Prophet Muhammad Cartoon Contest

So should Muslims self censor instead of trying to use outdated, backwards religious dogma to infringe upon the freedoms of others (freedom to draw whatever they please)?

If we cede fundamental freedoms in the west to appease intolerant religious ideologues, we've already lost.

The "being an asshole" part is subjective and irrelevant. You'd garner similar criticisms from Muslims if you depicted Muhammed at all, regardless of the way you depicted him.

Yes Muslims should self censor. I agree.

I would never cede my free speech rights but just because I can say something does not mean I have to or that it is the right thing to do. I don't mind going out of my way to not step on other peoples toes for the most part. Its not that hard. Just because I can do something or even just because I want to do something does not mean I have to or that it is a good idea.

I am saying we don't have to go around being assholes to other people just because we can.

You wouldn't say that about a comedian attacking Christianity in a joke. You only care because some crazies are telling you that Islam is more sacred than anything else people joke about. It's religion. It gets mocked all the time in all forms. Ohhh', not Islam though. That's over the line.

If you want to be part of the West, then you've got to apply yourself to the standards (which can admittedly be low). Sometimes it means that you get to be made fun of.

Nothing is sacred. Just look at how the Americans are treating their own president.

Stay in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia and you'll be able to cut off people's heads for blasphemy, as much as you want.

There are over 1+ billion Muslims in the world, it's not a tiny religion trying to cling onto existence under authoritarian pressure and secular mockery. It's like with Christianity, all bets are off. You're a big boy, you should be able to take it.

Sure, it shows how irrational/childish the extremist are. But it also shows how irrational/childish the people who show up at the convention are.

It's embarrassing all around.
Whatever nonviolent action shines a light on irrational Muslims, and the hypocrisy towards their special treatment, is all good with me. We already know how ridiculous people can be, but mocking stupidity (hell anything) is never censored, it's a hallmark of western values.

Lol. This guy gets it.

Drunken incomplete posts/thoughts need their own tag.

You log in drunk, you hit a button/toggle to let people know you're about to confuse the hell out of everyone in the thread.

You wouldn't say that about a comedian attacking Christianity in a joke. You only care because some crazies are telling you that Islam is more sacred than anything else people joke about. It's religion. It gets mocked all the time in all forms. Ohhh', not Islam though. That's over the line.

You are wrong about that. I would not ever argue to censor a person not to make fun of other peoples religions race ect. I also think "comedy" is often an excuse to just be a dick. I do think comedians ought to mellow out and not be such assholes.

Bill Maher is a great example. I agree with most of his political ideal. I also think he is one of the funniest guys alive. I also think he stokes the fires of prejudice and meanness against the right and that he is wrong for doing it. I do not think he should be censored.

Yes Muslims should self censor. I agree.

I would never cede my free speech rights but just because I can say something does not mean I have to or that it is the right thing to do. I don't mind going out of my way to not step on other peoples toes for the most part. Its not that hard. Just because I can do something or even just because I want to do something does not mean I have to or that it is a good idea.

I agree that people shouldn't go out of their way to offend.

BUT, It isn't just the goat fucking, child molestering images of Muhammed that Muslims have been known to object to. It's any drawing or depiction.

Is recreating an historical image featuring Muhammed "being an asshole?" because Muslims have been known to object to that too.

If Muslims weren't so rigid and outright steadfast(to the point of violence) in their views, this would all be a non issue and these "contests" would likely cease to exist.

I don't even care about the legal end of all of this. Let them hash that out. I think just because it is legal and protected to go out and be an asshole doesn't make you not an asshole. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

One of these dumb shits will end up getting killed (an outrageous and horrific act) and then everyone will feel sorry for him. That is stupid too.
So Muslims are dangerous

So Muslims are dangerous

Yes some are. We should really work to support every single Muslim who stands against persecution within their own religion. We should also have serious and honest discussions about the wrongs that are done in the name of that religion.

He worries about it more because the consequences of criticizing Islam are more real. People get killed, people get scared, people buy into the terrifying image of Islam.

Terror is an extremely central concept to Islam, and perhaps the foundation for its modern day existence. Terror increases the threshold of anyone criticizing it, anyone abandoning it, much more so than "peace-loving" hippie version of modern Christianity.

If we had a bunch of Crusaders and inquisitors killing people at a whim over a deemed insult at Jesus, people would be terrified of criticizing that religion as well. But we don't, so even the people with a low threshold for fear, and aversion to violence, are willing to take their shot.

Lol, What the hell is wrong with you guys? Saying that it is childish and idiotic to have a "draw Muhammed" convention is taking the side of radical extremists?

You have all lost your minds. Except for OldShadow, he is being completely reasonable.
It would be childish and idiotic if there was no threat of reprisal for doing so. It's a sad state of affairs that the simple right of drawing old Mo has to be exercised in order for it to remain a right.

You're not taking sides. You'd rather relinquish freedoms because you think offending a made up belief (kafirs can draw the old pedo) is a worse offense than keeping basic rights.

Oldshadow and I are on the same page. I'm not talking about going to a Mosque and being disrespectful. But there is no reason a secular country can't have a secular newspaper publish a picture of Mo without a fuss. This is a pushback (via publicity stunt) against that attitude.

Just the mere fact that the announcement of drawing the prophet is causing an outrage should raise a red flag. There are people out there who don't want you to draw a picture of a man. And you'd rather apease those people than push back. Pathetic.

Definitely caters to the shoe size > IQ crowd, but it's their right to do it and they should be left be. Honestly ignoring this stupidity is probably more effective than getting riled up about it.

I agree that people shouldn't go out of their way to offend.

BUT, It isn't just the goat fucking, child molestering images of Muhammed that Muslims have been known to object to. It's any drawing or depiction.

Is recreating an historical image featuring Muhammed "being an asshole?" because Muslims have been known to object to that too.

If Muslims weren't so rigid and outright steadfast(to the point of violence) in their views, this would all be a non issue and these "contests" would likely cease to exist.

It is not going to harm me NOT to draw an image of Mohamed. If it is something so sacred to them that they wish for it to never happen it is not skin off my back not to do it.

You are wrong about that. I would not ever argue to censor a person not to make fun of other peoples religions race ect. I also think "comedy" is often an excuse to just be a dick. I do think comedians ought to mellow out and not be such assholes.

Well, I guess you don't get the point of comedy that we're supposed to be able to laugh at ourselves. When we lose that ability, we're all just as fucked as those idiots rioting over a fucking cartoon.

Some aspects of modern culture are so pathetic. There is a problem with Islamic extremism, and their idea is to have a troll competition? I feel like there are millions of overgrown man-children nowadays. Grow up, it's embarrassing.

If you want to protest extremism then do something that actually protests extremism. Don't just gather a bunch of losers to draw pictures of Muhammed. That has nothing to do with extremism, it's just shamefully juvenile.
Like much of the attacks on Christianity going on in Western nations.

Well, I guess you don't get the point of comedy that we're supposed to be able to laugh at ourselves. When we lose that ability, we're all just as fucked as those idiots rioting over a fucking cartoon.

I am not losing that ability though. I am just interested in respecting other peoples values up to a certain point. I support vigorous debate about the ideals in the Muslim religion and I support all the men and women who would stand against persecution in their own countries. I don't see the need to make images (often cartoonish) of a holy figure within a religion. It is not necessary to the cause and I lose nothing of importance in not doing so.

Agree. No I do not believe in legally censoring speech but why do people have to be such assholes in the first place? If something is sacred to a certain religion just leave it alone FFS.

No

Nothing is above being mocked criticized or questioned regardless of how offensive it is

We dont give the Ku Klux Klan religious consideration because we know what a lot of they think is bullshit and islam should be treated the same way

Problem isnt the assholes doing the drawing the problem is the assholes who react to it.

It is not necessary to the cause and I lose nothing of importance in not doing so.

Wrong

You are getting a slice takin out of your freedom of speech because some jerkoff might kill you

Just because YOU dont want to use it doesnt mean the right shouldnt be there

You ever see southpark mock any religion ? Its hilarious and it would be a huge loss to a lot of us if they saw it your way

He worries about it more because the consequences of criticizing Islam are more real.

Perhaps, but we don't get over that hump by submitting to the whims of mad men, and censoring ourselves to appease them. If we do that, they'll never evolve and learn to get the fuck over themselves.

If we had a bunch of Crusaders and inquisitors killing people at a whim over a deemed insult at Jesus, people would be terrified of criticizing that religion as well. But we don't, so even the people with a low threshold for fear, and aversion to violence, are willing to take their shot

There was a time though. They got over themselves. I can't say if jokes were partly responsible, but they did hit a point where they went "Ya know, maybe we should lighten up a bit, and not take everything in this book so literally. "

Muslims need to get there. A good first step would be to not sweat a fucking cartoon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back