Provodnikov vs Matthysse in the works

chop chop fought both of them. he said provodnikov has zero chance

Molina shouldn't have had a chance either and he hurt Lucas badly. Matthysse has defence holes after and while he's punching which gaves accurate punchers plenty of chances to capitalize on and once he gets tagged he won't clinch because he's a puncher but fires back.

He can box but he can't just outbox you for 12 rounds he's a puncher and he won't do that he has skills but he has boxer-puncher skills with an emphasis on the "puncher" so he won't do an Algieri and just outpoint Provo.

Yes I have a thing for underdogs but I can really see how Provo could beat him not without taking punches himself but Lucas has taken more damage in his career than Provo and he has been seriously hurt before unlike Provo.
Provodnikov isn't that skilled for an high level guy in the pure boxing sense but while he is a pure puncher he is a skilled puncher and he is incredibly good at forcing exchanges and outpunching rather than outboxing other opponents.

For Chop Chop it is different because he is a boxer and he thinks like a pure boxer and compared to matthysse yes Provo isn't as skileld of a boxer but he is every bit as skilled of a puncher.

just look at the Bradley fight bradley is 20 times the boxer Provo is and he took insane amounts of damage and had a close fight with Provo.Yes Bradley could have fought smarter but it wasn#t only bradley who forced the exchanges but obviously also provo and here you can see that being the better boxer doesn't mean you are the better puncher (technically not power wise) and better in exchanges. Provo had better power than bradley but he was also slower and bradley had an insane chin power wasn#t the only reason Provo got the better of a lot of the exchanges punching (meaning exchanging) is also a skill

Provo is always ineffective after the first 2-3 rds.Those middle rds when he follows his opponent around with a low guard are going to spell death vsMatthyse.

Matthysse is a slow starter and Provos only chance is Early.

Provo has only lost against 3 guys: Herrera, Bradley, and Algieri. Lucas might be easier to hit then all of those guys, so I doubt he's getting of this one unscathed. We'll see how much he has left after taking a beating in a few fights recently.

Mauricio-Herrera-Post-Provo.jpg

163848430.0.jpg

Chris-Algieri-eye-swollen.jpg

Provo has only lost against 3 guys: Herrera, Bradley, and Algieri. Lucas might be easier to hit then all of those guys, so I doubt he's getting of this one unscathed. We'll see how much he has left after taking a beating in a few fights recently.

Th biggest puncher you mentioned was Mathysse. The worst boxer you mentioned is Provodnikov.

Provodnikov is the guy who is going to get hit with power he's never felt before.

Obviously both guys are punchers here, but Mathysse is more skilled. Provodnikov wins by landing a bomb.No other way.Puncher's chance.

chop chop fought both of them. he said provodnikov has zero chance

Man, I remember his fight with Matthysse. Matthysse beat the fuck out of Chop Chop. I like Chop Chop, dude is tough as nails and only been stopped 5 times in 22 losses. Matthysse is one of those five to stop him, and he dropped Chop Chop 9 times before they called it off. 9.

Anyway, my boy Matthysse is gonna beat the breaks off of Provo. He's an underrated boxer and sets his shots up much better than Provo. Matthysse ko via hook to the liver, rd6.

Th biggest puncher you mentioned was Mathysse. The worst boxer you mentioned is Provodnikov.

Provodnikov is the guy who is going to get hit with power he's never felt before.

Obviously both guys are punchers here, but Mathysse is more skilled. Provodnikov wins by landing a bomb.No other way.Puncher's chance.

I fully expect Matthysse to box slightly better than Provo and win the fight. This is Matthysse's fight to lose, being the more skilled and more experienced fighter.

But a bomb is not the only way Provo can win. You can't assume Lucas is at his absolutely 100% peak right now, at his age and coming off a few tough fights. If Provo can apply consistent pressure and land an equal amount of shots, Matthysse may come apart sooner due to wear and tear. Provo has proven to be very difficult to hurt, Matthysse has been hurt a few times.

eh, I disagree. Provodnikov is as one dimensional as a fighter can be. He has 0 ability to adjust to what his opponent is doing and has a tantrum when the fight is over if a guy didn't hold still and let him KO the guy.

People look at Herrera and say he's some sort of slickster but he's really not. He's a brawler who can't punch basically and he took Provodnikov's best shots and won a decision.

You need more than power at the elite level and thats all Provodnikov has.

A big thing with me is that Provo's never really faced a puncher. Alvarado has to be the hardest puncher Provo's fought and Mike's not exactly a killer in that department like Matthysse is.

Matthysse has 36 wins, 34 ko's. One of those 36 wins was a dq early in his career. In other words, Matthysse has one Dec win in his whole career, when he lands a clean shot, it's gonna hurt any human near his weightclass. Provo has no defense and won't be able to move like guys like Danny, Devon, and Zab did. Matthysse still managed to drop both Zab and Devon. He is a more dangerous puncher and has more boxing skills and sets his shots up better.

ZINZU DA LEEVA, LA MAQUINA!!

eh, I disagree. Provodnikov is as one dimensional as a fighter can be. He has 0 ability to adjust to what his opponent is doing and has a tantrum when the fight is over if a guy didn't hold still and let him KO the guy.

People look at Herrera and say he's some sort of slickster but he's really not. He's a brawler who can't punch basically and he took Provodnikov's best shots and won a decision.

Herrera did that to Garcia too, and most people I know think he defeated Garcia. When he did it to Garcia you said Herrera was a tough fight for anybody and kinda gave Garcia a pass for looking off.

Provo isn't special, but he's not all that far off from some of these other guys who are considered the best. I do agree it's annoying when a guy loses and blames the other guy's style. It sounded ridiculous when he was trying to rationalize his loss to Algieri by saying he wouldn't stand still, he should be embarrassed about that.

Herrera did that to Garcia too, and most people I know think he defeated Garcia. When he did it to Garcia you said Herrera was a tough fight for anybody and kinda gave Garcia a pass for looking off..

I don't see how my statement was contradictory. Herrera is a good fighter. I didn't imply otherwise. I'm saying, people say Herrera is slick but he's really not. He just brawls it out. I'm saying, power isn't going to keep Provodnikov at the elite level.

Provodnikov doesn't have the boxing ability to just walk in on a big puncher like Mathysse IMO.

I have a hard time seeing Matty being able to play smart. He will be tempted to brawl and that's where I see him losing.

I honestly could see either guy getting stopped I guess, but I wouldn't be shocked if Provodnikov doesn't make it out of the first round.

I don't see how my statement was contradictory. Herrera is a good fighter. I didn't imply otherwise. I'm saying, people say Herrera is slick but he's really not. He just brawls it out. I'm saying, power isn't going to keep Provodnikov at the elite level.

Provodnikov doesn't have the boxing ability to just walk in on a big puncher like Mathysse IMO.

I don't think he can either, not without taking brain-damaging shots.

My money is on Matthysse, and I'm not even close to picking Provo. But at his core, Lucas is a brawler so I can't imagine him going 12 rounds without getting caught up in the moment and exchanging some brutal shots. He really shouldn't brawl with Provo.

The Algieri fight left us with an image of Provo being a lost caveman in the boxing ring, but Matthysse can't do what Algieri did. He doesn't have the body, style, or mentality. Matthysse should be able to win, but I think his style and his bravado will put him at considerable risk.

To me the question is does Provo actually want to stay there once he's in? He's a tank but I don't think that's where he wants to be; once he's in close he looks less dynamic and less effective. He wants the distance to generate power. If Provo does decide to come out, I think Lucas is a little sharper and because of that a little faster, and if they get into a firefight Matty should beat Ruslan to the punch. And despite Ruslan never being KO'd, if it's possible Lucas will be the guy to do it.

I really can't see a way for Provo to win except for a punchers-chance. If they stay just inside punching range, they'll knock the crap out of each other and I think Lucas gets the better of him. If it stays inside, Provo gets outworked.

I don't think he can either, not without taking brain-damaging shots.

My money is on Matthysse, and I'm not even close to picking Provo. But at his core, Lucas is a brawler so I can't imagine him going 12 rounds without getting caught up in the moment and exchanging some brutal shots. He really shouldn't brawl with Provo.

The Algieri fight left us with an image of Provo being a lost caveman in the boxing ring, but Matthysse can't do what Algieri did. He doesn't have the body, style, or mentality. Matthysse should be able to win, but I think his style and his bravado will put him at considerable risk.

I don't think Matthysse is a brawler, his punch selection is a little to advanced IMO and he knows how to fight from distance.

I don't think Matthysse is a brawler, his punch selection is a little to advanced IMO and he knows how to fight from distance.

He can definitely box some. But what I meant by, "a brawler at his core," is that he has a brawlers heart and mentality. He has always wanted to knock guys out, not box and move. That instinct is a bit dangerous against another puncher, and I expect it to come out plenty of times throughout the fight.

he is one dimensional but he is incredibly good for being that one dimensional.Provo did better vs Herrera than GArcia did. You say Herrara onbly brawls it out yet he didn't do that vs either Garcia or Provo so how is what youa re saying not completely wrong?
You hate punchers you even called Adonis Stevenson who is more of a counterpuncher thanna pure puncher a one dimensional puncher you dislike every puncher and are always favouring the more boxer esque fighter in every matchup you even think Duran isn't as skilled as others say.

provo will catch Mattysse in an exchange and then it's make or break for mattysse if he gets hurt then he gets finished Provo is usually a great finisher.

anyone want to make an avatar bet I say Provodnikov wins just because he seems to get really underrated

You guys are making good points for both guys. Matthysse is by far my favorite fighter in the sport right now, and it's not even close, so I'm obviously biased, that being said, being as objective as possible, I can't find much of an advantage for Provo in any areas here. Danny put on a great performance against Matty but I don't think he really took a bad beating or anything that would affect Matthysse long term or anything. The Molina fight was where we saw him get tagged hard by a big puncher and he not only survived, but came back to get the ko.

Imo, Molina's right hand that he dropped Matthysse with both times is harder than anything Provo can land. I'm not saying that Provo can't knock Matthysse out, he definitely can, but I think it's much more likely that Provo's on the receiving end of the ko if/when it comes.

Like I said earlier itt, Matty has ko'd or dropped every single one of his opponents except for Danny. He's the only guy in the last 15 years to stop Humberto Soto, even if Soto was past it, that's really impressive. I think some people are underrating Matthysse's power here, this dude is a real, legit, p4p puncher.

And, despite all the ko's on his record, Matthysse does not gas, either, he has one hitter quitter power and he's got great stamina on top of that. Remember that Molina fight was a war, where he had to get off the canvas twice, and was still working John over late in the fight looking for the ko. To be fair to Provo, his cardio is very good too for a guy who is known for being a ko artist.

I agree with Nac, this dude isn't looking to box, it's not in his nature. He uses his boxing purely to find his distance to set up ko shots, e.g. he likes to use a straight right to the body to gauge his range and likes to follow up with his hook upstairs or downstairs for the kill shot.

Also, Matthysse's hook to the body is one of the best in the sport, imo, so don't be surprised if he does get the ko, he ends up finishing Provo with a bodyshot rather than to the head. Same can go for Provo against Matty, he has a nice hook downstairs, too. Both guys have great chins, but we'll see how they take an extended beating to the body.

/rant. No I will not get off of Matthysse's nuts and yes I probably will be at this fight live, screaming some absurd nonsensical shit like ZINZU DA LEEVA!!

He can definitely box some. But what I meant by, "a brawler at his core," is that he has a brawlers heart and mentality. He has always wanted to knock guys out, not box and move. That instinct is a bit dangerous against another puncher, and I expect it to come out plenty of times throughout the fight.

I'm not sure he has the "brawlers heart" (go out and brawl first and foremost) but rather just a warriors spirit (the ability to dig deep and brawl when necessary). I think he's like Hearns or the Klitschkos, he definitely wants the KO, but he's not going to "go for it," he'll set it up and let it come to him and he'll take a thinking approach to it.

He isn't a huge combination puncher though, so we'll see how that affects him when he gets into shootouts with Provo.

Back