Opinion Preferential hiring (race, sex, disability) in universities and elsewhere - yay or nay?

The best, most qualified person for the job should get the job. simple as that, if two candidates are equally qualified, and one had to go through a lot more obstacles to get where they are? then I would lean towards that applicant.

You missed mentioning religious hiring.

You missed mentioning religious hiring.

I didn't mention it - but I absolutely agree it's a problem, and I would be - and am - opposed to it.

Also, Ben Shapiro is an absolute shill for Israel. The guy plays favourites in ways I am absolutely opposed to.

Given the wording, is your post an attempt to come in with a "gotcha" and get people to say "Yes, we're against targeted hiring - except religious."

Now, the caveat to that is something I mentioned in my original post. In special cases, targeted hiring makes sense - say, a woman only position for a female doctor to do mammograms at a battered woman shelter. But, those would require specific reasoning for each case and couldn't be broadly applied. Maybe some positions at religious institutions could target for religious beliefs? I mean, you could specify "must be Christian" to give sermons at a church or something. Something like the original example - the "to redress historic injustice" cases? Totally against - and that includes for religious grounds.

Reactions: Ruv
Wouldn't want to see that in America unless it was justified by the specific nature of the role (so not like the example given).

Ha!!!!

Pulling out the recently shit excuse "Depends on the Context" card

lol... We're on to you racists

Being in HR, I can confidently say that I don’t really think that this is a big macro issue but definitely can demonstrate micro issues.

Presumably the individuals still have to pass the interview. The top of funnel may bias under represented groups but they still have to pass the interview.

A recruiter may be, and in many cases IS, rewarded monetarily with the amount or percentage of candidates they hire from URGs.

I know this because I created those systems.

Additionally, the issue which walks the fine line of legality is the hiring exceptions. If a hiring manager has only 1 headcount left and 2 candidates of equal qualifications, more often than not they will give special consideration to the URG candidate. This is because organizations have representation targets for their teams which their funding is dependent on.

Ha!!!!

Pulling out the recently shit excuse "Depends on the Context" card

lol... We're on to you racists
I think what @Jack V Savage is saying is that there are certain roles which require a certain immutable characteristic. For example, it’s reasonable to hire a female to be a female dressing room attendant. Males will be expected to be turned away(adversely impacted) and it would still be within the legal right to do so.

The best, most qualified person for the job should get the job. simple as that, if two candidates are equally qualified, and one had to go through a lot more obstacles to get where they are? then I would lean towards that applicant.

Good answer.. but I would add that nobody should ASSUME someone had more obstacles due to race or gender.

Candidates should be the most qualified for the position regardless of any protected class.

Whenever I've had to hire somebody for my business and two candidates were close there was always something intangible that made the difference. To be fair a lot of jobs don't really require that many specific qualifications or maybe I just didn't deem them too important.

Have to add the context that I've only hired freelancers so it's a lot more feasible giving people some small test projects or work and then go from there.

Back in like the 80s yes. Today I think having all ethnicities is common place and accepted enough so that we don’t need to force it anymore.

Back