I trained with. In Combatives we call things by what they look like IE: americana is a bent arm bar and kimura is a reverse bent arm bar.

I was trying to ask him about a technique and I told him it starts from the scarf position. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked me wtf was a scarf position and why you would even call it that.. i was embarassed but I still dont know what the proper term for it is... Maybe its just a variation from side control?

Bloody Elbow is one of the few websites I read for mma and I absolutely LOVED Lytle's submission last Saturday, but I cringed when I read this article:

Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Chris Lytle Traps and Taps Matt Brown With "the Lytle"

Since I couldn't find any cool names for the inverted triangle/arm bar combination from side mount that Lytle landed on Brown, and since Lytle also tapped out Jason Gilliam with it at UFC 73, I have decided to name the hold "the Lytle".

There's a long and proud tradition of submission holds being named for the fighter who made them famous. Most well known is the Kimura, named for legendary judoka Masahiko Kimura, who used it to defeat one of the founders of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, H

NOT a direct shot at Eddie. Eddie's a good grappler who has his own little subgame of nogi (read: not new system) that's very good for flexible people. I just hate everyone who has to name stuff. There's a leglock guy in BFE, Tennessee that Cavaca and Roli train with--he uses four terms: toe hold, heel hook, knee bar, ankle break (he doesn't say ankle lock, he's a little intense). And this guy will show you 400 in an hour. It makes it so much more conceptual and...better.

well as long as you are not "riding it bare" on a "crackwhore", I think you can stay disease free.

now tomorrow instead of working I have to research this whole al gore/serial/man-bear-pig thing and see what the fuck is going on that youtube clip.

also, "the Lytle" is so fetch

Colorful names for moves to match their colorful tapout and affliction shirts.

By the way you misspelled armbar, its spelled juji gatame.

10th planet rules! lol jk you cant hate on them because its more effective in mma then reg gi jiu jitsu

i love lytle, but there's no way that move is gonna be called that.
maybe fotn award should be called the lytle bonus.

Hillary is hatin' on eddie bravo.

She's won more tournaments than he has.

Preach on Hillary. This has been pissing me off for years. I came from a wrestling background, and whenever I show some wrestling moves in no gi, people ask me "what's that called?" I don't know what the hell it's called. It's pulling the arm and pushing the head. You just do it. I'm with ya on this one.

Guys, I'm totally cereal here.

Every thread I look on, guys are talking about the "double-twisted-back-smasher" or the "crackwhore" or the "riding it bare" new move, and subsequently posting videos of it on youtube. I had some guy on the UG today try to tell me that a triangle with the leg in is called a unicorn. Really? A fucking unicorn?

Stop it. It's fucking ridiculous for one, makes the sport look even more gay, and it's hindering your jiu jitsu. Okay, the last one is a stretch, but let me explain myself. Here, in the US, we're more accustomed to the abrupt, explosive wrestling style and we've grown to name everything we do. The couple of times I've rolled with F.O.B. Brazilians or down in Brazil, no one has names for shit. You just roll. Anything that straightens out the arm is an armbar--regardless of position, invertedness or no, etc. Chokes are just chokes. I'm overgeneralizing here a wee bit but you get my point. It's much more simplified.

And you can see the reflections in their game. We're all taught that there's a significant difference in knowing a technique and UNDERSTANDING it. The way we try so hard for this new move we see on youtube, shoot to the next one, etc., we're not FEELING jiu jitsu. Roll, flow to and from positions, and take what comes at you--don't force it. That's one thing you'll notice most about when you roll with some of the best guys (especially Marcelo and Cobrinha) that they wait for you to give them opportunities rather than try to run you over.

Learn Jiu Jitsu. Don't learn the Purple Nerple Weasel.

Fvcking spot on TS. Couldnt agree more. Someone please forward this post to Eddie Bravos bong, I mean email box.

She's won more tournaments than he has.

Preach on Hillary. This has been pissing me off for years. I came from a wrestling background, and whenever I show some wrestling moves in no gi, people ask me "what's that called?" I don't know what the hell it's called. It's pulling the arm and pushing the head. You just do it. I'm with ya on this one.

I was only kidding about the hate. I know what you mean, i don't know why everyone is so obsessed with names.

I've heard so much names for simple moves that it doesn't bother me one bit. But that's because I really want to christen a move someday.

I was only kidding about the hate. I know what you mean, i don't know why everyone is so obsessed with names.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that she's qualified to criticize the guy if she wants to, being that she's accomplished more in bjj.

THIS IS NOT AN EDDIE BRAVO HATE THREAD. This is a move-naming hate thread. A ton of people do it, he just gets more press. Don't hate on the man!

In Brazil, I was told the baseball bat choke from guard is called "The Alleycat." I heard it used at 2 academies.

They tried to explain that it is a reference to brand of boltcutters or something - maybe vise grips?

Hillary's point is spot on in most cases. But you gotta admit - that's a great name.

In Brazil, I was told the baseball bat choke from guard is called "The Alleycat." I heard it used at 2 academies.

They tried to explain that it is a reference to brand of boltcutters or something - maybe vise grips?

Hillary's point is spot on in most cases. But you gotta admit - that's a great name.

Alleycat. That would be "alicate", pliers.

Back