• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Prime Fedor was what Cain wished to be

He was never the most skilled by a longshot. He always had weak guard and was unskilled brawling striker relying on speed and punching power. Arona (got robbed), Werdum, Big Foor, Bader easily outgrappled him and even Hendo and Rodgers reversed him on the ground. Crocop, Bigfoot, Bader were easily evading and countering his flailing haymakers. Injured Maldonado countered and almost finished him. Bader countered his hooks and overhand punches and oneshotted him with a jab. Prime Fedor would have better chin but wouldn't be able to beat Bader either. Prime Fedor wouldn't be top 10 in modern UFC with this kind of technique. Even, Fujita wobbled Fedor after he started throwing haymakers. He always had bad defense.

It's styles. He got a more open style. Crocop is a kickboxing legend and Fedor did just fine with him, same with Hunt.

Don't talk bout the Bader fight. Might as well talk about how Bj Penn lost to Guida. And Bj isn't even the age of Fedor.

He was never the most skilled by a longshot. He always had weak guard and was unskilled brawling striker relying on speed and punching power. Arona (got robbed), Werdum, Big Foor, Bader easily outgrappled him and even Hendo and Rodgers reversed him on the ground. Crocop, Bigfoot, Bader were easily evading and countering his flailing haymakers. Injured Maldonado countered and almost finished him. Bader countered his hooks and overhand punches and oneshotted him with a jab. Prime Fedor would have better chin but wouldn't be able to beat Bader either. Prime Fedor wouldn't be top 10 in modern UFC with this kind of technique. Even, Fujita wobbled Fedor after he started throwing haymakers. He always had bad defense.

Its amazing really that utter drivel like this still gets posted, as mentioned go watch the Crocop fight, a fight against someone who is IMHO easily in the top 5 counter fighters in MMA history at his peak and see how much Mirko is able to land on him. Fedor during his prime had the lowest strikes taken per min of any fighter(with a significant record anyway) in MMA history dispite being a very aggressive striker.

I think the issue is that a lot of MMA fans have basically been sold the idea that a "technical striker" is a stiff upright fighter who pumps a jab because thats what we tend to see most often, Fedor could use a jab if he needed to(the 3rd Nog fight he lands plenty of them) but that he didnt generally do so doesnt mean he was a "brawler". His timing, his movement, etc was I think some of the best we've ever seen in MMA during his prime.

I don't think "chin" is the main issue, he showed good recovery against Fujita I spose(a blind punch from someone I think he underestimated) but against besides that Fedor during his prime was taking VERY few power shots. The difference is that by the time of his comeback he was much older, slower and less technical, that Fedor shows you what would have happened in his prime if he'd been "just a brawler" unless you really think Maldanado(and Fedor actually showed good chin their as well) is a better counter fighter than Mirko.

Its a bit ironic saying Fedor has a "bad guard" considering most modern fighters have pretty much a non existent offensive guard. Really Fedor was actually a preview of the latter style of fighter who mostly looked to escape from his back rather than attack, the difference being he didnt just go that via giving up his back or wall walking like modern fighters often tend to do, he could also pull of great sweeps.

22-Fedor-Emelianenko-vs-Antnio-Rodrigo-Nogueira.gif

Its amazing really that utter drivel like this still gets posted, as mentioned go watch the Crocop fight, a fight against someone who is IMHO easily in the top 5 counter fighters in MMA history at his peak and see how much Mirko is able to land on him. Fedor during his prime had the lowest strikes taken per min of any fighter(with a significant record anyway) in MMA history.

I think the issue is that a lot of MMA fans have basically been sold the idea that a "technical striker" is a stiff upright fighter who pumps a jab because thats what we tend to see most often, Fedor could use a jab if he needed to(the 3rd Nog fight he lands plenty of them) but that he didnt generally do so doesnt mean he was a "brawler". His timing, his movement, etc was I think some of the best we've ever seen in MMA during his prime.

I don't think "chin" is the main issue, he showed good recovery against Fujita I spose(a blind punch from someone I think he underestimated) but against besides that Fedor during his prime was taking VERY few power shots. The difference is that by the time of his comeback he was much older, slower and less technical, that Fedor shows you what would have happened in his prime if he'd been "just a brawler" unless you really think Maldanado(and Fedor actually showed good chin their as well) is a better counter fighter than Mirko.

Its a bit ironic saying Fedor has a "bad guard" considering most modern fighters have pretty much a non existent offensive guard. Really Fedor was actually a preview of the latter style of fighter who mostly looked to escape from his back rather than attack, the difference being he didnt just go that via giving up his back or wall walking like modern fighters often tend to do, he could also pull of great sweeps.

You just fed that troll a 5 course Michelin star dinner.

Prime cain got beaten by ngannou who got beaten by derrick lewis, who is ya know, derrick lewis.

Its amazing really that utter drivel like this still gets posted, as mentioned go watch the Crocop fight, a fight against someone who is IMHO easily in the top 5 counter fighters in MMA history at his peak and see how much Mirko is able to land on him. Fedor during his prime had the lowest strikes taken per min of any fighter(with a significant record anyway) in MMA history dispite being a very aggressive striker.

Fedor didn't have much offence in guard either aside a basic armbar. Fedor got almost submitted by a green Mark Hunt with barely any MMA training. He had good mount reversals in prime but his guard was weak (makes sense since guard is not well developed in Sambo and Judo). His mount reversals also didn't work on skilled and strong opponents (not unskilled giants like Hongman Choi and he coudn't reverse Choi either) like Big Foot who beat up Fedor like a defenseless child and easily slipped Fedor's plodding haymakers despite being slow himself. Fedor was never very skilled compared to modern MMA fighters and was just carried by natural speed and athleticism against unskilled and one dimensional fighters. The only things he had better than average modern heavyweights are ko power and throws since majority of MMA fighters don't train throws aside basic leg takedowns and maybe some trips/leg sweeps. Cro Cop was easily outstriking Fedor and countering his hooks with jab, until he got gassed by Fedor's lay and prey. Also, Crocop was nowhere the level of modern UFC strikers. Fedor in prime didn't take many hits because he was able to quickly to overwhelm his opponents with his speed and strong haymakers but modern fighters are more skilled and athletic so would be able to dodge and counter them. Fedor's striking and ground game had huge holes.

Last edited:
Fedor got almost submitted by a green Mark Hunt with barely any MMA training. He had good mount reversals in prime but his guard was weak (makes sense since guard is not well developed in Sambo). His mount reversals also didn't work on skilled and strong opponents (not unskilled giants like Hongman Choi) like Big Foot who beat up Fedor like a defenseless child and easily slipped Fedor's plodding haymakers despite being slow himself. Fedor was never very skilled compared to modern MMA fighters and was just carried by natural speed and athleticism against unskilled and one dimensional opponents. The only things he had better than average modern heavyweights are ko power and throws since majority of MMA fighters don't train throws aside basic leg takedowns and maybe some trips/leg sweeps. His striking and ground game had huge holes.

Hunt wasnt green by that poiint he'd been in MMA for over 3 years but he was not close with those sub atempts, you need distance to complete that sub and the instant he tried to create that Fedor escaped it. Look at Hunt's fight with Werdum and you can see that Hunt staying in top position very close is hard to shift.

I just showed you his reverse on Big Nog, I'm guessing he was "unskilled" though compared to say the level of grappling talent we see from guys like Derrick Lewis in the modern era? if you seriously believe that when Dana White has emptied your cranium as well as your pockets.

He did actually have significant threat from his back in terms of both reversals and armbars, he didnt generally look to play an extended guard game from his back which again almost nobody does today either so its pretty ironic you thinking he's been "out evolved".

By the time he started losing his grappling had definitely declined, indeed I think that was really the main reason for his worse run and you saw he lost in Sambo as well awhile before that for the first time in years. His striking was dropping off a little by the time he lost but all of the defeats really are about grappling and no its not that he was suddenly fighting better opponents, Werdum is great of course but the reality is he couldnt sub Nog or Sergei in Pride when he was already a BJJ and ADCC champ.

Prime Fedor vs Prime Cain is one of the best fantasy matchups you can come up with

If I'm being honest, I think it's a bad matchup for Cain, he's kinda chinny. I mean Check Kongo dropped him like 3 times. Fedor just needs to hit the mark once and with his speed, I think it's pretty likely.

Hunt wasnt green by that poiint he'd been in MMA for over 3 years but he was not close with those sub atempts, you need distance to complete that sub and the instant he tried to create that Fedor escaped it. Look at Hunt's fight with Werdum and you can see that Hunt staying in top position very close is hard to shift.

I just showed you his reverse on Big Nog, I'm guessing he was "unskilled" though compared to say the level of grappling talent we see from guys like Derrick Lewis in the modern era? if you seriously believe that when Dana White has emptied your cranium as well as your pockets.

He did actually have significant threat from his back in terms of both reversals and armbars, he didnt generally look to play an extended guard game from his back which again almost nobody does today either so its pretty ironic you thinking he's been "out evolved".

By the time he started losing his grappling had definitely declined, indeed I think that was really the main reason for his worse run and you saw he lost in Sambo as well awhile before that for the first time in years. His striking was dropping off a little by the time he lost but all of the defeats really are about grappling and no its not that he was suddenly fighting better opponents, Werdum is great of course but the reality is he couldnt sub Nog or Sergei in Pride when he was already a BJJ and ADCC champ.

Nog was one dimensional ground grappler and not very skilled overall. That's why he was taking heavy damage in almost every fight even when he won. He was basically far worse in every regard than Werdum except maybe chin in his prime. His grappling and striking declined but he was never a skilled technical striker to begin with. He just had fast and strong haymakers and that's it. His ground grappling was never elite either (Arona who was physically weaker than him outgrappled Fedor but was robbed) and worked primarily on unskilled and/or weaker opponents.

Nog was one dimensional ground grappler and not very skilled overall. That's why he was taking heavy damage in almost every fight even when he won. He was basically far worse in every regard than Werdum except maybe chin in his prime. His grappling and striking declined but he was never a skilled technical striker to begin with. He just had fast and strong haymakers and that's it. His ground grappling was never elite either (Arona who was physically weaker than him outgrappled Fedor but was robbed) and worked primarily on unskilled and/or weaker opponents.

For one thing its grappling were talking about so claiming Nog was "just a grappler" is no comeback to that at all for another no he obviously wasnt, indeed his first fight with Werdum is obvious evidence of that were he boxed his ears off. Indeed generally the idea that Nog "always took a beating" is just more dishonest UFC spiel to empty the minds and the pockets of the unwary, a way to claim that the badly declined Nog they were selling latter in his career was anywere close to his peak. The reality is that actually during Nogs peak years he only took big punishment from a handful of fighters, Fedor, Crocop and Sapp, against someone like say Sergei who utterly destoryed Rizzo he was well able to hold his own standing, same with Semmy, Herring(first two times), etc.

Again I'm dobuting you've actually watched much of this era, you just seem to be burping up the same simplistic normal UFC brand fanboy clichés for the millionth time thinking your dropping truthbombs on us.

Last edited:
Cain had much better striking and would likely ko prime Fedor, albeit Fedor may have been able to ko him too.

Incorrect, Cain's striking was always mediocre. He was knocked out my Junior Dos Santos in his prime. Fedor stood toe to toe with Crocop.

This is incorrect. You should actually watch Nog's fights instead of repeating the dribble you read on here.

This is incorrect. You should actually watch Nog's fights instead of repeating the dribble you read on here.

I get the feeling he's probably one of the main spreaders of such drivel on here via numerous different accounts. 2016 join date, under 200 posts and yet he's on here raging about Fedor?

<LikeReally5>

Incorrect, Cain's striking was always mediocre. He was knocked out my Junior Dos Santos in his prime. Fedor stood toe to toe with Crocop.

Crocop was never on level of top UFC strikers but he easily outstruck Fedor's windmill punches until he gassed.

Nog was a poor man's Werdum (I mean, later improved Werdum) carried on by chin and Crocop was poor man's JDS.

Fedor actually has pretty low level striking technique. More of a brawler type of style, but that also works for him. Though I do think a Fedor with straight sharp punches instead of those looping ones, would have made him even more dangerous, and help with his striking defense. Fedor had some of the fastest hands at HW. But it would be hard to see how Fedor would do with someone like Ngannou or Gane with their size. Fedor, though thick, was a pretty short HW. Fedor should have been at LHW with a proper diet.

Powerful, explosive and unstoppable. I don't think anyone can beat prime fedor. He was so well rounded that no matter where the fight went he was dominating. The best striking and ground game in HW history. Even his wrestling was insane in his prime. He ragdolled a prime cro cop which blocked 7 out of 7 takedowns from MARK COLEMAN. Also prime Big Nog domianted Werdum on the ground, while fedor completely destroyed Nog on the ground.

Listen up bruh, Prime Fedor is in a league of his own, ain't no way you can compare him to Cain Velasquez. That dude was a monster, but he ain't got nothin' on Fedor. That dude was a complete fighter, he had striking skills that'll make your jaw drop, and his grappling game was on point. Don't even get me started on his wrestling, he was ragdollin' some of the best in the game like Cro Cop, who had Mark Coleman with 7 blocked takedowns, but Fedor still made him his b*tch.

And let's not forget, Fedor's ground and pound was crazy too. The way he dismantled Nogueira, that was a thing of beauty. So yeah, you can't compare Cain to Fedor, he's in a class of his own.

Cain's last meaningful fight was 10 years ago
Fedor 14 years

You guys live terribly in the past

Back