pullups/ chinups

rEdShawks

Brown Belt
Reaction score
*Forgive me if this has been discussed before

I have recently been following a puhsup routine and to "equal" myself out im goin to start doing pullups, and i wanted to know the difference between certain types

Like which muscles get worked out when you do chinups and which different ones when you do pullups , or like if u put your hands closer together or further apart what does that work out differently than a normal pullup, also are there any different exercises you can do besides the pullup/chinup on a chin up bar?
thankyou

ick...

a pushup routine? come on now man

So what all does this routine entail? Do you even do your legs? I mean a pushup routine?!

i mix up my strength routines by pushes and pulls.

conventional proper pullups with a slightly wider than shoulder width grip work the lats and back more. underhand shoulder width grip works more of the biceps and arms. you can also do pullups alternating your head to either side facing the direction of the bar. all good stuff. pullups will make you very strong.

ick...

So what all does this routine entail? Do you even do your legs? I mean a pushup routine?!

if he's doing his boxing or something more full body for conditioning in the eveninghe's fine.
i do my upper and lower strength stuff on different days.

Wide grip hangs, add weight, clapping pullups

Chin ups are more of a bicep/lat excerize while pull ups work your back more and arms not so much.

Hey TS, while you're here in S&P why don't you ask everyone how they feel about you telling people to buy the perfect pushups based on the results they've given you?

Sorry to be a dick, but maybe you see a little more what I was saying.

Pushups are a horizontal push movement.
Pullups are a vertical pull movement.

Dips are a vertical push movement. Handstand pushups are as well.
Rows are a horizontal pull movement. You can do inverted rows on a pull bar.

You may want to balance paired movements rather than going by name and pairing pushups and pullups.

It's not bad. If I was doing bodyweight upper body work, I would mix various pull and push work.

You know, the more I think about it, the more annoyed I become that you are over in other forums giving advice to people like you have any idea what you're talking about.

Hey TS, while you're here in S&P why don't you ask everyone how they feel about you telling people to buy the perfect pushups based on the results they've given you?

but aren't the perfect push-ups teh L337?

Pick a pullup variation (chins, pullups, thickbar pullups, rope pullups, towel/gi pullups, mixed grip pullups, tennis ball pullups, ring pullups, etc.) and do it to gain proficiency. when you stop making progress in that type of pullup and are unable to add weight or reps, pick another variation and start over. Forget about the muscle group bullshit.

ick...

maybe it was a bad choice of words, i dont lift weights (i run and train cardio) and i am currently doing one of these train to do 100 pushups program

Wide grip hangs, add weight, clapping pullups

forgive me for maybe being ignorant but are clapping pullups possible?

o great ure in here also:icon_lol: so what everyone is against it, i dont care i use them, and im sure they are not worse for me then regular pushups so if anything it just causes me to think im stronger and to actually do pushups

Pushups are a horizontal push movement.
Pullups are a vertical pull movement.

Dips are a vertical push movement. Handstand pushups are as well.
Rows are a horizontal pull movement. You can do inverted rows on a pull bar.

You may want to balance paired movements rather than going by name and pairing pushups and pullups.

It's not bad. If I was doing bodyweight upper body work, I would mix various pull and push work.

im pretty noobish when it comes to working out , i just want to put on a little upeper body strenth and make sure i dont grow too "uneven"

You know, the more I think about it, the more annoyed I become that you are over in other forums giving advice to people like you have any idea what you're talking about.

well 1st , i do know alot about running and cardio workouts 2nd i typically only give advice about running/cardio. 3rd. what u are talking about is my perfect pushup recomendation , which i can do since i tried them out and am just stating my opinion on how i feel about them4th i said i dont know much and you probally know more before i gave my personal experience about it. 5th get AWAY!!!!

forgive me for maybe being ignorant but are clapping pullups possible?
Yes. And I forgot to list them in my list of variations. Additionally you can vary grip width on a number of the variants I gave you to almost triple the list if you include narrow, medium and wide grip pullups.
im pretty noobish when it comes to working out , i just want to put on a little upeper body strenth and make sure i dont grow too "uneven"
Everyone's goals are different, some people want to train very efficiently, others want to do 100 pushups. whatever your goals are I like to think this is a relatively conducive environment for achieving them. So, I for one applaud your endeavor to improve pullup proficiency.

But please don't neglect your lower body, if you insist on a bodyweight only routine (and I don't endorse this), I HIGHLY reccomend you get good at pistols (one legged squats). Lower body is key to any real development.

What 100 pushup program are you on and how many pushups can you do right now?

Back