Question about interm belts

Which is fair to do as a fan, but its just the opposite when you're a fighter/promoter.

I'll worry about that once the PFL gets off the ground.

(Peteyandjia Fight League)

Interesting question. First thing to research is whether an interim belt - in any combat sport - has been defended. Precedent usually rules.

GSP is still defending the Interim and real UFC belts. He beat Hughes for the Interim Belt then beat Serra in the rematch for the real title.

GSP is still defending the Interim and real UFC belts. He beat Hughes for the Interim Belt then beat Serra in the rematch for the real title.

In that case the belts are unified and their distinction is no longer recognized.

Let me give you an example...when Georges won the interim belt and then won the undisputed belt in his next fight...

you would count both wins as title fight victories but you would never say Georges defended the interim belt, you simply say he won the undisputed belt.

That is why Georges has won 10 UFC title fights and has 7 defenses. You never count the win while he was interim champ as a defense. That would be ridiculous.

I think Barao with a win should and will get the "interim" removed because Cruz will have been out too long to retain title. But as some have said, it will only count as winning the title, not defending. Which makes sense.

Let me give you an example...when Georges won the interim belt and then won the undisputed belt in his next fight...

you would count both wins as title fight victories but you would never say Georges defended the interim belt, you simply say he won the undisputed belt.

That is why Georges has won 10 UFC title fights and has 7 defenses. You never count the win while he was interim champ as a defense. That would be ridiculous.

What if Cruz never makes a return. Which with the nature of being reinjured in rehab, and requiring additional surgery, is a real possibility, and Barao's belt becomes the real Belt. Would you count a defense against Mcdonald if he were to successfully defend as a Defense, if that title down the line in a year or so becomes the actual Bantamweight title.

I count them personally. What's the point of making them a champ if you're not going to give them any of the benefits of it? Part of your marketability of being champ is that you have X amount of defences. The interim champ is just fighting whoever normally would have been the #1 contender so the defence should count

I count them personally. What's the point of making them a champ if you're not going to give them any of the benefits of it? Part of your marketability of being champ is that you have X amount of defences. The interim champ is just fighting whoever normally would have been the #1 contender so the defence should count

I agree but people get into semantics.

Yes they should count. Interim belts get used the wrong way IMO. They should only be made if there is time for the Interim champ to defend the belt. With the exception of the real champ being ready to come back sooner than expected. The Interim champ is the current best until the champ is healthy to come back and fight. Then they both fight to see who is the undisputed champion. You earn the Title Interim Champ and defend that Title that I don't see why it shouldn't count as a Title defense.

Interim belts are stupid. If the champion is inactive for more than a year he should be stripped of the title. Simple as that. There's your "Interim belt"

Back