Provodnikov vs Matthysse in the works

Provo has stamina issues. Matthysse always boxes for the first few rds. By the time Matthysse goes for the kill provo will be spent. Pretty easy fight to predict. It will only be a brutal slug fest if provo can take his punch. Which contrary to popular opinion we don't know if provo can take a punch from a guy like Matthysse.

I'm not sure he has the "brawlers heart" (go out and brawl first and foremost) but rather just a warriors spirit (the ability to dig deep and brawl when necessary). I think he's like Hearns or the Klitschkos, he definitely wants the KO, but he's not going to "go for it," he'll set it up and let it come to him and he'll take a thinking approach to it.

He isn't a huge combination puncher though, so we'll see how that affects him when he gets into shootouts with Provo.

I like Matthysse, but I don't think Matthysse is anywhere near the boxer that Hearns or Klitschko are. Those guys could outbox almost anybody in their division, and just happened to combine it with devastating power. Matthysse isn't outboxing any top level guys, as evidenced by the Garcia, Alexander, and Judah fights.

Yeah I love Matthysse but he ain't no Hearns, especially in the boxing dept. Hearns, imo, was more of a boxer with a shit ton of power than he was anything else. Matthysse is not that.

Ruslan wins, I stay supporting the Siberian Rocky.

Gonna shock a lot of you. He'll earn your respect.

Ruslan wins, I stay supporting the Siberian Rocky.

Gonna shock a lot of you. He'll earn your respect.

He should already have everyone's respect...

Fight of the year against a P4P fighter in tim Bradley, and always barn burner fights...

why the hell would you not respect Ruslan?

Seems like a Hipster, douche bag thing to do...not like him...just because he "brawls."

Fight of the year against a P4P fighter in tim Bradley, and always barn burner fights...

Seems like a Hipster, douche bag thing to do...not like him...just because he "brawls."

I think his style is ugly, I don't enjoy watching him.

I also think he's a sore loser who blames his losses on his opponents having boxing skills.

Provo is one dimensional, but entertaining to watch most of the time. Nothing not to respect about him. He's tough. I don't follow that snobby attitude that only the technical fighters deserve respect. I see him for what he is. He's a fun fighter who'll never be at the top or may not even be around for a long time. This is a fun fight to look forward to.

I like Matthysse, but I don't think Matthysse is anywhere near the boxer that Hearns or Klitschko are. Those guys could outbox almost anybody in their division, and just happened to combine it with devastating power. Matthysse isn't outboxing any top level guys, as evidenced by the Garcia, Alexander, and Judah fights.

oh, I agree that his boxing skills aren't at a Hearns or Klithscko level, rather that he doesn't just try brawling for the KO, rather, he likes to set up his shot and go for it at the right time. I had the Alexander fight for Matthysee and maybe the Zab fight btw.

Matthysse won the Alexander fight. I don't see how anyone can possibly find 6 rds for him.

Judah as well. Matthysse stayed slow and people think because Judah was throwing a pulling jab hiring air he was winning theRds. Want the case imo.

im actually suprised that there are so many people picking matty. Style wise provo is not a good matchup for matthysse. We can sit here and talk all day long about whos the better boxer ( which matthysse is) but at the end of the day unless he changes up his style signifigantly this fight is going to be a brawl. And if the fight is going to be a brawl provo has the advantage. Provo via TKO round 9 or 10. Dont forget mattysse got dropped by molina/garcia. judah and soto hurt him as well. As great a fighter as he is, hes still has been rocked before, and i think provo will do it again

Matthysse won the Alexander fight. I don't see how anyone can possibly find 6 rds for him.

Judah as well. Matthysse stayed slow and people think because Judah was throwing a pulling jab hiring air he was winning theRds. Want the case imo.

The Judah fight was close enough to go either way and I have no problem scoring it a draw or giving having it go to either fighter close. Matthysse started way too late in that fight for any calls of robbery to be have any merit. Even Matthysse/Alexander was very close, though, I thought Matthysse should have edged it. I've always thought Kotelnik/Alexander was closer to being a genuine robbery than Matthysse/Alexander.

The Judah fight was close enough to go either way and I have no problem scoring it a draw or giving having it go to either fighter close. Matthysse started way too late in that fight for any calls of robbery to be have any merit. Even Matthysse/Alexander was very close, though, I thought Matthysse should have edged it. I've always thought Kotelnik/Alexander was closer to being a genuine robbery than Matthysse/Alexander.

You can have close robberies. Most rds were pretty clear and Matthysse got a KD. I just dont see how anyone can find 6 rds for Alexander, and yes Kotelnik was robbed.

This is going to be an awesome fight. I'm fortunate that I'll not be working, and I'll be able to catch it live, because I anticipate some heart pounding moments come this Saturday night.

I don't know who is going to win, but I think based on skillset the book is about right at the moment, with Mathysse being the favorite.

I don't necessarily believe that Mathysse's greater acumen, or speed advantage is going to make a bit of difference in the end. In the end, I think it's going to be a dogfight, and if they can each take the other's power, it's going to be a magical night of boxing.

Provodnikov has had his worst moments against runners, Mathysse isn't going to be moving too much past the 4th round or so IMO.
Provodnikov is the kind of fighter that thrives in a back and forth battle, and this fight is going to be right up his alley.
There seems to be a belief that Ruslan gasses. I don't think that's necessarily the case. He can be lulled into inactivity and repetition through frustration. In essence, he can be put in a mental state where he's just going through the motions.

I do NOT see that happening against Lucas, because, simply put, Lucas brings it, and if you aren't motivated in the ring against Lucas, it's probably because you're a) a robot, or b) unconscious.

I put my $ on Ruslan, simply because the line is sweeter, and I believe it's going to be around a 50/50 type of fight, especially if it goes past the 4th or 5th round.

There's a UFC card on this weekend as well, but that'll be on tape delay @ my house, 'cause THIS is must see TV.

You can have close robberies. Most rds were pretty clear and Matthysse got a KD. I just dont see how anyone can find 6 rds for Alexander, and yes Kotelnik was robbed.

I really don't agree with that. I think the term "robbery" has lost some of its meaning lately. Every decision fans don't agree with is a robbery. I mean, I generally stand by my scores even if they don't match what the judges had but that doesn't mean its a robbery.

I don't think you can say a fight was close and then in the next breath say the decision was a robbery.

I really don't agree with that. I think the term "robbery" has lost some of its meaning lately. Every decision fans don't agree with is a robbery. I mean, I generally stand by my scores even if they don't match what the judges had but that doesn't mean its a robbery.

I don't think you can say a fight was close and then in the next breath say the decision was a robbery.

I think there are exceptions like the Alexander fight. He needed 6 rds. In a fight where almost evry rd is pretty clear to who the winner is you can have a close robbery. Alexander didnt win 6 rds.

Its rare, but it happens clear rds, close robbery.

I cant wait for this fight. I think if Matthysse will take it if he fights smart but if he starts slugging like he always does he could get put to sleep. I think his speed will be the difference.

I think his style is ugly, I don't enjoy watching him.

I also think he's a sore loser who blames his losses on his opponents having boxing skills.

his style, which relies on brute power and strength? What's not to like?

Yeah, he's a little rough around the edges, but I appreciate a fighter who employs his limited tool set to compete with some of the best...

and how can you not respect a fighter who comes back from getting outboxed all the middle rounds against Tim Bradley, only to score a dramatic knock down in the 12th.

His style is a little rough around the edges but he's incredibly fun to watch...

I don't think Matty defeats him as easily as many here think.

This has fight of the year written all over it.

his style, which relies on brute power and strength? What's not to like?

Its not a style that I enjoy watching. He's sloppy, goofy and 100% reliant on power. He can't adjust to what his opponent is doing and just wings power shots until he lands or the final bell rings.

provodnikov029999.jpg

"I score knockdown 11 rounds ago! I got robbed, I can't fight that style!!!"

Its not a style that I enjoy watching. He's sloppy, goofy and 100% reliant on power.

Provo relies on power, but he's not very sloppy or goofy.

I'd say Shawn Porter is sloppier, goofier, and equally reliant on power (physical strength more than punching power).

Back