pullups/ chinups

because that is not a big concern in jujitsu... and you're an idiot

lol @ long lasting bicep strength for jujitsu...

There was a blog written by Josh Barnett that mentioned isolation workout for specific body parts for grappling because when a limb is isolated by the opponent, the rest of the body can't come to the rescue. So I guess having strong biceps would give you more time to respond in case of an arm bar.

in all my years of jujitsu... I can honestly say that obtaining long lasting bicep strength for jujitsu is one of the bottom concerns on the list when talking lifting for jujitsu...

There was a blog written by Josh Barnett that mentioned isolation workout for specific body parts for grappling because when a limb is isolated by the opponent, the rest of the body can't come to the rescue. So I guess having strong biceps would give you more time to respond in case of an arm bar.

P.S. he said long lasting... not strong... long lasting won't help in an armbar situation

because that is not a big concern in jujitsu... and you're an idiot

Calm down.
I agree bicep strength isnt a BIG concern but it is a concern none the less.
Who would you rather fight, the guy with great technique or the guy with an iron upper body and great technique?
When I clinch I wanna break ribs.
When Im RNCing Im cutting off that blood and air as hard and fast as possible, if its on the jaw I wanna break it.
You get caught in an armbar in an akward position, you wanna be able to buy a few extra seconds to work out.
Even holding side control.
Bicep strength helps with all of it.
I wanna be stronger than the next guy in every aspect, make every part of my game better than his.

P.S. he said long lasting... not strong... long lasting won't help in an armbar situation

and sorry for not specifically saying strong, i just assumed you would understand that doing chins with heavy weight would make your biceps strong.

1 muscle/joint vs entire body is 99.9% lose situation for the 1 muscle/joint.....the whole point of JJ/grappling is to neutralize strength/size advantage of the opponent...so trying to strengthen your biceps is a losing battle if that's your whole plan at trying to slip out of a submission or prevent one from being applied....I am not a fighter/grappler but to me it's common sense that you must practice the skills...ie escapes or counter moves ...

even if u got limited supplies you still should train your entire body

-hand stand push ups
-dips
-pistols
-natural glute/ham raises
-various core movements
-unilateral RDLs
-overhead squats
-burpees, various plyos...etc..

Pull Ups/Chin Ups

Grip Width: Narrow, Mid, Wide

Grip Type: Supinated, Pronated, Neutral(commando), Alternating

Speed: Slow(frenchies/isometrics), normal tempo(although you can still vary it), explosive(clap, changing grip)

Equipment: Bar, Rings, Towels, Straps, Gi, Rafters, Branch, Pipe, etc

Variations: bw, weighted, isometrics, eccentrics(weighted or bw), clap, clap+switching grip each rep, leaning to left or right on, using rope for one arm and bar for other, one arm, horizontal,

doing jsut push ups is utter shit...hope you realize that...

1 muscle/joint vs entire body is 99.9% lose situation for the 1 muscle/joint.....the whole point of JJ/grappling is to neutralize strength/size advantage of the opponent...so trying to strengthen your biceps is a losing battle if that's your whole plan at trying to slip out of a submission or prevent one from being applied....I am not a fighter/grappler but to me it's common sense that you must practice the skills...ie escapes or counter moves ...

even if u got limited supplies you still should train your entire body

-hand stand push ups
-dips
-pistols
-natural glute/ham raises
-various core movements
-unilateral RDLs
-overhead squats
-burpees, various plyos...etc..

Pull Ups/Chin Ups

Grip Width: Narrow, Mid, Wide

Grip Type: Supinated, Pronated, Neutral(commando), Alternating

Speed: Slow(frenchies/isometrics), normal tempo(although you can still vary it), explosive(clap, changing grip)

Equipment: Bar, Rings, Towels, Straps, Gi, Rafters, Branch, Pipe, etc

Variations: bw, weighted, isometrics, eccentrics(weighted or bw), clap, clap+switching grip each rep, leaning to left or right on, using rope for one arm and bar for other, one arm, horizontal,

doing jsut push ups is utter shit...hope you realize that...

I already said technique is more important than strength.
Already said I concentrate on technique and try not to use any strength while rolling.

What did you expect when you say you're on a "push-up routine." I mean damn, I do alot of push-ups for JROTC but this is fucking retarded. You definitely need to do some kind of lower body workout, even high rep BW squats and lunges.

This thread is a hate crime against S&P

Agree that this thread is fucked. A guy is getting flamed for doing weighted chins to get his biceps stronger. He didn't even say he wanted to work on his peak or size...he just wants to get stronger for his sport...and he's doing heavy compound excercises.

HOW DO YOU FLAME THAT??????

Strong biceps may not even be top 10 most import aspect of JJ, but working on making your biceps stronger WITH CHINUPS IS NOT A CRIME!!!!!

P.S. If Urban and Keith were a gay couple and adopted me... my life would be complete...

I'm actually kinda flattered you think I'm good enough to be Keith's wife...

This thread haunted me for much of yesterday. I got to thinking, how important is it for a cross country runner to develop the athletic attributes we train for in this forum? I think a bodyweight routine may get him exactly where he needs to go. It's not like he needs to develop a lot of peak strength, but pistol, pullup, and pushup proficiency, as well as some time on the ab wheel may do him good in the 20+ range. anyone have thoughts on this specifically? I just don't see reason for him to squat a quarter ton like the rest of us.

This thread haunted me for much of yesterday. I got to thinking, how important is it for a cross country runner to develop the athletic attributes we train for in this forum? I think a bodyweight routine may get him exactly where he needs to go. It's not like he needs to develop a lot of peak strength, but pistol, pullup, and pushup proficiency, as well as some time on the ab wheel may do him good in the 20+ range. anyone have thoughts on this specifically? I just don't see reason for him to squat a quarter ton like the rest of us.
I'm not sure it is important at all. I think it depends on what kind of distances he is running. If he were a sprinter (I don't think he is), then he should have a serious lifting routine. But if he is a distance runner, maybe not. If you look at top echelon marathon runners, they are emaciated. I imagine that for those guys any added mass is a big disadvantage.

Disclaimer: I can barely run to my kitchen to get my whey powder.

That's kind of like being a powerlifter who ONLY does bench, dead, and squat. A lot of runners ONLY run and have competitive times, but we also have to remember that a lot of people with amazing times are amazing people, they'll make up for shitty diet and program design with tons of hard work. They'll also end up with injuries later on in life.

Also we have no idea if redshawks is an amazing person at all, based on his other posts I am going to go out on a limb and say he doesn't know much about cardio like he has claimed in this thread, and he is also not anywhere near setting records with his training regime. I think you offered some EXTREMELY helpful and correct advice.

TS needs to channel his inner Screech for Cross country.

Screech.jpg

someone understands!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_chee:D:icon_chee

Back