QUIT Making up names for moves!!

Oh, so everyone hates names for moves? Half a year ago, everyone on sherdog loved them.

Listen, if you want to talk about jiu jitsu in someway without actually getting up and demonstrating the move, than things will need names for reference. Especially when a move becomes popular.

Are people here really mad that people have a name for a D'arce, and a name for an Anaconda, as opposed to just calling them both "triangle chokes with the appliers upperbody." What about Kimuras and Americanas?

Judo has names for most things, and they do just fine. Hell, wrestling has names for most of the moves they have.

Yeah, it's cool that Brazillians can be good without knowing what anything is called, but if we are going to talk about a technique or refer to one in a match, we need to call it something.

I don't know why this is an issue.

That's what I was thinking. If every variation of a choke, is just called a 'choke' how am I going to know what you are talking about, without you demonstrating it. Although to be fair there are some things that are over-named.

I could be wrong, but I think Hill was referring more to stuff that is seen everyday and people are calling it The Unicorn, etc. I doubt she was any problem with differentiating between an Anaconda and Darce, or a Kimura and Keylock. I could be wrong though. I read it as two extremes. Some people just wanna name everything, and some people are like, "this is a choke, and this is an armlock."

I guess a better thread title would have been "quit making up stupid mythical animal creature names for moves.....because they sound really gay!!"

I could definitely get behind that.

I was working on a move called "The Kilarry". Now I will just back to calling it boring name. :(

Guys, I'm totally cereal here.

Every thread I look on, guys are talking about the "double-twisted-back-smasher" or the "crackwhore" or the "riding it bare" new move, and subsequently posting videos of it on youtube. I had some guy on the UG today try to tell me that a triangle with the leg in is called a unicorn. Really? A fucking unicorn?

Stop it. It's fucking ridiculous for one, makes the sport look even more gay, and it's hindering your jiu jitsu. Okay, the last one is a stretch, but let me explain myself. Here, in the US, we're more accustomed to the abrupt, explosive wrestling style and we've grown to name everything we do. The couple of times I've rolled with F.O.B. Brazilians or down in Brazil, no one has names for shit. You just roll. Anything that straightens out the arm is an armbar--regardless of position, invertedness or no, etc. Chokes are just chokes. I'm overgeneralizing here a wee bit but you get my point. It's much more simplified.

And you can see the reflections in their game. We're all taught that there's a significant difference in knowing a technique and UNDERSTANDING it. The way we try so hard for this new move we see on youtube, shoot to the next one, etc., we're not FEELING jiu jitsu. Roll, flow to and from positions, and take what comes at you--don't force it. That's one thing you'll notice most about when you roll with some of the best guys (especially Marcelo and Cobrinha) that they wait for you to give them opportunities rather than try to run you over.

Learn Jiu Jitsu. Don't learn the Purple Nerple Weasel.

Its interesting you say this, because it is definitely cultural.

I think in the US, people like everything broken down. They need statistics, they need analysis of everything. Look at american sports. Arghhhhhh everything has a statistic behind it. There's no feel to half of the sport, they look at spreadsheets to call plays and pull players. Drives me insane (baseball, football... basketball). I see people asking for charts in BJJ as well (which move to which move to which move?) instead of just flowing and enjoying it a bit.

Instead of realizing that triangle B is just a slight variation of triangle A, it needs its own name, own analysis etc. I see exactly where you're coming from - and many (not all) start to miss the larger picture behind the move or flow of the game.

how about the double inverted pimp slap barbwired german shepherd choke...i think fedor pulled it off once against king ghidora

how about the double inverted pimp slap barbwired german shepherd choke...i think fedor pulled it off once against king ghidora

At my gym we call that the Alligator Sand Basket Sandal Snake from The Heavy Amazonian Tribesman throatlock

how about a simple rule? You can't name a move unless you are an accomplished grappler or a accomplished coach.

how about a simple rule? You can't name a move unless you are an accomplished grappler or a accomplished coach.

Or named Ari Bolden. Or get stoned and come up with really cool names

I couldn't understand anything Eddie was saying. Looked cool though.

won the US trials for ADCC
Submittied Gustavo Dantas
Submitted Royler Gracie

won the US trials for ADCC
Submittied Gustavo Dantas
Submitted Royler Gracie

I haven't heard that before, could you tell me another 1000 times, Mr. Bravo?

Inside Closed Guard - Loverman

This is actually a Nick Cave song ;)

I never uderstood this new trend of naming either. Though there are many names for positions in Brazil (raspada de Porco, cadeado, alicate, noiva de ipanema, cabresto, tranco, etc, etc) they are more like mental descriptions of the positions very easy to understand, unlike "the unicorn" or "london" or whatever.

Yeah, only color inside the lines, and never innovate. puleez

While we're telling people what to do - how about people stop using the word "gay" when they mean "lame" or "stupid."

Guys, I'm totally cereal here.

Every thread I look on, guys are talking about the "double-twisted-back-smasher" or the "crackwhore" or the "riding it bare" new move, and subsequently posting videos of it on youtube. I had some guy on the UG today try to tell me that a triangle with the leg in is called a unicorn. Really? A fucking unicorn?

Stop it. It's fucking ridiculous for one, makes the sport look even more gay, and it's hindering your jiu jitsu. Okay, the last one is a stretch, but let me explain myself. Here, in the US, we're more accustomed to the abrupt, explosive wrestling style and we've grown to name everything we do. The couple of times I've rolled with F.O.B. Brazilians or down in Brazil, no one has names for shit. You just roll. Anything that straightens out the arm is an armbar--regardless of position, invertedness or no, etc. Chokes are just chokes. I'm overgeneralizing here a wee bit but you get my point. It's much more simplified.

And you can see the reflections in their game. We're all taught that there's a significant difference in knowing a technique and UNDERSTANDING it. The way we try so hard for this new move we see on youtube, shoot to the next one, etc., we're not FEELING jiu jitsu. Roll, flow to and from positions, and take what comes at you--don't force it. That's one thing you'll notice most about when you roll with some of the best guys (especially Marcelo and Cobrinha) that they wait for you to give them opportunities rather than try to run you over.

Learn Jiu Jitsu. Don't learn the Purple Nerple Weasel.

Yeah okay, so having unique names that enable you to instantly picture the position/submission described - as opposed to having to physically demonstrate it whilst using a ton of extra words - is a bad thing? If you say so :icon_neut

Back