Pre-fight discussion UFC Fight night 243: Moicano vs. St. Denis Saturday September 28 from Paris, France ESPN+ Prelims Noon et Main 3pm et

Planning to watch

• All of it

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Most of it

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Some of it

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

Preview: UFC Fight Night 243 Prelims​

Cutelaba vs. Erslan​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email

TOM FEELY SEP 25, 2024 COMMENTS

A decent slate of prelims accompanies the Ultimate Fighting Championship on its annual trip to Paris this Saturday at Accor Arena. Light heavyweights take center stage on the UFC Fight Night 243 undercard, where promotional newcomer Ivan Erslan gets a chance to make a statement against Ion Cutelaba in the featured spot and France’s Oumar Sy—the brightest prospect of the bunch—gets a tough test against Da Woon Jung. Beyond that, Ludovit Klein returns to action at 155 pounds, and a pair of bouts should help sort out the lower reaches of the women’s bantamweight rankings.

Now to the preview for the UFC Fight Night 243 prelims: Ion Cutelaba (17-10-1, 6-9-1 UFC) vs. Ivan Erslan (14-3, 0-0 UFC)
ODDS: Cutelaba (-122), Erslan (+105)

Will things ever truly click for Cutelaba? The Moldovan was just 22 years old when the UFC picked him up in 2016, and at the time, he seemed like a well-rounded talent who would find enough success to keep developing under the UFC banner. Cutelaba has certainly had his moments, but it’s a bit hard to be sanguine about how things have progressed for “The Hulk.” At some point, Cutelaba lost his ability to control his aggression, turning most of his fights into a race towards a finish. Cutelaba would storm out of the gates and attempt to run over his opponents, either on the feet or through pounding them out on the mat, and either quickly succeed or careen off the rails trying to force things, eventually getting finished himself. The odd part is that every once in a blue moon, Cutelaba can pace himself enough to put together three solid rounds, though it’s unclear now if that’s enough to stay in the win column. He was able to outwrestle Devin Clark for three rounds in a 2021 win before a recent rough stretch, but Cutelaba checking himself in his last fight still resulted in a decision loss to Philipe Lins in March. Cutelaba could use an impressive showing against a UFC newcomer in Erslan, who’s a decent enough signing by the promotion. The Croatian’s game is limited enough that he’s unlikely to have any sort of championship upside, but he has had a successful career and brings enough knockout power to the table to cause problems in the light heavyweight division. Erslan’s a muscular athlete who purely looks to strike, which is a mixed bag. He can be a bit overly patient in picking his spots to strike, then tends to get wild when hunting for a finish once he actually springs into action. Still, he hits hard, and that’s often half the battle in these heavier weight classes. Cutelaba could make a lot of hay in this outing, particularly with his wrestling, but it’s hard to see him staying elusive and refusing to engage with Erslan; and if this is going to just devolve into a brawl, it’s difficult to give Cutelaba the benefit of the doubt at this point, especially against a hard hitter. The pick is Erslan via first-round knockout.

Jump To »
Cutelaba vs. Erslan
Sy vs. Jung
Klein vs. Roberts
Lapilus vs. Morales
Perez vs. Zheleznyakova
Altamirano vs. Barez
Cavalcanti vs. Cornolle
Oki vs. Duncan

really fookin excited to see how St Denis comes back from that VICIOUS knockout loss

and the starting time is
a7031e8ce4a66c2aaafd87aca298290a.gif
Yeah same.
There was so much at stake in that fight for BSD. I hope he recovered and is ready to go to war.

Joanderson Brito’s Proof of Concept​

CHRISTIAN STEIN SEP 25, 2024 COMMENTS

A string of dominant performances has Joanderson Brito on the verge of a Top 15 ranking in the Ultimate Fighting Championship featherweight division.

“Tubarao” will carry a 17-3-1 record into his featured UFC Fight Night 243 attraction opposite William Gomis this Saturday at Accor Arena in Paris. Brito has rattled off five consecutive victories, all of them finishes, since his January 2022 promotional debut ended in a unanimous defeat to former Ring of Combat champion Bill Algeoat UFC on ESPN 32.

“I’m very happy with my overall performance in the UFC,” Brito told Sherdog.com. “The work I put in has been tough and intense. The results, fight after fight, are proof of that.”

Gomis provides his latest test. The 27-year-old MMA Factory rep finds himself on an 11-fight winning streak that stretches back to 2016. Gomis last suited up at UFC Fight Night 226, where he put away Yanis Ghemmouri with a third-round body kick a little more than a year ago. “The Jaguar” has secured eight of his 13 career victories by knockout, technical knockout or submission.

“He’s a good fighter, and he’s also been showing good results in the organization,” Brito said. “He’s not ranked, which was also true of my other opponents, but he’s on a good streak. Like me, he’s looking for a spot in the rankings. A finish can happen at any moment, just like in every fight of mine. My game will be the same. I’ll step into the cage, and I’ll pressure him with grappling and strikes. I’ll do my MMA game the way I enjoy it, and I’ll walk away with another win.”

Brito operates out of the Chute Boxe affiliate fronted by Joao Emilio in Bauru, Brazil. There, he trains under Emilio, muay thai coach Joao Paulo de Carvalho and Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor Andre Luis Leal Lobato. Southpaws Melquizael Costa and Marcirley Alves served as his primary sparring partners ahead of his showdown with Gomis.

“I’ll be as ready as always,” Brito said. “I believe our strategy goes along great with my game. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel. I’ll apply pressure by fighting MMA my way. It works against any sort of opponent in the weight class.”

Long-term goals have not changed for Brito.

“My plan remains the same,” he said. “I’ll continue training and fighting until I can establish myself as a Top 5 UFC fighter. I wish to remain there for a long time and continue improving my personal life via the sport.”

It's a Euro card. Gotta make the most out of the opportunity to see a UFC event live at humane hours, so I'm watching all of it.

And I have a feeling it's gonna deliver, so I'm stoked!
I'm glad you'll be with us
love-cats-cat.gif
Cool. We'll have fun in the PbP thread. We always do. I'm looking up some fighter footage the next couple days. That always enhances my enjoyment of a card.

According to Allen, Imanov declined 5 rounds.
According to Imanov, five rounds was never on the table.
Well I ain't gonna believe no stinkin Frenchman.

I hope Benoit Staph Denis gets KTFO or choked out cold too for all the excuses he made after the Poirier execution.

Preview: UFC Fight Night 243 ‘Moicano vs. St. Denis’​

Carneiro vs. St. Denis​

TOM FEELY SEP 26, 2024 COMMENTS

UFC Fight Night 243 on Saturday at Accor Arena marks the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s third annual trip to Paris in what has quickly become one of the highlights on the calendar. Much of that is due to the always-raucous French crowd, but the cards themselves have typically come through, and this looks like another engaging exercise. Benoit St. Denis might be the most entertaining fighter that France has to offer at the moment, and he gets a willing dance partner in Renato Carneiro atop the bill. Beyond that, it serves as a massive opportunity for French talent. Nassourdine Imavov and Brendan Allen have an outside chance at a title shot with a victory in the middleweight co-main event, while William Gomis, Kevin Jousset and Fares Ziam all get cracks at the most significant wins of their respective careers.

Now to the UFC Fight Night 243 “Moicano vs. St. Denis” preview:

Lightweights​

#11 LW | Renato Carneiro (19-5-1, 11-5 UFC) vs. #12 LW | Benoit St. Denis (13-2, 5-2 UFC)

ODDS: St. Denis (-270), Carneiro (+220)

He might be coming off a loss, but St. Denis is still one of the shining stars of French mixed martial arts, as evidenced by his headlining status here. There wasn’t a ton of footage available of “God of War’ ahead of his 2021 UFC debut, but what existed was interesting, showing St. Denis to be aggressive if nothing else. While his UFC debut—a late-notice spot up at welterweight against Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos—didn’t go particularly well, some poor refereeing allowed St. Denis to show off his durability, eating a level of abuse that would've permanently derailed the careers of other fighters. After a short layoff, St. Denis got his UFC campaign going in earnest back at 155 pounds, and he quickly became one of the brightest prospects in the division. The Frenchman looked like an unstoppable buzzsaw in his wins, applying pressure early and often, eventually swamping his opponents and earning either a knockout or a submission. The back half of 2023 was particularly kind to St. Denis, as his wins over Thiago Moises and Matt Frevola were highlights of their respective cards in Paris and New York, enough so that it wasn’t a shock when he got booked against perennial contender Dustin Poirier in March. St. Denis put in a good showing despite getting knocked out in the second round—it speaks to both Poirier’s talent and the breakneck pace that the Frenchman was able to set—and at 28 years old in a division ripe for some turnover near the top, he figures to break into the title picture at some point within the next few years. The attempted rebound starts against Carneiro in a winnable but clearly dangerous fight, particularly with the Brazilian coming in on the heels of an impressive comeback.

Carneiro has had a rollercoaster of a UFC career over the last decade, to say the least. Initially a top prospect when the UFC picked him up in 2014, Carneiro’s career struggled to get off the ground due to injuries. Despite being relatively anonymous by the time 2017 rolled around, he surprisingly got the call for a prominent fight against Jeremy Stephens, then scored the decision win to make himself a going concern at 145 pounds. Carneiro teased making the leap into title contention on the back of his offensive skills—when he gets going, he can be both a sharp striker and a terrifying submission threat—but had some clear issues playing the nail and the not the hammer, as he crumbled in knockout losses to Jose Aldo and Chan Sung Jung. Given that, it was a bit surprising when Carneiro decided to move up to lightweight in 2020, and it didn’t look like things would change much early on. A quick knockout loss to Rafael Fiziev in Carneiro’s second lightweight fight followed the same script as most of his losses. However, somewhere along the way, Carneiro has developed the mental toughness to get through some difficult spots. A comeback win over Alexander Hernandez in 2022 was the first sign he might have turned the corner, but it has been truly affirmed after his April fight against Jalin Turner, which saw him score a second-round submission after essentially getting knocked out. Add in that things seem to be clicking on all cylinders for Carneiro as a personality, and he’s in the middle of a surprising late-career renaissance. Unfortunately for him, this appears to be where that ride ends. Even in his newfound form, Carneiro tends to need moments to gather himself in the face of adversity and stage a comeback, and those aren’t opportunities St. Denis tends to offer. Add in that the Frenchman can hang with Carneiro on the mat, and this looks like a fight where St. Denis can take the initiative and turn an early advantage into a finish. Things could get dicey if this lasts more than a round, but the pick is St. Denis via first-round submission.

Jump To »
Carneiro vs. St. Denis
Imavov vs. Allen
Brito vs. Gomis
Battle vs. Jousset
Charriere vs. Miranda
Ziam vs. Frevola
The Prelims

I'm glad you'll be with us
love-cats-cat.gif

I'm glad to be here with y'all (in ze future)

79515f717c696b55ceaccaa9a631a99a.gif

Found an In! gif...

Cool. We'll have fun in the PbP thread. We always do. I'm looking up some fighter footage the next couple days. That always enhances my enjoyment of a card.

I'm sure we will! :)

That's a good idea! I might just do the same.

Honestly.. is not that bad of a card compared with the absolude dogshit they have been putting lately.

Will watch

Back