Prophet Muhammad Cartoon Contest

surrealworlds

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
https://news.google.com/articles/CA...CoFCAowhgIwkDgw0O8B?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

Geert Wilders, an anti-Islam opposition leader in the Netherlands, has cancelled a competition for cartoons depicting Islam's Prophet Muhammad that sparked protests in Pakistan.

I personally side on the side of free speech over religious feelings getting hurt. Im curious how this would play out in the U.S. Has there been an incident like this in the U.S.? What say you sherbros? Respect the religion or respect the freedom of speech? Is this more offensive than the child rape jokes of Hollywood?

Pakistan's government had vowed to protest the contest at the United Nations.

It's hilarious to me that a government of a large UN member country would get in such a fuss over a drawing contest.

Not everyone has to bend the knee to your backwards religious beliefs.

About 10,000 supporters of the Tehreek-i-Labaik Pakistan party set out on the march on Wednesday, calling on the government to cut diplomatic ties with the Netherlands.

Oh no, whatever will they do without Pakistan? If they're so offended they can send back their financial aid from non-believers.

Last edited:
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEL3ytrm2cCLgHC17LcO3D7QqFAgEKgwIACoFCAowhgIwkDgw0O8B?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

I personally side on the side of free speech over religious feelings getting hurt. Im curious how this would play out in the U.S. Has there been an incident like this in the U.S.? What say you sherbros? Respect the religion or respect the freedom of speech? Is this more offensive than the child rape jokes of Hollywood?

It's stupid antagonistic bullshit.

You wanna go 'peesonal', walk up to somwinw someonw

I remember when this happened in Texas. It was the most obvious trap ever.

We don't have to respect that particular silly religion any more than we should any other .

it's a balance right now about what do we want more - freedom of speech or not being killed by lunatics.
yeah, it has come down to this.

How do we enter the contest?

It's apparently OK to screw with pretty much every symbol of Christianity so why should we care about someone doing the same with Islam?

I wouldn't provoke the muslims any more, I think that is immature and foolish.
A more respectful thing would be to not mock them and their beliefs.
A more sensible thing would be to ban them from entering your country.

I wouldn't provoke the muslims any more, I think that is immature and foolish.
A more respectful thing would be to not mock them and their beliefs.
A more sensible thing would be to ban them from entering your country.
Im starting to think of it as the perfect assimilation test. If they are truly American regardless of religion this should not bother them. At least not to the point of violence.

Some aspects of modern culture are so pathetic. There is a problem with Islamic extremism, and their idea is to have a troll competition? I feel like there are millions of overgrown man-children nowadays. Grow up, it's embarrassing.

If you want to protest extremism then do something that actually protests extremism. Don't just gather a bunch of losers to draw pictures of Muhammed. That has nothing to do with extremism, it's just shamefully juvenile.

Some aspects of modern culture are so pathetic. There is a problem with Islamic extremism, and their idea is to have a troll competition? I feel like there are millions of overgrown man-children nowadays. Grow up, it's embarrassing.

If you want to protest extremism then do something that actually protests extremism. Don't just gather a bunch of losers to draw pictures of Muhammed. That has nothing to do with extremism, it's just shamefully juvenile.

I agree its juvenile but at the same time freedom of speech says they have a right to draw and publish what they want right? Muslims have a right to be offended but not to be violent about it. At least thats how i see it.

There really isn't any reason for them to be offended anyway going by the tenets of the religion. The prohibition on banning the drawings is supposed to be about stopping the worship of images (idolatry/shirk). So non-muslims doing it would be meaningless in that context.
Much like the iconoclastic Christian denominations object to the Catholic use of images, relics etc.
Of course getting extremely religiously offended is supposedly a sign of piety amongst some knuckle draggers.

Agree. No I do not believe in legally censoring speech but why do people have to be such assholes in the first place? If something is sacred to a certain religion just leave it alone FFS.

I think is it very immature and childish rude and inconsiderate.

Muslims cry over everything. Biggest babies on the planet bar none. Islam has no place in the civilized world.

Agree. No I do not believe in legally censoring speech but why do people have to be such assholes in the first place? If something is sacred to a certain religion just leave it alone FFS.

I think is it very immature and childish rude and inconsiderate.
So you must have sided with the Christian baker in Colorad?

Back