Pro Wrestling Promo Tournament

as for all time promo guys, probably need to throw in a little Thunderbolt Patterson.

Arn wasn't bad himself, he coined the four horseman in the promo of his. Overshadowed by Flair, but HOF worthy in his own right.

A lot of the 80's Horsemen were great promo guys. Arn, Tully, Ole, JJ Dillon, and Windham were all good to great promo guys when called upon. Even Luger was solid when he was playing the narcissistic heel (i.e. not really acting).

wrestling is full of great performers that are lousy human beings, Steiner and Flair are both pieces of shit. I don't really care as Ric Flair talks crap about everybody, including accusing Bret Hart of using the death of his brother for his own gain and categorically dismissing Mick Foley's career. Hypocritically, Flair's comments about the Harts are in his book, so he actually exploits Owen and Bret's tragedy for economic gain.

Then if you see those roundtable discussions all he does is bury people. I have no sympathy for the guy in this regard. Straight up piece of shit.

as to whether they are all time or just great, I consider their team one of the top 20 most talked about tag teams in history, taking into consideration all the teams that have come out over the years, their success in Japan, WCW and WWF, I think they have the chops. Whenever they were out, the fans were into it, woofing throughout the match. They were rather innovative in the ring, especially Scott, quite athletic and powerful, albeit very reckless. Whether or not the Observer gives them props doesn't matter to me.
If it doesn't matter then why did you ask me who these guys were? It isn't about sympathy. It is about a guy going on national tv and lying about the Steve Austin firing and blaming on Flair. Steiner knew he was lying and didn't give a shit.
The point is someone (now two guys) are nominating a shoot promo as a goat promo that has no shoot in it whatsoever. That's the point and if you don't see it you are blind. turning it into another I hate Flair schtick is egregious and unwarranted.
For God's sake he claimed the most hated, despised star in the history of the sport/business as a class act.
The Steiners are in the Tragos/Thesz hall and deserveredly so. But that hall is for pro wrestlers who acheived success in real wrestling.

as for all time promo guys, probably need to throw in a little Thunderbolt Patterson.

Arn wasn't bad himself, he coined the four horseman in the promo of his. Overshadowed by Flair, but HOF worthy in his own right.

Arn was awesome and I agree with everything you wrote in this post. That's why that period is my favorite period of all time.
Arn, Ole, Cornette, Dusty, Hawk, Tully, Ric, all trying to outdo the other. Amazing era.

"Intense pain is a wonderful thing, Gene Okerlund. Your life flashes before your eyes, things that are the most important to you become crystal clear. You start to begin to learn the meaning of life. Last week when they stuffed me in that ambulance and I looked across and I saw Flair, Sting, Woman, Bagwell and myself, I realized that we were people brought together not by philosophy, but by necessity. And I started to think, new world order, new world order, where have I heard that?
And I remembered in the Good Book it says, 'When the new world order is put into place it signals the beginning of the end of time.' Well, WCW is our world, it's where we live and breathe. And if you want to destroy it, Hogan and The Outsiders, you've already made a mistake that jumps off the page. If you're gonna take a baseball bat to a Horseman, finish the job. Because there's one rule of gang fighting. See, we are the original gang and we're the most vicious in all of professional wrestling history. They send one of yours to the hospital, you send two of theirs to the morgue."

If it doesn't matter then why did you ask me who these guys were? It isn't about sympathy. It is about a guy going on national tv and lying about the Steve Austin firing and blaming on Flair. Steiner knew he was lying and didn't give a shit.
The point is someone (now two guys) are nominating a shoot promo as a goat promo that has no shoot in it whatsoever. That's the point and if you don't see it you are blind. turning it into another I hate Flair schtick is egregious and unwarranted.
For God's sake he claimed the most hated, despised star in the history of the sport/business as a class act.
The Steiners are in the Tragos/Thesz hall and deserveredly so. But that hall is for pro wrestlers who acheived success in real wrestling.

it didn't matter, and I wanted to know who the "historians" are because you were relying on it as an authority of sorts. I was expecting more than a glorified dirtsheet.

"shoot" promos are only effective if they work the audience, not whether they are true and if it pisses off the guy you really hate, then it's a bonus. In this case, it's so patently false, I wonder if it was a sick sense of humour, an inside joke for the boys in the back that also disliked Flair. It seemed it worked some, so it was effective. That said, I don't hold shoot promos w/ any high regard, it's the cheap way out and not real artistry, just a rant, it's Russo crap.

btw, I hesitate to endorse a "shoot" promo as a true shoot because if it was a legit shoot it probably wouldn't air - Punk (worked), Heyman's (worked, except for the Sabu one), Styles (worked). It's cheap, it's meh, but fans get a kick out of it so whatever works.

"Intense pain is a wonderful thing, Gene Okerlund. Your life flashes before your eyes, things that are the most important to you become crystal clear. You start to begin to learn the meaning of life. Last week when they stuffed me in that ambulance and I looked across and I saw Flair, Sting, Woman, Bagwell and myself, I realized that we were people brought together not by philosophy, but by necessity. And I started to think, new world order, new world order, where have I heard that?
And I remembered in the Good Book it says, 'When the new world order is put into place it signals the beginning of the end of time.' Well, WCW is our world, it's where we live and breathe. And if you want to destroy it, Hogan and The Outsiders, you've already made a mistake that jumps off the page. If you're gonna take a baseball bat to a Horseman, finish the job. Because there's one rule of gang fighting. See, we are the original gang and we're the most vicious in all of professional wrestling history. They send one of yours to the hospital, you send two of theirs to the morgue."

You REALLY need to improve your Google game.

[YT]_kpEjrKqf3s[/YT]

it didn't matter, and I wanted to know who the "historians" are because you were relying on it as an authority of sorts. I was expecting more than a glorified dirtsheet.

"shoot" promos are only effective if they work the audience, not whether they are true and if it pisses off the guy you really hate, then it's a bonus. In this case, it's so patently false, I wonder if it was a sick sense of humour, an inside joke for the boys in the back that also disliked Flair. It seemed it worked some, so it was effective. That said, I don't hold shoot promos w/ any high regard, it's the cheap way out and not real artistry, just a rant, it's Russo crap.

btw, I hesitate to endorse a "shoot" promo as a true shoot because if it was a legit shoot it probably wouldn't air - Punk (worked), Heyman's (worked, except for the Sabu one), Styles (worked). It's cheap, it's meh, but fans get a kick out of it so whatever works.
I said it was one example.
Oliver, Kenyon, Farmer.
The Observer Hall is considered one of the leading Hall of Fame's for wrestling. It's voters are comprised of wrestlers, historians and reporters. They are not in the PWHF which is also comprised of the same membership type that the Observer has.
The only reason I threw in the Steiner's not being a goat tag is that everybody here threw their panties in the garbage can when Joey Styles didn''t rate them in his greatest list.
I think it's cute that you are trying to make me look bad. You should stick to moderating the OT where the pickings are easier.

Damn Flo, Steiner's not in the Hall??? I'm one of the biggest NWA/WCW guys that posts in these threads. When you think 80s/90s NWA/WCW tag teams you think Road Warriors, Steiners, Midnights, Rock n Roll Express and Arn/Tully. All of them deserve Hall status.

(I think Freebirds in WCCW, never was a fan of the WCW version)

Damn Flo, Steiner's not in the Hall??? I'm one of the biggest NWA/WCW guys that posts in these threads. When you think 80s/90s NWA/WCW tag teams you think Road Warriors, Steiners, Midnights, Rock n Roll Express and Arn/Tully. All of them deserve Hall status.

(I think Freebirds in WCCW, never was a fan of the WCW version)

Yeah, I have them up there as modern-era greats. All-time? Maybe not, but definitely in the national promotion era. That's OT though.

For me and growing up. Austin 316 speech..

Austin 316
Shane announcing he bought WCW
Dusty Hard Times
Arn My Spot
Nash rebuttal to My Spot
DX as the Nation
DX as Vince and Shane
Bret blowing up on Raw (w/ Sid, Taker and Austin)
Rock/Cena build had several
Russo shoot on Hogan
Douglas crapping on the NWA title, start of ECW
Medusa crapping on the WWF Womans Title
Edge/Lita Live Sex Celebration
Punk Pipebomb

Last edited:
[YT]J6kNcoM1qOQ[/YT]

JC's facial expressions and Arn's promo just make this awesome

[YT]TfCpjgcnLfs[/YT]

Buddy Landel from the heart. Always really liked this one

Last edited:
I said it was one example.
Oliver, Kenyon, Farmer.
The Observer Hall is considered one of the leading Hall of Fame's for wrestling. It's voters are comprised of wrestlers, historians and reporters. They are not in the PWHF which is also comprised of the same membership type that the Observer has.
The only reason I threw in the Steiner's not being a goat tag is that everybody here threw their panties in the garbage can when Joey Styles didn''t rate them in his greatest list.
I think it's cute that you are trying to make me look bad. You should stick to moderating the OT where the pickings are easier.

I think it's cute that you're a guy in your late 40's that talks like this on the internet. It's not a contest to me, I'm just talking wrestling.

these guys you are putting up as authorities on the subject, are just fans, nothing more. If you want to say that the Steiners aren't a great tag team, so be it, but don't try and lord an 'expert opinion' on me when they're not even experts and say that because a bunch of old nerds say x it must be so.

I wish i could find the Rock NoD promo with "Die Rocky Die". Thats a good one

I think it's cute that you're a guy in your late 40's that talks like this on the internet. It's not a contest to me, I'm just talking wrestling.

these guys you are putting up as authorities on the subject, are just fans, nothing more. If you want to say that the Steiners aren't a great tag team, so be it, but don't try and lord an 'expert opinion' on me when they're not even experts and say that because a bunch of old nerds say x it must be so.

You have no idea who these guys are that I mentioned. Alright.
I said , more than once, all time great. They are not one of the goats. You keep on lying about what I am saying. You want to be a prick, go ahead and be a prick. I can be a prick too.
You asked me who these guys were and I said the voters of Halls of Fames. Wrestlers. Historians. Reporters. Authors.
You are wrong on this one. No shame.

Last edited:
You have no idea who these guys are that I mentioned. Alright.
I said , more than once, all time great. They are not one of the goats. You keep on lying about what I am saying. You want to be a prick, go ahead and be a prick. I can be a prick too.
You asked me who these guys were and I said the voters of Halls of Fames. Wrestlers. Historians. Reporters. Authors.
You are wrong on this one. No shame.

you run your mouth about the OT, liar this and prick that, and then you accuse me of being the prick. I'm not one of your little waitresses paid to deal with your whiny drama.

long story short - you give these opinions weight and try to use them to back your argument, I give them little weight and prefer to make up my own mind. You think they're not all time, I think they are. That's the end of it.

I can see that you are replying to this thread, and I can read your edit about "being a man", etc. I think you're a little emotionally rattled and angry on this one, I'm not. Probably best you just log off and enjoy the fights.

Back