Social Quarantine baby boom? Opposite happened

I know last March a lot of us, myself included, joked about a baby boom from being stuck at home with nothing to do (other than the Mrs.) but it seems that not only did that happened, there was a massive drop in births in 2020. Birth rate actually dropped 4%, largest single year drop in 50 years. This is the lowest birth rate in a century in America.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-birth-rate-falls-lowest-point-more-century-n1266349

Seems couples more worried about covid, and the economic impacts of it, deciding to delay having kids outweighed those that couldn't keep their hands to themselves during quarantine. Spike back up in births during recovery this and next year? More ammunition to be used by those in favor of even more lax rules on immigration?

Some of our friends did pumped out a few new babies so I guess they are the outliers. We are calling this generation the "Coronials" :D

I wonder how U.S divorce rates turned out, hahaha.

PS: I'm sorry to see the usual flu bros already wrecked your thread.

Falling birth rates is why this country needs a constant flow of new young immigrants and it's the same situation in Canada, Europe and Japan. Either admit large numbers of new immigrants or drastically shrink the size and scope of government benefits.

I didn’t say any of that, but you’ve always been disingenuous and full of shit. Now, go waddle on over to the Lounge and beg for help like the cowardly goof you are.

Light work.

How the fuck are you supposed make babies when you can't go out and meet people, form relationships, and have sex?

The dudes that are already in relationships aren't going to be busting nuts in vaginas when they have to worry about being unemployed 24/7.

Not to mention, women generally have children when they feel safe, secure, and provided for. Hard to have that when social media is pumping out scare tactics 24/7.

Which is more than likely why all the beta cucks agreed to wear paper over their faces, and give up a lot of their rights as free men. So that their women would feel safe enough to give that pussy up again.

Spending more time with their kids made people realize how terrible they are.
you're a bad man (I mean in a good way)
I laughed so hard when I read your post. I feel a tad guilty.

Yeah, there were almost no new couples when every place you'd go on a date got shut down. Why would anybody think birth rates would increase when you lock people in their house? If anything it would increase divorce rates and suicide rates.

Yea I haven’t had a new girlfriend all quarantine. Just been using the time to work out and work on myself.

I'm getting married next month, but I had my gf well before everything got shut down. I can't imagine being single during a lockdown.
I'd ban all black lights from my house after. The walls would light up like a Christmas tree

I had a feeling we would be seeing more break ups and divorces than babies.

I thought birthrates would rise but like you thought divorces and break ups would sky rocket. I know one person who had a kid and 5 who had break ups (one we could see coming for a while and one was a new relationship so going into a lockdown together just accelerated what probably would have happened eventually).

At the beginning my friend text me saying “we’re going into lockdown as a family of five, we probably won’t all make it out alive” lol

The other conversation that was had is the process of birth in a covid environment. No family. Sometimes not even a husband allowed to be present during birth. It’s a special moment and the idea of someone being completely alone in a hospital during a major life event like this is intimidating.

my mum was in and out of hospital a lot. For one stay she had a women in her ward who lost her baby during the birth (two maternity wards had to be shut due to a outbreak in them thus she was in the same ward).I can’t imagine dealing with something like that and not being able to have your partner/family around

Last edited:
Falling birth rates is why this country needs a constant flow of new young immigrants and it's the same situation in Canada, Europe and Japan. Either admit large numbers of new immigrants or drastically shrink the size and scope of government benefits.
Could always close tax loopholes for corporations and the rich.

To answer this question, my wife and I had a baby in July 2020. Our first

Let me tell you, it wasn’t fun. Hospital restrictions so I couldn’t be there with her for appointments. Made it very scary when there were some issues (thankfully baby girl healthy, but was a bit unknown for a while) and she was there alone each hospital visit. Wasn’t able to do nice big baby shower for our first kid, worries with the unknown aspects of covid and can it impact babies in the womb if mom caught it? Me being CONSTANTLY worried about being laid off and losing our health insurance with an expensive birth looming. Babies are more susceptible to complications from flu, so what does covid do to a newborn? All the info says covid not much of a problem to kids, but there is a massive massive difference between a 3 month old and a 16 year old. And I couldn’t find hard data on newborns anywhere and I’m typically good at medical journal research

Life is great now, have a happy and healthy 9 month old. But if I had a magic button to push and have baby in either 2019 or 2021 instead of going through all that in 2020 I would absolutely push it. It wasn’t fun.

My 3rd was born in January of 2020 (much different situation than July, I know), and removing all the uncertainty, I've considered 2020 to be one of the best years to have a baby. Money kept getting thrown at us from tax credits and stimulus checks. My wife got laid off and was paid $1,000 a week to stay at home and look after the baby (instead of just 90 days unpaid leave). It was also a good hedge against lock-downs and restrictions since when you have a newborn at home, you really aren't going anywhere anyway.

Knowing what we know now, if I had to choose between 2020 and 2021 to have a baby, I'd easily choose 2020, no contest. From a safety perspective, I would also choose having a baby now over any other time in history, but that is obviously with the benefit of an extra year of data on Covid.

That said, obviously everyone's situation is different (I've considered the unemployment paid to my wife to be particularly unfair, but in our favor), we didn't know a lot at the beginning, and the overall safety and economic consequences were still unknown for your delivery date. Having a baby in July during close to the peak of the uncertainty with this must have been an incredibly challenging experience, although god bless no baby showers imo. That first baby already adds enough life-changing uncertainty without throwing the Covid shit on top of that. Especially with the third trimester appointments coming when we were in full on stay-at-home orders. I'm glad you guys were able to get through it safely with a healthy child. Out of curiosity, were you able to be there for the delivery? I had it in my head that they never stopped allowing 1 person for "support" in the delivery room, but now that we are over a year in I can no longer remember all the rule changes anymore.

Out of curiosity, were you able to be there for the delivery? I had it in my head that they never stopped allowing 1 person for "support" in the delivery room, but now that we are over a year in I can no longer remember all the rule changes anymore.

Yeah, I was there for delivery. It was just me though, after the birth I tried to ask if we could cycle out so it was only ever 1 person in hospital with her (she really wanted her mom to be there few hours after the birth to share that moment with her) and they didn't let us. But at least there wasn't a sticky situation of trying to ban a husband from the birth of my child. I don't believe that happened anywhere in the US, just fears of it.

Where the no hospital visitor policy hurt bad was not allowing me at any of the checkups. During pregnancy, baby was tiny. At one point 4% on the percentile scale of expected growth for the week. So they had her coming in every single week for ultra sound to check on growth, so that if growth actually stopped, they would just immediately induce her.

Well on the 3rd visit of that, she got pretty freaked out as they kept re-doing the check, and the damn ultrasound tech just kept saying "I'm not allowed to tell you anything" each time wife asked if something was wrong, is everything ok? Wife had a panic attack. Stupid shits at the hospital saw her pulse and baby's pulse start shooting sky high and were about to send her to delivery. I know that if I was there to hold her hand and talk with her during that panic attack, she never would have gotten nearly as bad. I ended up being able to talk my way past security at the hospital and get to her room despite the rules. From there, it took less than 5 minutes for me to calm her down and get her blood pressure and pulse under control. Trying to just talk to her over the phone wasn't working. Thankfully were able to get her de-escalated and the doctors were no longer looking at delivering the baby at 26 weeks there anymore. But holy shit was that close and were they talking heavily about it.

She was scared. And there's no shame in that. 1st pregnancy, at risk pregnancy, not allowed to have anyone with you and then the nursing staff is just freaking you out more? She has existing anxiety issues, and having to go to all those appointments alone was what put our baby at risk more than anything.

Also the stupid way they measure growth in the womb. Our super small, 4-10% sized baby? Born a week early at a full 8 pounds. I so wanted to show this 20 inch long chunky "IUGR" newborn to the ultra sound readers and slap them.

Spending more time with their kids made people realize how terrible they are.

plus with all the kids home, who has time to sneak away for sex? Closest Me or my wife got was having kids up our ass all fucking day

Back