Opinion Preferential hiring (race, sex, disability) in universities and elsewhere - yay or nay?

Fake Doctor

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So, I follow a few mailing lists which forward when instances of race or identity based hiring happen at universities - mostly in Canada, but the odd other one slips in there - and I've been seeing an increasing number pop up. Now, you have to understand, there is already a general pressure on the social and funding (IE - more eligible for grant money) fronts to not just hire a bunch of white guys and I've had colleagues admit that there is a not so open bias in hiring, but that's just a bias, not an ironclad edict. The thing is, those edicts aren't exactly rare. I saw this one pop up the other day:

"Position/Rank
Assistant Professor of Integrated Music Composition, Music Technology and Theory, Full-time, tenure-track.

In accordance with the University’s Equity Plan and pursuant to Section 42 of the BC Human Rights code, the selection will be limited to members of the following designated group: Black people. Our search committee will review the pool of applications from those who self-identify with this designated group. Candidates from this group must self-identify in their cover letter to be considered for this position."

Also, down the way you'll see this tacked in there too:

"Additionally, qualified candidates will espouse a commitment to pedagogical innovation, and inclusive approaches to teaching, curriculum, and assessment by demonstrating an ability to teach a diverse student body with a range of perspectives, experiences, and cultures."

So they're not only demanding the person be black, but also ideologically committed to the ideas that lead to more hiring based on identity markers. This is a tenure track, six figure salary job, by the way, in an intensely competitive job market where a majority of grads are facing a brutal uphill battle.

Cases like this one are becoming more common. It is actually still illegal to just say "We're hiring people who aren't white men" but they get around things like this through things like the human rights code which allows for special program hires to be targeted by identity. In this case the clause mentioned was that it allowed for targeted hiring programs that "has as its objective the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups who are disadvantaged because of Indigenous identity, race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression." Some places - like New York State, I believe - has clauses that allow for specialized program hiring. These things were originally intended for, say, the person you hire to do mammograms at the battered women's shelter has to be a woman, so it was a compassionate allowance that people generally thought was reasonable. Now it is being used by places like universities to have totally mundane tenure track jobs be targeted towards specific groups of people, and only that group.

(BC code for anyone interested)

These things are slipped into the law in a lot of places and the effect is "blacks only" hiring like you're seeing blatantly stated in that UVic job ad. Another university is doing a pod hiring program, where it hires something like five minority professors a year - minimum - across the whole university, and it doesn't matter what department. This skirts most legal discrimination clauses because it is so general that there is no single job you can say "Oh, they won't hire whites for this one" - but it has the effect of eating up a substantial amount of the university's hiring budget per year, and lets them slowly fill in empty spots with desirable - IE, non white straight male - candidates. They can - and do - put in those clauses about candidates needed to be focused on diversity and equity.

So, this happening at universities. It's not rare. Some people are shocked to know it even exists, but it is outright common. It's probably legal in most places and, even if it weren't, if you're the one who challenges it legally and publicly good luck ever getting a job in departments where they want to do things like this.

Also, interesting article on the topic:

"The CRC targets are based on the 2016 census and will ramp up, by 2029, to see 50 per cent women, 22 per cent racialized minorities, 4.9 per cent Indigenous peoples and 7.5 per cent persons with disabilities holding chair appointments. As of October 2021, women held 40.9 per cent of these prestigious research jobs, visible minorities 22.8 per cent, Indigenous peoples 3.4 per cent, and people with disabilities 5.8 per cent."

Also, this article mentions the "Tri-agency Institutional Programs Secretariat" is the one pushing this stuff. This is not some university council or something - this is the Federal government, which shapes its funding and research goals with these mandates in mind, as well as the putting pressure directly on universities to hire like this. What this means is that this isn't just kooks in the university deciding it's a good idea for these practices to take place - they are literally incentivized by the feds to do so.

Curious - how do people feel about these practices? Are they just? Do you think they'll improve education? Should they be allowed? Is this a good direction for Western institutions to go?

Other instances of this:

"In support of its commitments to inclusive excellence in academia and research, The University of British Columbia has launched a Black Faculty Cohort Hiring Initiative (BFCHI) to recruit up to 23 Black scholars over the next four years."

"The University of Waterloo seeks applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism and inclusion. As such, we encourage applications from candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including applicants who identify as First Nations, Métis and/or Inuk (Inuit), Black, racialized, a person with a disability, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+."

"Over the next three years, all UCalgary faculties will participate in our Inclusive Excellence Cluster Hiring Initiative, which will recruit 45 professors from equity-deserving groups. This initiative is being pursued consistent with Section 6 on equitable and inclusive hiring in the UCalgary GFC Academic Staff Criteria & Processes Handbook and Section 10 of the Alberta Human Rights Act."

Some are hard "we are hiring this many applicants based on their identity markers" and some of them are just generalized "We have a commitment to this" which is usually a coded response to federal government pressure on selective hiring - as in, your university misses out on funding opportunities if it doesn't hire enough diversity, and this leads to various levels of university governance applying pressure for identity markers to be decisive factors in hiring.

Last edited:
Wouldn't want to see that in America unless it was justified by the specific nature of the role (so not like the example given).

"don't apply unless color X" is obviously racist.

Honestly, I almost prefer that to the approaches some other universities are taking (see the edit at the end of the post - "cluster initiatives" or some such) which leaves candidates who have next to no hope of getting the job applying like mad, perhaps not even realizing that the slot is earmarked for a candidate of colour. Everyone who is not black knows not to apply for the UVic job and won't waste their time crafting an application - which can be a very time intensive and quite stressful process. UBC's policy though?

"The University of British Columbia has launched a Black Faculty Cohort Hiring Initiative (BFCHI) to recruit up to 23 Black scholars over the next four years"

This leads to certain slots being marked - internally - as black only slots, but the applicants won't know it. Now, there may be a truly, truly exceptional candidate who makes them say "Ok, we need this person in this job - we can hire a black person for another spot in another department" - but that's not your average applicant.

This leads to certain slots being marked - internally - as black only slots, but the applicants won't know it. Now, there may be a truly, truly exceptional candidate who makes them say "Ok, we need this person in this job - we can hire a black person for another spot in another department" - but that's not your average applicant.
i like how the choice is between "truly exceptional" and "black".

I think the best definition of racism is an ideology of a racially based hierarchy (this race is better than/should rule over that race). The action here appears to be a (misguided) attempt to counteract racism.

i like how the choice is between "truly exceptional" and "black".

Don't get me wrong, there are capable black scholars, and some truly exceptional ones too. I'm sure they would have gotten jobs whether there was preferential hiring or not. There aren't nearly as many black applicants as some other groups though so, on a level playing field, there probably wouldn't be that many black hires - but there definitely would be some who were well deserving of the positions.

But in this environment... You have no idea the level of despondency and low morale this is creating among young people - particularly white men - who are completing their doctorates these days. There are a lot of very intelligent, capable young scholars with good research records who are self-selecting out of even applying for more than a few jobs because they don't believe they have a realistic shot at getting them - and they might be right. It takes a lot of time, energy, and has a big impact on one's psyche to be on the application treadmill, and if you come to the realization that the deck is outright stacked against you... Well, you have an advanced degree - what other options are there where you might not be facing that uphill battle? The academy is losing a lot of really great potential scholars this way. Sadly, a lot of them don't even feel like they can talk about it because they will be perceived as racist for doing so and then they are REALLY fucked. Nobody admits it, but I suspect a lot of people in administration are actually quite happy about this, because if fewer undesirable people apply, then there are fewer they have to outright turn down - and it makes it easier to justify picking from what is somethings a very small list of desirable candidates. Seems to me like there is an active attempt to limit the talent pool and discourage qualified scholars though.

Perhaps the greatest irony of all of this is that this is similar to the feeling a lot of young black scholars likely had when Jim Crow was coming to an end... Even if they went through school, why bother applying to become a professor? There is open discrimination against you based on your identity, and you'll probably just have to watch an inferior white scholar get the job.

Last edited:
Not a fan, unless it’s quadriplegics

There are special provisions for sexy midgets at some institutions in the prairies. Despite their reputation they're very forward thinking there.

I know in the US with many companies, it's much easier to fire a white guy under the age of 40 than it is for anyone else. If the release of the employee involves them being a female, non white or older, they have to collect more information on the person to ensure there is no bigotry involved in firing the person. They can't merely just release them for your standard amount of poor work output. They have to go above and beyond what a 30 year old white guy would do in order to get fired.

The irony is unreal there. I really wish this would get challenged in courts because it's racist and sexist.

1. Thread is about Canada. That kind of thing isn't legal in America.
2. That is a major misreading of the data.

Thanks for the link, I must admit those numbers sounded fishy--though my experience working in tech made it seem plausible.

Although only 46% of the jobs going to 70% of the population is still strong evidence of racial bias, especially if one also argues that this 70% is the most privileged and hence should be overrepresented in a meritocracy not under.

Just because something is unconstitutional in America it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Thanks for the link, I must admit those numbers sounded fishy--though my experience working in tech made it seem plausible.

Although only 46% of the jobs going to 70% of the population is still strong evidence of racial bias, especially if one also argues that this 70% is the most privileged and hence should be overrepresented in a meritocracy not under.

Just because something is unconstitutional in America it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

The numbers don't suggest racial bias because the overall population isn't the right benchmark (the white population is older on average than the national average). Not sure about your argument that whites should be overrepresented in a meritocracy, especially as we're talking about a lot of entry-level positions.

Just because it's logically possible for something to happen doesn't mean it does.

Yes, completely and it's bullshit. I want the best doctor regardless of race. But it goes on, I've seen it. If you're qualified for a job then great. Being of a particular race, or fitting some other bullshit woke quota doesn't mean you're qualified. But that should be common sense.

The hits just keep on coming.

"The Employment Equity Act sets out Canada’s mandated diversity scheme, which requires the federal government and its contractors to set hiring “targets” for women, visible minorities, Indigenous people and the disabled. On Monday, Labour Minister Seamus O’Regan said he planned to add LBGT and Black people to the list of those with special hiring privileges.
The expansion was recommended in a 500-page task force report released Monday. Led by McGill University law professor and critical race scholar Adelle Blackett, the review panel called for “transformational” change and strong adherence to diversity targets. But don’t worry: even though it walks and quacks like a quota system, the report writers screeched that it was not a quota system.

“Let us be clear: the Employment Equity Act framework does not impose quotas, and the notion of ‘reverse discrimination’ is not part of Canadian equality law and is likewise not part of the Canadian Employment Equity Act framework,” reads the introduction.

The argument is legalistic. The task force insists that any concerns about “reverse discrimination” are unfounded because the Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects affirmative action programs like the employment equity scheme, and because our courts interpret “equality” to mean “substantive equality” (that is, a matter of equal outcome rather than equal treatment). However, just because non-minorities are limited from fighting identity-based discrimination in court due to the asymmetrical protections offered by Canadian law, that doesn’t mean that reverse discrimination doesn’t happen.
"

As a historic Liberal voter myself, every once in a while I show some of my current Liberal voting friends some ridiculously discriminatory, blatantly racist job ad like the one I popped up in the original post. Their reaction is almost always "Oh, wow! That's horrible! Can't the government do something about this?" Then I walk them down a rabbit hole of the way they give Tri-Agency grants and they realize that they won't just not stop it - they're the ones who want it to happen.

Yes

I want my engineers to be Germans, quality control to be Japanese, accountants to be Jews and factory workers to be Chinese.

This policy is racist.

And as a bonus this makes the very same people they do hire look like the only reason they got the job was because of this. Which might or might not be true.

Back