Pre-fight discussion UFC Fight Night 60 Lemos vs. Jandiroba Sat. July 20 Prelims 5pm ET ESPN2/ESPN+, Main 8pm ET ESPN/ESPN+

Planning to watch

• All of it

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Most of it

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Some of it

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
Though not the greatest on paper, there are some pretty interesting match ups:

• Miranda Maverick vs Dione Barbosa - Maverick has looked much improved over her last couple of fights and I'm intrigued any time a former Olympian is in the Octagon
  • Jeong Yeong Lee vs Hyder Amil - Lee is a very interesting prospect with nice body work and brutal ground and pound. Amil is relentless and causes chaos. Lee appeared to need some work on his TDD in his last fight, I'm expecting Amil to see if he's shored that up.
  • Doo Ho Choi vs Senor Perfecto - Potential FOTN, not much in term of consequence, but should be a fun scrap
  • Steve Garcia vs Seung Woo Choi - Just Bleed Special, should be violent
  • Brad Tavares vs Iron Turtle - If you don't like the Iron Turtle we can't be friends
  • Amanda Lemos vs Virna Jandiroba - Jandiroba has put together quite the run with 3 straight wins over Top 10 opponents. If she picks up the win over Lemos, she has a better claim on paper for a title shot than Suarez (though I think we all know Suarez is getting the next shot)
Also, the beauty of MMA is that a card that is underwhelming on paper always has a chance to provide some incredible moments.

Best Sport In The World!

I know some have ended up as duds, but, a lot of these type of cards end up being pretty good because either people are trying to scrap and make a name for themselves or there's such squash match's put together that it ends in violence.

Im super excited to see Jun Yong Park , Seung Woo Choi , and Doo Ho Choi.

Its South Korean night baby (don't care about basically anything else on the card)

112784-4248371.png

Checking in with Virna Jandiroba​

Facebook Twitter Reddit Email

CHRISTIAN STEIN JUL 18, 2024 COMMENTS

Ahead of her headlining clash with Amanda Lemos at UFC on ESPN 60 this Saturday, former Invicta Fighting Championships strawweight champ Virna Jandiroba (20-3, 6-3 UFC) spoke to Sherdog about her preparation for the fight, the path that brought her to her first UFC main event, and what the future might hold.

“I have much pride in my trajectory thus far in MMA,” Jandiroba said. “Since my start in regional fights in Brazil, to Invicta FC, to getting into the UFC, I’ve mostly won my fights, despite the occasional setback. I dealt with two back-to-back injuries more recently. Despite it all, I’ve persisted and continued improving. Today I’m in the UFC’s top 5. It’s something I’ve wanted to achieve since the start of my career, but I had to mature along the way first. I’m feeling very happy about it all.”

On the prospect of fighting fellow Brazilians for the top spot in the division, the 36-year-old recognizes that those collisions will be inevitable as multiple women converge on the same goal at the same time: “I’ll be facing Amanda Lemos, another Brazilian. These things happen. There are three Brazilians in the top 5. Besides Amanda, there’s also Jessica Andrade. So, facing each other is unavoidable. Amanda is a fierce fighter with very good striking. She’s efficient. But obviously we found holes in her game. She has holes in her ground game. It’s no surprise that it’s where I’m most comfortable. It’s what I’ll pursue in this fight.”

Preparation for “UFC Vegas 94” took place, as usual, at Jandiroba’s longtime headquarters in eastern Brazil, where she benefits from a veteran coaching staff and high-level training partners including some fellow Octagon fighters. “I did my camp in Bahia [Brazil] with my coaches and my entire multidisciplinary team. Even though I enjoy training elsewhere, when it’s time for a pre-fight training camp I prefer to be with my own team. I feel greater confidence in the work since they already know me. I like to feel at home. My head coach is Renato Velame. He’s always by my side. Robenilson Vieira is the boxing coach. I’m also training with UFC veteran Hugo Viana. I have a great team. Iasmin Lucindo is also part of our academy. She’s in the UFC top 15. We trained together a lot. She was a huge help.”

Beyond Saturday’s main event, Jandiroba declines to speculate on the future. Like her namesake bird of prey, “Carcara” sees nothing but the task before her. “My plan is to beat Amanda this Saturday. It’s all I’m focused on.”

Amanda Lemos' Road Back to the Top​

CHRISTIAN STEIN JUL 18, 2024 COMMENTS

Amanda Lemos has climbed high enough to see the top of the mountain, so she knows it can be done; it’s simply a matter of doing it again. The former Jungle Fightchampion’s last two losses in the UFC were to strawweight champ Weili Zhang, and prior to that, against former champion Jessica Andrade in what could easily have been a title eliminator bout at the time.

As she prepares to face Virna Jandiroba in the main event of UFC on ESPN 60 this Saturday in Las Vegas, the 37-year-old Brazilian recognizes that her path back to a shot at the belt is at a major crossroads, and her experience thus far in the UFC – losses and setbacks as well as victories – has prepared her for this. “The start of my career was challenging. After starting in 2014, I fought in Jungle Fight. I captured and defended the belt. Then I didn’t fight for some time before my UFC debut. That fight [against Leslie Smith] was two weight classes above. I didn’t fight again for another two years. Then I went on great winning streaks punctuated by a few losses. I’ve scored three UFC bonuses. The bonuses were a huge help. I used them to help my family, my parents, and people I love. MMA changed my life. I’m truly grateful. It serves to further motivate me to train more, improve, and become a future champion.”

About her foe this weekend, “Amandinha” is complimentary. She recognizes the clash of styles between herself and the decorated grappler, and while she is confident in her own skills, she is realistic about her best path to victory. “Virna Jandiroba is an excellent top-5 athlete. I knew that sooner or later we’d meet, we’d have to fight. We’re both Brazilian, and the top of our weight class [strawweight] if full of Brazilians. It was unavoidable. She’s my opponent now. So, without a doubt, I’ll fight to win. I’ll impose my game. I don’t think she’ll want to strike with me. She’ll want to do her game, which is to press against the game, get a takedown, and go for a submission. But I won’t allow it. I’ll defend takedowns, keep the fight standing, and knock her out.”

Nonetheless, Lemos would welcome the chance to show off her increasingly well-rounded game: “I’m always improving – especially my grappling, my jiu-jitsu. Even strikers try to get me down to the mat. That’s what they want. But with every training day, I know I’m well-prepared for that. My jiu-jitsu is much improved. I’ll demonstrate that on July 20. I’m training hard so I can win well against Virna, so I can knock her out, so I can fight for the belt again by year’s end. My current focus is on Virna. I want to win well so I can earn another title shot.”

Luana Carolina's Steady Improvement​

CHRISTIAN STEIN JUL 17, 2024 COMMENTS

In the modern sport of MMA, athletes typically go through a lengthy development process before they reach the world’s top organization – assuming they make it at all, that is. Outside of a few celebrated phenoms, most fighters rack up 10, 20 or more bouts in local or regional promotions, honing their craft on smaller stages for smaller stakes, hoping to attract the attention of an entity such as the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

That was not the case for Luana Carolina. As the 31-year-old Brazilian prepares to face Lucie Pudilova in a flyweight feature on Saturday at UFC on ESPN 60 in Las Vegas, she reflects on the path that brought her to the UFC Octagon after just six professional bouts. She recognizes that her relatively early call up to the big leagues meant that part of her learning process has taken place under the bright lights, but maintains that she has no regrets and is grateful for the opportunity.

“I believe it was the right moment,” Carolina told Sherdog.com. “Many other fighters wanted this opportunity but didn’t get it. But I also understand that it was an early debut. I ended up learning to be an MMA fighter inside the world’s biggest organization. It wasn’t easy. I was initially victorious, but because of that I had to learn through my highs and lows, I learned that you just can’t go there and bang it out. You have to study all the situations that UFC fighters might find themselves in. In the end – yes – it happened at the right time.”

Now with a 10-4 record, more than half of those bouts having taken place in the UFC, Carolina can point to some of the improvements she has made to her skills. Where her first four UFC wins came by decision, in her latest outing in February at UFC Fight Night 235, she punished Julija Stoliarenko for most of three rounds en route to a last-second technical knockout victory. Carolina credits her experience and preparation, pointing to her team of coaches.

“My last opponent was very tough and dangerous,” she said. “She’s had eight first-round finishes. But my coaches and I studied her extensively. Since before my last defeat, I had started to make several changes to my game and training sessions. I knew that I could become more than I already was. I have more to offer as an athlete. I started training with coach Michel ‘Cubano,’ who gave me a greater vision of how I wanted to be seen as a fighter. In no way did I want to be just another fighter in the UFC. Now, I’m headed to my ninth fight in the organization. This is because I was able to show my evolution. I have been showing this in my most recent fights. The plan [against Stoliarenko] was indeed to look for a KO. The plan was to keep moving, stuff her takedowns, watch out for her ground attacks, with the knowledge that I could potentially knock her out. Prior to the UFC, most of my wins in muay thai and MMA had been by knockout. As time went by, as I felt I was very resistant, I got used to winning by decision. I started thinking differently. I can win before it goes to decision. I have the weapons to finish earlier.”

Looking at Pudilova and the task ahead of her this week, Carolina recognizes the threat presented by the former Oktagon MMA champ, and looks forward to seeing how the UFC Apex crowd reacts to the Brazil vs. Czech Republic showdown. “I think the fans will be somewhat neutral,” she said. “Neither one of us is American. In the fight, I expect she’ll want to strike a little with me. But, as we’ve seen in her other fights against strikers, she’ll go for takedowns. She’s good at that. But I’m training and getting ready for it. I plan to strike but I’m ready for the ground, same as my last opponent. I’m getting ready for what Pudilova does best, but I personally don’t care if we keep it standing or go to the mat.”

That willingness to engage with her opponent wherever the fight takes place is another sign of Carolina’s maturation into a well-rounded MMA fighter. Previously a striker by training and preference, “Dread” once again credits her team. “I’m training under head coach Rafael 'Tocha,' who’s also my husband,” she said. “He works remotely with coach Michel Cubano who’s back in Brazil. They’re my two instructions. But I also work with Chase Pami [at Gold Rush Wrestling in Las Vegas]. I also work on my jiu-jitsu with Rafael ‘Rafinha’ Domingos. I attend the collective training sessions at Syndicate MMA. And I’ve been working with boxing instructor Yaikel Kindelan. Boxing is one of the first things I got back to doing since I came here [to the U.S.]. Everything is going very well. I’m adapting well. I remain in touch with my coaches in Brazil. They communicate with my coaches here. For example, Marcelo Zotovici coordinates jiu-jitsu with Rafael Domingos here. They communicate well and that’s shown in my performances.”

Amid all the improvements in her game, one thing that has remained a challenge for Carolina is the scale. Her dominant performance against Stoliarenko was marred by having failed to make the flyweight limit, her second such incident in the UFC. While Carolina is willing give her reasons for the latest miss, she is more interested in making improvements than excuses – and it starts this week.

“Last time [against Stoliarenko], I had different weight-cutting instructions,” she said. “That’s where I made a mistake. I had been shedding weight, same as all my other fights. But at the very end, the weight got stuck. I didn’t know what happened. And the other time [against Poliana Botelho], I didn’t make weight because it was short-notice. I was coming off an inactive period due to a knee injury and had to shed 16 kg [35 pounds] in a month. But more recently I’ve been working closely with my nutritionist and conditioning coaches. I underwent various exams to measure muscle mass, body fat, and such. That is so I can always make weight, since it also has a financial effect. I can’t imagine that any fighter would choose not to make weight. We’re sad when that happens. Making weight is the fight before the fight itself.”

Assuming all goes well on the scale and in the cage this week, Carolina has some loftier goals in her sights. “My first plan is the next fight. All my focus is on having the best fight of my life and being victorious. After this, I want someone in the top 15. I deserve a chance to be ranked. I’ve been in the UFC for long enough. I’ve shown my evolution.”

Dione Barbosa: Born Ready​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email

CHRISTIAN STEIN JUL 16, 2024 COMMENTS

For Dione Barbosa, a chance to step up on short notice and face a contender in her division is exactly the kind of opportunity for which a lifetime of combat sports experience has prepared her. Speaking with a sense of confidence that belies her mere nine professional MMA bouts, the 2012 Olympic judoka spoke to Sherdog about her upcoming fight with Miranda Maverick at UFC on ESPN 60 on Saturday, which was booked when Maverick’s original opponent, Tracy Cortez, was drafted to headline “UFC Denver” the week before. Barbosa professes to be pleased with her progress in the four years since she devoted herself fully to mixed martial arts.

“It was a long road, even though in numbers it seems short,” Barbosa said of her 7-2 record. “I've been fighting since I was 7 years old, and my MMA career is a projection of that. From my love and dedication to martial arts, I am happy with my results. The defeats have taught me a lot as well as the victories. They have pushed me closer and closer to my goals.”

With about a month to prepare for Maverick, Barbosa likes her chances in their fight, and predicts an entertaining scrap. “I think it will be a very active fight,” she said. “We’re both grapplers. I’ve watched her fights. They weren’t hard to find. Same as mine. This is the type of fight I want – against a girl with world experience and in the UFC too. Of course, everyone has holes in their game. Whoever best exploits the other’s weaknesses will win. It’s what I try to do in all my fights. It’s what I’m training to do. I expect to get my arm raised at the end, without a doubt. I’ll give my best. I know it’s short notice but I’m always training and getting ready for whatever comes. I’m feeling happy. I’ve been having good training sessions. I’m ready to give my best.”

Also contributing to her readiness for “UFC Vegas 94” is that she had already relocated to the promotion’s home base, though she still splits time between there and her native country. “It’s been good. I went to Brazil for some time to work on my boxing. I’m back. I live in Las Vegas now. I got booked with three weeks to go. I was already in Vegas. I’m just continuing my training with [striking coach] Matheus Naccache. I’m also working with jiu-jitsu practitioners from California, as well as wrestlers. Cris Cyborg will be with me. I’m very happy with my family and everyone who believes in me.”

While the “Witch” feels ready for her upcoming challenge, she resists the impulse to look any further down the road. “It’s hard to talk about the future. I’m only thinking about this fight in front of me right now. I’m thinking of winning and looking for bigger challenges. As I’ve stated before, my goal is to get into the top 15 within my first two years. This is a great opportunity. When it came across me, I didn’t think twice before I agreed. After this fight, we’ll figure out the next steps.”

Lee Jeong-yeong won the Road to UFC featherweight tournament and seems like a decent finisher. I'll post a GIF below. Really though, both he and Amil are still proving themselves. Only bumped to main card cause the co-main fell off.

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Nice, looks like he's got decent finishing instincts indeed. Thanks for the answer.

Am I crazy that I'm more excited for Jake vs Perry tonight than any fight on this UFC card? Smdh 😞, I'm gonna skip this one I believe.

Last edited:
Now this is a bad, bad card if there ever was one. Holy crap.
If you don't think this card is anything but great you're a casual. Now open your mouth and let Dana diarrhea in it

This will probably be the second event in a row that I don't watch. I honestly just forgot about the last one and I just have better shit to do this evening.

One of those cards where my Tap will be about 40 percent lol

Am I crazy that I'm more excited for Jake vs Perry tonight than any fight on this UFC card? Smdh 😞, I'm gonna skip this one I believe.
I'll check out Perry/Paul for shits and gigs. I wouldn't turn on this UFC card if I were home and it was the only thing on tv. heinous showing thats sadly becoming the norm

Did the APex move to Seoul for the weekend ? If I was Korean this would be a great card. There is quite a few decent fights and will be a mich better card than paper looks.

That said the card folks need to be pissed about is the Sphere card which his challenge full of worse fights thsn these somehow.

Back