Prime Mirko Cop vs Lyoto Machida

Lyoto knocks him out cold with a flurry that begins with a clean straight left

With that karate stance mirko would make him tap to leg kicks in one round.
He could win this match in any way he wanted.

Btw is this thread prime mirko vs todays machida?

Mirko by first mma murderer

Cro Cop would destroy Machida rather easily. He's way too big, quick and technically sound in the standup for Machida to really do anything.

Cro Cop is a really bad match up for Machida. He couldn't deal with Shoguns kicks. Cro Cop is better and bigger. Also Cro Cops weakness as a striker was grapplers who threatened takedowns. There is zero threat there with Machida. This is a pure kickboxing match and Cro Cop is too good and big and patient for Machida.

Prime Cro Cops liver kick would fold Machida in half

Hell even today’s version of Mirko mauls Machida with ease.

Machida won a split decision against 43 year-old Hendo. Machida lost to Shogun, Rampage, Phil Davis, and others in his prime, more or less.

He has a good win over Rashad and he beat Moose in a fight I don't remember watching at all, but Machida is perhaps the most overrated fighter in UFC history. He was outstruck by Chris Weidman and people think he could beat Cro Cop?

Cro Cop no question

Machida won a split decision against 43 year-old Hendo. Machida lost to Shogun, Rampage, Phil Davis, and others in his prime, more or less.

He has a good win over Rashad and he beat Moose in a fight I don't remember watching at all, but Machida is perhaps the most overrated fighter in UFC history. He was outstruck by Chris Weidman and people think he could beat Cro Cop?

I definitely agree he is among the most overrated. Along with Mousasi.

This is not even a fair fight, strange 'what if'

I'm right though aren't I? your one of the standard UFC hype trolls who likely lost his cool and got himself banned then had to sign up with a new account.

As far as Crocop's chin goes that Randleman fight is hardly proof its glass, plum left hook and then hulk smash GnP.

I mean yeah Mirko wasn't on the same level of chin as say Nog but it was hardly glass and most importantly in his prime his defence was good enough that he didn't get hit clean very often. The older physically shot Mirko with limited mobility during his second UFC run became far easier to hit.

A weak chin for me would be someone like Reem who folds when and goes into his shell when someone lands well on him.

Rumble would be a test for anyone in MMA history standing, the difference is Mirko didn't fold like a house of cards if someone took him down.

Cro Cop did have a below average chin. Physically and also mentally as he'd usually panic or lose heart in some way when he got hit. He liked to dish it out but couldn't take it. He was losing the striking against Fedor not because Fedor was better technically, but because his wild swings shook CC up and whatever did land made him back off(not to mention the takedown threats but that's besides the point).

Prime Cro Cop lost to worse fighters than that, in worse fashion. Gonzaga agrees with that.

Cro Cop did have a below average chin. Physically and also mentally as he'd usually panic or lose heart in some way when he got hit. He liked to dish it out but couldn't take it. He was losing the striking against Fedor not because Fedor was better technically, but because his wild swings shook CC up and whatever did land made him back off(not to mention the takedown threats but that's besides the point).

You could say perhaps he was below average for the Pride HW division but that was an era of truly great chins with Hunt, Fujita, Nog and to a lesser degree Barnett and Herring. In terms of HW all time I wouldn't say he's really that bad at all, guys like Mir and Reem are clearly worse.

As far as Fedor/Crocop goes some of what Fedor was throwing was I'd agree designed to intimidate and close the distance not actually to land but really what made it effective was how good his defence was. A lot of people seem to miss the defence he shows in that fight, the blocked body kicks are more obvious I spose but he slips Mirko's left straight so many times in those opening few mins. If just wanton aggression was enough to get the best of Mirko then Wanderlei would have had more success in the second fight, at it is Mirko dominated him and he ran right into a left straight(that closed his eye and set up the finish) and several body kicks. Turn it around as well though and Mirko himself showed very good defence in that fight when pushed up against the ropes avoiding taking too much punishment. If he'd just turtled then it would have been Goodridge mk 2 asskicking.

Machida doesn't have the ability to apply the pressure or the natural heavyweight power to take advantage of any hole in cro cop's game

Back