QUIT Making up names for moves!!

Yeah I can fight as a brown belt, but imagine my situation.

I didn't, and don't, want my black belt. You guys don't understand. I had to block people from twitter who would send hate daily and I would get emails and messages from complete strangers saying that I'm watering down the sport and should be ashamed to wear a black belt. You think I want that? People hated me so much to take time out of their day to let me know. Fuck no. I want time to grow and people to be nice, it's not like I put the damn thing on my own waist.

But, as it was, I got my black belt. Aside from the fact that Renato Tavares and Rodrigo Cavaca signed for it (both of them mean so much to me), Cyborg held a black belt ceremony for me at his gym as well. Matt Hamilton has been there to push me since day one and has always made sure I never think to highly or to little of myself. And there's Roli. Roli taught me my first armbar and took me from awkward highschool kid to the world champion that I managed to be with his help. I was his and Matt's first black belt. Ever. Roli fucking teared up giving it to me.

And here comes a guy with a good last name who has never seen me roll, never will, and in general doesn't give a shit about me. He, based on some fucking arbitrary set of rules that aren't merit based in the least, tells me he doesn't approve of my black belt and that the only way to compete is to give a big "Fuck you!" to everyone who backed my promotion, take off the belt, and compete again at brown belt.

Hell no.

Well, come November, choke the shit out of everyone at the next tourney you compete in, and show Carlinhos what's up! The No-Gi worlds are in November, so, Carlinhos can see you do this first hand, again, as a black belt. haha.

As for the hate mail. That's pretty messed up. I can't believe people are giving you shit.. especially since you've actually won some big tournaments. People are fucking stupid. Don't let it get to you.

As a noob, the naming stuff confused and occasionally still confuses me. Some people have different names and will sit there going "well, i learned it as a darce/anaconda/brabo/arm-in whatever" and I sit there staring blankly while a monkey plays bongoes in my head.

As to the Hillary stuff, Carlinhos must have been real annoyed when guys like Segio Penha skipped brown all together. He better go revoke his rank. And when dudes like Carlson Sr. would hand out stripes whenever he felt the urge rather than when they had accomplished X amount of lessons. Carlinhos is becoming the Xerxes of BJJ. And hate mail sucks, but remember Winston Churchill said that people hating you means you stood up for something in your life.

Back