Pro Wrestling Promo Tournament

hollywood bob holly. bad boy barry horowitz. hah.

I remember seeing a few good ones from JCP a few years back. It's pretty cool having a moment captured in time rather than a retrospective view. You either get to relive the moment or see it through the eyes of those who experienced back then.

Not really a promo, but this always cracks me up.

@8:00

When he comes back and stomps that dude at the end, "Now whos the boss"? LMFAO

I can see that you are replying to this thread, and I can read your edit about "being a man", etc. I think you're a little emotionally rattled and angry on this one, I'm not. Probably best you just log off and enjoy the fights.

No not really angry. You asked for references and I provided it. You called the references old nerds. Some people do rate the Steiners high and they get pissed when they are not up for consideration as a GOAT team.
The point was though, from the beginning, was that the shoot promo referenced here as an all time goat promo was full of lies. And yes it was a shoot. A real one.
Steiner says it so does Flair and everyone in between.
Hacksaw Jim Duggan gave an interview that 100% debunked what Steiner said. He said Austin was part of the losing Flair clique and that he himself was in the Hogan clique. The problems that Austin had was that he was not part of the Bischoff/Hogan clique.
You don't want to budge, cool. Really it is cool. I gave you props on the Thunderbolt Patterson and Arn post.
I don't disagree with you having an opinion that Steiner's are a goat team. My problem is that you aked who these guys were and I told you.
No big deal. Unless of course you ever, EVER disagree with me again.
In all seriousness these halls are legit compromised of wrestlers, reporters, authors and historians. But yeah, you are right, just because the Academy says so and so is the best actor and so and so movie is the best picture doesn't mean you have to agree and in a lot of cases you wonder how they can like some of thoise movies and actors.

I'll let it die there, give you the equivalent of a handshake. got no problem with you.

I see guys like Bill Apter and Meltzer ('ie old nerds) as life long fans that have parlayed it into business. I have no problem with them, but I don't hold them up either. I've done journalism irl, so I don't hold a 'wrestling journalists' opinions up either. Journalists are trained in writing and information gathering skills and aren't experts in anything, including journalism.

Just because a person has seen a lot of wrestling doesn't necessarily mean they have the analytic skills to assess it. For example, if you watch basketball, Skip Bayless has been covering the LA beat for about 30 years as a journalist. He knows nothing about basketball, not an expert opinion, he can't look at a play and figure out what happened or how offenses and defenses truly work. He should be able to, considering he played high school basketball, but he clearly can't. Sure he could tell you who scored how many points 20 years ago and give some decent anecdotes, but he can't break it down and truly compare and contrast talent and skill and impact on the court. It's all stats with him and fanboyisms - a mark. I see Apter and Meltzer as less obnoxious Skip Baylesses

How you would determine who is HOF worthy would depend on the criteria used. I think my criteria would differ from a lot of people's. I wouldn't place as much emphasis on drawing capacity as I would all around talent, skill and memorable moments. If I was starting a HOF for acting I wouldn't put Keanu Reeves ahead of Daniel Day Lewis, even though he drew more money. So, I don't really hold my opinion over anyone else and take myself that seriously, nor unconditionally accept another's as gospel. People give their opinions, I listen and have a chat about it, it doesn't go further than that.

Last edited:
I'll let it die there, give you the equivalent of a handshake. got no problem with you.

I see guys like Bill Apter and Meltzer as life long fans that have parlayed it into business. I have no problem with them, but I don't hold them up either. I've done journalism irl, so I don't hold a 'wrestling journalists' opinions up either. Journalists are trained in different writing and information gathering skills and aren't experts in anything, including journalism.

Just because a person has seen a lot of wrestling doesn't necessarily mean they have the analytic skills to assess it. For example, if you watch basketball, Skip Bayless has been covering the LA beat for about 30 years as a journalist. He knows nothing about basketball, not an expert opinion, he can't look at a play and figure out what happened or how offenses and defenses truly work. He should be able to, considering he played high school basketball, but he clearly can't. Sure he could tell you how scored how many points 20 years ago and give some decent anecdotes, but he can't break it down and truly compare and contrast.

How you would determine who is HOF worthy would depend on the criteria used. I think my criteria would differ from a lot of people's. I wouldn't place as much emphasis on drawing capacity as I would all around talent, skill and memorable moments. If I was starting a HOF for acting I wouldn't put Keanu Reeves ahead of Daniel Day Lewis, even though he drew more money. So, I don't really hold my opinion over anyone else and take myself that seriously, nor unconditionally accept another's as gospel. People give their opinions, I listen and have a chat about it, it doesn't go further than that.
Agreed.
Throwing in Skip Bayless analogy is something that ANYONE would agree puts this to rest.
Skip Bayless. Fuck.

going back to what you were saying about not using drawing power......... I really think that since it became the brand (WWF/WWE) and not the individual that drawing power has decreased immensely as a criteria and merch sales hold a lot of weight. Everybody gets butthurt when the Hardy's are listed as a top ten tag on WWE lists but at one time that sold more merchandise than anyomne save Austin and The Rock.
Back in the 30's when Londos was drawing 20k an appearance without tv or social media, and with no real brand then you have a different story.
The hardest part of determining a goat for anything is setting the criteria, sticking to that criteria while trying to control your personal preference and then era comparison.

tumblr_lmputme3co1qa6q7k_large.png

Anyway here is what Jim Duggan said about Austin in WCW I believe this interview is with Wade Keller if memory serves:

The deal with Austin, yeah, we had a little heat over that," he said. "The match was supposed to go 12, 15 minutes. Austin wasn't happy about doing the job so he went down with a bogus knee injury and it kind of took away from me and everything... He said, 'I blew my knee out, I blew my knee out. Cover me, cover me.' I did the cover and got the 1-2-3. That's, as I point out in the book, there was a change in wrestlers' attitude then. It wasn't about passing the torch and what can you do for the company, it was more of a me type of time where you wanted to make sure what you did didn't hurt your chances of going somewhere else rather than the old school deal where, 'Hey, I'm passing the torch to someone else.'"

He said part of the issue was the politics behind the scenes. At the time in WCW, Austin was perceived to be part of a fading political power-base led by Ric Flair, and Duggan being booked to beat Austin was part of Hulk Hogan exerting his power and helping his friends, such as Duggan.
"Yeah, there was definitely two camps at WCW," he said. "There was the Hulk Hogan camp that I was proud to be part of, and of course the Ric Flair.

Why in God's name would Austin have been passing the torch to Duggan in that situation?

I didn't watch the Steiner promo in question, and I don't think I've ever seen it, but why does it matter if it was "lies" in terms of whether it was a good promo? I mean most fans, especially at that time, wouldn't know if something was a shoot anyway, right? Did the fans react to his promo?

I guess I'll take a few minutes and watch it. Maybe answer all my own questions.

Also, re: your AV: Boobies!

Back