Prestigious public high school stages walkout to protest that school is 50% white

Lowering the bar, instead of raising it seems look a good idea. The leaders or tomorrow.

If it's a 'public' school, shouldn't anyone inside it's area be allowed?

Seems to me that conservatives only care about free speech when it suits them judging by this thread.

Nobody is saying they shouldn't have free speech or free assembly. They are saying the kids are using this right for something asinine. You know this so you try to misdirect the conversation and it's not subtle.

I accept your concession.

What concession you idiot. I'm laughing at you because your argument is terrible and you think it's a good one. Africa is a god awful place to live, the rate of death from murder and disease is staggering compared to the developed world.. and the suicide rate is no better and often times worse than the developed world. Turns out living in stressful hell holes isn't good for your mental health especially when the countries have about zero priority to giving a shit about mental health issues.

https://www.dw.com/en/africa-battles-high-rates-of-suicide-depression/a-49114146

Africa battles high rates of suicide, depression

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), however, Kenya is not the only African country struggling with high rates of suicide. In Nigeria or Ivory Coast, the figures are even higher than in most European countries, the US or China, with more than 15 suicides per 100,000 inhabitants per year.

And it's probably even worse than that, the data collection in this countries is not close to comparable to developed nations.

...Japan?

I was being hyperbolic snowflake, but the point remains.

These countries are nothing compared to America, even Japan.

Japan is nothing without the American global marketplace and was literally nothing after we destroyed and would have been nothing today if we didn't rebuild it.

It's funny how absolutely zero countries in South America, Africa, and Asia ever talk about the need for diversity. It's always white liberals in white majority countries calling for diversity.

Could you imagine the Japanese ever saying, "Hey guys you know what we need more of in Japan? Less Japanese people"
Diversity is definitely a talking point in Brazil and for much the same reasons as in the US; legacy of chattel slavery and of discrimination against the descendants of slaves and indigenous people. Other Latin American countries also have their own discourses on diversity that are informed by their particular colonial history.

In Africa the diversity question is more likely to be about tribal affiliation than race in the way its understood in New World countries such as Brazil or America.

I was being hyperbolic snowflake, but the point remains.

These countries are nothing compared to America, even Japan.

Japan is nothing without the American global marketplace and was literally nothing after we destroyed and would have been nothing today if we didn't rebuild it.

Don't be so harsh. I'm a tender snowflake and I will melt.

I'd love it if you could tell me which US state is richer than Japan, though. Which was your original point; I happen to agree with your other points about Japan, but that's a different conversation, after all.

What concession you idiot. I'm laughing at you because your argument is terrible and you think it's a good one. Africa is a god awful place to live, the rate of death from murder and disease is staggering compared to the developed world.. and the suicide rate is no better and often times worse than the developed world. Turns out living in stressful hell holes isn't good for your mental health especially when the countries have about zero priority to giving a shit about mental health issues.

https://www.dw.com/en/africa-battles-high-rates-of-suicide-depression/a-49114146

Africa battles high rates of suicide, depression

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), however, Kenya is not the only African country struggling with high rates of suicide. In Nigeria or Ivory Coast, the figures are even higher than in most European countries, the US or China, with more than 15 suicides per 100,000 inhabitants per year.

And it's probably even worse than that, the data collection in this countries is not close to comparable to developed nations.
So all of Africa is a horrible place to live, all 4 corners, every country?

My point was, even though a lot of Africa is poor, much of it is war torn and a lot of people are malnourished their level of happiness on average is no less than ours.

Your examples state 2 or 3 countries in Africa have slightly higher suicide rates than most European countries or America.

Given the standard of living and level of poverty in much of Africa, their suicide rates should be staggeringly higher than the United States and the fact is, they're not.

Nobody is saying they shouldn't have free speech or free assembly. They are saying the kids are using this right for something asinine. You know this so you try to misdirect the conversation and it's not subtle.

Just because you don't agree doesn't make it asinine.

Not trying to deflect anything, just pointing out the obvious bias.

Don't be so harsh. I'm a tender snowflake and I will melt.

I'd love it if you could tell me which US state is richer than Japan, though. Which was your original point; I happen to agree with your other points about Japan, but that's a different conversation, after all.

Do you know what hyperbole means?

Find the suicide rate throughout Africa then check it against the suicide rate of California and get back to me.
That doesn’t work the way you think
Maslows hierarchy of needs comes into play

So all of Africa is a horrible place to live, all 4 corners, every country?

My point was, even though a lot of Africa is poor, much of it is war torn and a lot of people are malnourished their level of happiness on average is no less than ours.

Your examples state 2 or 3 countries in Africa have slightly higher suicide rates than most European countries or America.

Given the standard of living and level of poverty in much of Africa, their suicide rates should be staggeringly higher than the United States and the fact is, they're not.

Compared to California or Texas. Obviously Africa is a worse place to live. My source also details how data collection is not very good in this places, and despite that it still paints a picture that is worse than most developed nations in just about any metric you can think of. Also this is almost no priority to treat these issues.

It's bizarre to me that you're trying to hold on here.

Do you know what hyperbole means?

...do you? You weren't being hyperbolic, just inaccurate.

You appeared to be attempting to draw a correlation between diversity and national wealth, but you didn't propose a causative relationship, and honestly there isn't even a strong correlation.

So i really don't know what you want me to say.

That doesn’t work the way you think
Maslows hierarchy of needs comes into play
No I get that, but different cultures do value things differently.

Generally when you hear of someone rich or successful taking their own life, it's someone from North America or Europe.

...do you? You weren't being hyperbolic, just inaccurate.

You appeared to be attempting to draw a correlation between diversity and national wealth, but you didn't propose a causative relationship, and honestly there isn't even a strong correlation.

So i really don't know what you want me to say.

I was clearly being hyperbolic, sorry it flew over your head kiddo.

Compared to California or Texas. Obviously Africa is a worse place to live. My source also details how data collection is not very good in this places, and despite that it still paints a picture that is worse than most developed nations in just about any metric you can think of. Also this is almost no priority to treat these issues.

It's bizarre to me that you're trying to hold on here.
I'm not saying there is a comparison between quality of life between California/Texas and most/all of Africa.

I'm saying the level of happiness (suicide rate being my main focus) between the two is far closer than the gap in wealth/quality of life would suggest it should be.

Nobody in Africa with a fridge full of food and good health are putting a gun to their head and pulling the trigger.

I'm not saying there is a comparison between quality of life between California/Texas and most/all of Africa.

I'm saying the level of happiness (suicide rate being my main focus) between the two is far closer than the gap in wealth/quality of life would suggest it should be.

Nobody in Africa with a fridge full of food and good health are putting a gun to their head and pulling the trigger.

First, you're wrong. Wealthy people all over the world kill themselves.

Second, your point would only make sense if the suicide rate in Africa was comparatively better.. but we now know that not only is it comparatively worse, it's probably worse than the data suggests because the data collection and priority of the local government to correct or track these issues is non-existent.

I was clearly being hyperbolic, sorry it flew over your head kiddo.

First snowflake, now kiddo? Please stop. I can't take any more.

Also, back on topic, is there evidence that the selection process is anything other than meritocratic? Is race a known factor in the selection process; is it done by referral, testing, what?

@panamaican indicated up thread that it is often hard to find out about these programs; could that alone explain the demographic difference?

Back