Question about interm belts

AnarchyRedrum

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Say you're interm champion and you defend it once or twice than you go on to win the actual title to become the undisputed champion of that division does those previous wins count as title defenses or does it start all over when you win the actual title? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Yea winning/defending the interim title counts as a title win. Has anyone ever defended the interim title?
Thing is there is no official governing body for this. It' just what the UFC, it's fan, and reporting sites decide.

Each fight counts as a title win, but interim fights don't officially count as defenses of the 'real' title. Most fans would probably count it though.

If I'm the champion of course I'd want it to count lol

Interesting question. First thing to research is whether an interim belt - in any combat sport - has been defended. Precedent usually rules.

Each fight counts as a title win, but interim fights don't officially count as defenses of the 'real' title. Most fans would probably count it though.

So you're saying that if you defend the interm title twice and go on to win the undisputed belt you basically start over since the previous wins were for a different belt?

What if it is defended and the other champ retires suddenly?

What if it is defended and the other champ retires suddenly?

Didn't this happen to Mir in a way? After motorcycle accident he couldn't defend it so they made the interm champion the new hw champion.

So you're saying that if you defend the interm title twice and go on to win the undisputed belt you basically start over since the previous wins were for a different belt?

I wouldn't say you 'start over' exactly, since Rogan could say 'he's got 9 title defenses...' even if that was 8 'real' and 1 interim, technically he'd still be right since the interim is still a title. And most of the fans would probably see it that way anyway, as they did in the case of Arlovski.

Interim belts are annoying. They allow fighters like Mir to call themselves a two time UFC champion. They are rarely defended, and basically have little to no meaning. Except for when Carlos Condit won it. He is the champion.

Interim belts are annoying. They allow fighters like Mir to call themselves a two time UFC champion. They are rarely defended, and basically have little to no meaning. Except for when Carlos Condit won it. He is the champion.

Being the first person to ever finish Tim Sylvia when he did, and then being the first person to ever finish Big Nog, both deserve gold.

I wouldn't say you 'start over' exactly, since Rogan could say 'he's got 9 title defenses...' even if that was 8 'real' and 1 interim, technically he'd still be right since the interim is still a title. And most of the fans would probably see it that way anyway, as they did in the case of Arlovski.

So say you defend the interm title once or twice and you go on and lose to the actual champion? Would it still be consider the same thing?

Being the first person to ever finish Tim Sylvia when he did, and then being the first person to ever finish Big Nog, both deserve gold.

I wouldn't go that far. Yes, he fought well both times but neither should of been official title fights. When Couture 'retired' with the belt, there shouldn't of been an interim title. Couture should of been stripped of it, and then the winner would of been the real champion. Its so senseless to have multiple titles floating around. The more titles there are, the less meaningful they are. Have you learned nothing from the WWF?

So say you defend the interm title once or twice and you go on and lose to the actual champion? Would it still be consider the same thing?

He'd still have two title wins on a technicality.

I wouldn't go that far. Yes, he fought well both times but neither should of been official title fights. When Couture 'retired' with the belt, there shouldn't of been an interim title. Couture should of been stripped of it, and then the winner would of been the real champion. Its so senseless to have multiple titles floating around. The more titles there are, the less meaningful they are. Have you learned nothing from the WWF?

To be honest I don't care much about titles. I just look at fights, wins and losses.

Back