Pro Wrestling Promo Tournament

Seriously anyone who puts that shit "shoot" promo from Scott Steiner about Ric Flair as an all time great promo needs to learn real history.
The whole promo was a blatant lie. Steiner knew it was a lie but he told it anyway. Austin was actually part of the Flair faction that got drubbed behind the scenes by the Hogan faction. The beginning of Austin getting fired was his refusal to job quick and clean to Hogan cronie Jim Duggan for the US title. he faked an injury during the match and told Duggan to pin him instead of making him look good.
Buddy Rogers? Rogers is considered the most hated man ever in professional wrestling. To say that Flair had none of Roger's class is actually a compliment. It was George Scott who ordered Ric Flair to do a Nature Boy gimmick. It's not Flair's fault that he was so good at being himself that he surpassed Rogers at the arrogant heel character and it lasted forever. He wasn't copying Rogers as Rogers but as an arrogant heel. There is more Ray Stevens in Flair's character than anyone else.
Steiner thinks Flair sabotaged hom on a match they had years earlier and didn't get a run at the WCW title becuase of it. Well it's hard to have a good match when the veteran wants to call the match and the arrogant near rookie wants to call the match instead.
Fuck Steiner and tell you the guys the truth, the reason why the Steiners name NEVER comes up by historians as an all tme great tag team is because that didn't rate as all time great team. Pure and simple.

I always hear the the Steiners come up as a great tag team. Don't know what "historians" you're referring to.

off the top of my head, teams that hear quite a bit about:-

Wild Samoans
Steiners
Road Warriors
British Bulldogs
Hart Foundation
Rock n Roll Express
Midnight Express
Rockers
The Crusher and Dick the Bruiser
Stan Hansen and Brody
Von Erichs
Freebirds
Arn and Tully
New Age Outlaws
Hardys
Dudleys
Blackjacks

In terms of promos, I never really understood Poppa Dump's words. He's pathetic in the ring with his stupid goatee and he wasn't well-liked by the people he worked with.

I always hear the the Steiners come up as a great tag team. Don't know what "historians" you're referring to.

I said all time great. Just for an example the Steiners are never up for the Observer Hall of Fame. No nominations. No discussion. No grass roots support. No nothing. That is just one example.
That's a fact. They were marginal workers and Scott Steiner had the nerve to call out Flair when he was a doing a Supestar Billy Graham ripoff gimmick. The guy is a bully who would back down when real tough guys like Dick Slater would work with him.
The guy is a lying bully.
How can anybody respect him?
He talks shit on Flair but it was Flair who got him into WCW. He was arrogant enough to believe that he was actually being seriously considered for a world title run when Turner didn't even know who he was. He is a pissant in the history of pro wrestling.

[YT]2OS9wZGb_3g[/YT]

[YT]KasnTlFiTmE[/YT]

[YT]-7AoX3LkxpA[/YT]

Besides the best promo of all time is Archie Gouldie's "No Jeff, your not going to wrestle anymore. But I am."
The only problem is that it doesn't stand up because of a line in the promo that meant nothing back then but means something different now.

We could do four 'regions' that were the 70s/80s/90s/00s-and-beyond.

[YT]b5DIjKEAnXQ[/YT]

[YT]4XBbdh1HHKc[/YT]

[YT]6pfkam4NOjY[/YT]

I said all time great. Just for an example the Steiners are never up for the Observer Hall of Fame. No nominations. No discussion. No grass roots support. No nothing. That is just one example.
That's a fact. They were marginal workers and Scott Steiner had the nerve to call out Flair when he was a doing a Supestar Billy Graham ripoff gimmick. The guy is a bully who would back down when real tough guys like Dick Slater would work with him.
He talks shit on Flair but it was Flair who got him into WCW. He was arrogant enough to believe that he was actually being seriously considered for a world title run when Turner didn't even know who he was. He is a pissant in the history of pro wrestling.

wrestling is full of great performers that are lousy human beings, Steiner and Flair are both pieces of shit. I don't really care as Ric Flair talks crap about everybody, including accusing Bret Hart of using the death of his brother for his own gain and categorically dismissing Mick Foley's career. Hypocritically, Flair's comments about the Harts are in his book, so he actually exploits Owen and Bret's tragedy for economic gain.

Then if you see those roundtable discussions all he does is bury people. I have no sympathy for the guy in this regard. Straight up piece of shit.

as to whether they are all time or just great, I consider their team one of the top 20 most talked about tag teams in history, taking into consideration all the teams that have come out over the years, their success in Japan, WCW and WWF, I think they have the chops. Whenever they were out, the fans were into it, woofing throughout the match. They were rather innovative in the ring, especially Scott, quite athletic and powerful, albeit very reckless. Whether or not the Observer gives them props doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:
as for all time promo guys, probably need to throw in a little Thunderbolt Patterson.

Arn wasn't bad himself, he coined the four horseman in the promo of his. Overshadowed by Flair, but HOF worthy in his own right.

I've been watching a lot of promos today, mostly Attitude Era stuff. Some of them are pretty hokey in hindsight, but some of them are getting me hyped right now - crowd reactions, JR/Lawler (JR especially) - it's pretty fun to watch them.

Not sure if this deserves to be in this tournament, but I love it. IIRC, this was one of the first times someone impersonatedUH Triple H-UH talkingUH in theUH middleUH of theUH ringUH

Steiner redeemed himself with the math promo though.

I've been watching a lot of promos today, mostly Attitude Era stuff. Some of them are pretty hokey in hindsight, but some of them are getting me hyped right now - crowd reactions, JR/Lawler (JR especially) - it's pretty fun to watch them.

Not sure if this deserves to be in this tournament, but I love it. IIRC, this was one of the first times someone impersonatedUH Triple H-UH talkingUH in theUH middleUH of theUH ringUH

"The thought of another DX night makes the Rock want to shove his finger down his throat and spew the people's vomit all over your candy asses!"
And I there, I doubt the attendance was only 30k.

Back