PPV regional price differences?

taedium

The implication
@Black
Reaction score
I just found out that the difference within European countries is anything from

I think its to generate more interest in areas that MMA isn't popular yet. You get more viewers with cheaper PPV's in those areas until the demand is high enough you can start raising prices.

But this is my uneducated speculation.

I think its to generate more interest in areas that MMA isn't popular yet. You get more viewers with cheaper PPV's in those areas until the demand is high enough you can start raising prices.

Well, the Netherlands has many UFC fans, probably a lot more than Norway. I see where you are coming from, but one would think that one price for all of Europe at least would make sense. Especially since VPN's are easily available, and changes the price with one click. Clearly more people will stream illegally, if their country has to pay nearly 4 times the price than neighboring countries.

$64.99 in Canada per PPV event

edit...that is for Bell tv in HD...I believe standard def is $54.99...still too much

Last edited:
$0.00 last time I was in Korea. Just on free TV. I much prefer that price point to the Canadian one.

Nothing can justify it being 10 times more expensive in another country. The UFC clearly has a long way to go for international broadcasts. TUF: smashes prelims weren't even available online to international customers, so had to stream it even though I paid for the main event. Get some commercials into the vacant spots that is just a still image for 2+ minutes and get one set prize. Also they have to start offering multi-angles, or just remove the feature altogether.

Here in Brazil we pay for a channel that broadcasts every UFC event plus regional events and some other related content. It costs about $ 27 a month. You can buy one event in PPV, but it`s almost the price of the channel, so it`s not a good idea.

i think you are partially correct.
in my opinion the other aspect is purely economic. income levels vary drastically around the world. what is a day's income in some areas is a weekly income in other areas.
asking fans to pay a day's income for a PPV? maybe
asking fans to pay a week's income for a PPV? not likely

and they wonder why so many people are doing illegal streams in North America...

Considering its 2012 why do we even have to pay extra for HD events.
Shouldnt it be the standard by now.

Standard definition looks like shit on a big TV

$64.99 in Canada per PPV event

edit...that is for Bell tv in HD...I believe standard def is $54.99...still too much

as a US customer this is why I have gotten defensive in other threads about the "best fans" or "best fanbase".

when i hear millions watched in brazil my response is yes but for free on national television or on a sports channel.
while less people watched the same card in canada and the US they paid $55 to $65 each.
would more people watch in the US/Canada if UFC was on national TV or on ESPN? I think so

and a billion watching for free does not put much $ in zuffa's pockets whereas 500k at $55-$65 a pop is alot of dough for zuffa.
so i would argue north america is still the UFC's cash cow.
although to grow they need to get popular enough in other parts of the world that fans are willing to pay real PPV $ to watch

Last edited:
Back