Prestigious public high school stages walkout to protest that school is 50% white

First snowflake, now kiddo? Please stop. I can't take any more.

Also, back on topic, is there evidence that the selection process is anything other than meritocratic? Is race a known factor in the selection process; is it done by referral, testing, what?

@panamaican indicated up thread that it is often hard to find out about these programs; could that alone explain the demographic difference?
There is a race/class issue to the knowledge gap though. Teachers don't inform black parents about the existence of these programs at the same rate that they inform white parents. They also are more likely to inform well-to-do parents instead of low income ones. In the circumstances where teacher recommendations are required for the tests, you run into the same race and class issues.

But that's broadly speaking, I wouldn't necessarily apply it to this school. This school has a student portfolio portion (comprised of work from the 7th/8th grade) that probably works against students from lower quality schools. Those students won't have the same quality portfolio because their underlying middle school isn't preparing them for that level of engagement.

I'd imagine that is the issue that the students are trying to highlight. If so, I would agree with them. Student portfolios would be an extremely unmeritocratic way to handle admissions since they can't ensure that all kids are coming from schools that provided them with enough opportunity to create such a portfolio.

Screenshot-20191204-102307-2.png

@Rational Poster, we're done here.
Just let him think he's won. It appears to mean a lot to him.

Typical liberal with a race to the bottom and not fixing the problem.

They think they have to lower the standards because black people cannot possibly make the scores required.

That’s racist and stupid. How about we start we’re the problem is the education at the starting level and the parents and community view of education in general. That’s the solution.

Also amusing - pointing to Japan while Japan is failing to reproduce itself. At the very least, they should pick a country that is above replacement rate.

Oh no, there will be affordable housing and no migrant leech class to burden the country. And AI and robotics will help boost productivity making life cheaper and easier for the Japanese. They are doomed.

Last edited:
There is a race/class issue to the knowledge gap though. Teachers don't inform black parents about the existence of these programs at the same rate that they inform white parents. They also are more likely to inform well-to-do parents instead of low income ones. In the circumstances where teacher recommendations are required for the tests, you run into the same race and class issues.

But that's broadly speaking, I wouldn't necessarily apply it to this school. This school has a student portfolio portion (comprised of work from the 7th/8th grade) that probably works against students from lower quality schools. Those students won't have the same quality portfolio because their underlying middle school isn't preparing them for that level of engagement.

I'd imagine that is the issue that the students are trying to highlight. If so, I would agree with them. Student portfolios would be an extremely unmeritocratic way to handle admissions since they can't ensure that all kids are coming from schools that provided them with enough opportunity to create such a portfolio.
Well said. This issue is not something I've looked into much, not like I have any reason to yet, so your take is much appreciated.

One thing that sticks out is how you describe the portfolio requirement as not very meritocratic. I think often people see some official or numerical metric and assume that its therefore a more or less pristine meritocratic standard without thinking more deeply about how that might not be the case such as how you did here.

The problem from the left is that sometimes they're too critical and no attempt to create a functional standard or screening process is accepted, not unless it produces the desired outcome. But that doesn't seem to be the case with these NY schools.

Last edited:
No I get that, but different cultures do value things differently.

Generally when you hear of someone rich or successful taking their own life, it's someone from North America or Europe.
Suicide rate is near zero in the Middle East
Wonder if poverty is somehow related since those people don’t commit suicide

Suicide rate is near zero in the Middle East
Wonder if poverty is somehow related since those people don’t commit suicide
Probably something to do with expectations of life vs reality of life. Most people in Africa or the middle east probably don't have grandiose expectations of their life. A kid in San Fran probably thinks he's going to be a silicon valley mogul then ends up a flipping burgers probably hates life even though it's technically superior than those living in Africa or ME

HyPeRboLe

No. Just stupidity.

It's not hyperbole to say California has a larger economy than all of Asia, Africa and South America combined. It's just utter, staggering stupidity.

You've heard other, smarter leftists brag about California's economy and you were just NPCing.

No. Just stupidity.

It's not hyperbole to say California has a larger economy than all of Asia, Africa and South America combined. It's just utter, staggering stupidity.

You've heard other, smarter leftists brag about California's economy and you were just NPCing.

Nope, it was hyperbole.

Also, it's closer to true than not.

California GDP per capita is higher than all of those countries. Point blank period. It literally has a higher total GDP than all the countries in Africa combined by quite some margin and is not too far behind the entire South American continent either.

I also didn't specify California. Texas and New York are both pretty worthy challengers for the same mantel.

Nope, it was hyperbole.

California GDP per capita is higher than all of those countries. Point blank period. It literally has a higher total GDP than all the countries in Africa combined by quite some margin and is not too far behind the entire South American continent either.

I also didn't specify California. Texas and New York are both pretty worthy challengers for the same mantel.

So let's break down your reasoning

If a geographically delineated place has a high GDP per capita, that means the opinion on immigration of the people who live there is good
California has a high GDP per capita
Therefore their opinion on immigration (open borders) is good

I love how retarded this line of reasoning is.

But let's entertain you and pretend this method of gauging of immigration decisions makes any sense of all. You're cherry-picking states that fit your reasoning. Nothing stops me from also picking, for example, prefectures in Japan or provinces in China that fit the opposite reasoning
If a geographically delineated place has a high GDP per capita, that means the opinion on immigration of the people who live there is good
The Tokyo prefecture has a high GDP per capita
Therefore their opinion on immigration (closed borders) is good

Nope, it was hyperbole.

Jesus christ.

So let's break down your reasoning

California has a high GDP per capita
Therefore their opinion on immigration (open borders) is good

I love how retarded this line of reasoning is.

But let's entertain you and pretend this method of gauging of immigration decisions makes any sense of all. You're cherry-picking states that fit your reasoning. Nothing stops me from also picking, for example, prefectures in Japan or provinces in China that fit the opposite reasoning
The Tokyo prefecture has a high GDP per capita
Therefore their opinion on immigration (closed borders) is good

That isn't my position at all. Nice attempt to straw man.

My position is that because California and New York and Texas have a more open market, including the free flow of labor, they are performing better than places with more closed societies. It doesn't seem very debatable.

Tokyo has the highest GDP per capita in all of Japan and it's still less than even smaller cities in California.

That isn't my position at all. Nice attempt to straw man.

My position is that because California and New York and Texas have a more open market, including the free flow of labor, they are performing better than places with more closed societies. It doesn't seem very debatable.

Tokyo has the highest GDP per capita in all of Japan and it's still less than even smaller cities in California.

Oh trust me I'm not straw-manning. There's a difference between you making no sense and making no effort to make your position clear, and me taking your argument and distorting it. You manage to make your own position confusing and nonsensical on all your own, congrats.

For you to credibly advance that the free flow of labour is the ultimate explanation for the economic success of certain areas, you'd have to first eliminate all the other possible factors - economic, demographic, cultural, etc - that have an influence on the economy's performance. You haven't done that, not even close. You just have a small mind incapable of grasping all the dozens of factors involved in an economy's performance.

Back