Did you consider the WEC a regional promotion?

Love WEC i am sure it started as a regional promotion but grew to be much more and had incredible talent. mainly in the lower classes. hard to believe there are still a few WEC guys kicking around.

Dustin Poirier
Rani Yahya
Dom Cruz - Commentator

WEC Never Die

Wec_logo.jpg

Cub Swanson and Jose Aldo as well. Raphael Assuncao just recently retired.

There was some person on here who said that the WEC was a lowly regional promotion. I explained to them that they held events all over the United States and even in foreign countries which by definition isn’t “regional”. I then explained that they were owned by Zuffa and that their Bantamweight (Dominick Cruz) and Featherweight (Jose Aldo) champions automatically became UFC champions upon the merger. Two of their Lightweights (Benson Henderson & Anthony Pettis) also became UFC champions while Donald Cerrone was a title contender.

None of this made him change his stance that the WEC was a lowly regional promotion. So do you think the WEC was a regional promotion?
They started as a regional promotion and eventually became a premier organization. WEC used to hold their shows at Tachi Palace in CA if I recall correctly.

what year is it
I think WEC died 14 years ago

I was a big WEC fan, back in the day

It was a International Regional Manlet promotion

There's a reason multiple former WEC fighters won the LW belt in the UFC. Since that was the only weight class they had in common at the end, I think that really says everything.

UFC didn't have 135 or 145 before they folded WEC into UFC, so there's nothing there to even compare.

Cub Swanson and Jose Aldo as well. Raphael Assuncao just recently retired.
I was gonna put Raffy but checked and he is indeed retired Aldo just came back but he just wanted to finish out his contract so he could go box. I doubt we see him again and isn't Cub done too?

Let us not forget WEC Paulo Filho

He entered the WEC arguably the best fighter in the world at his weight... Filho was undefeated with EIGHT consecutive Pride wins.

No regional bloke.

Also consider that Lord Chael bent that man to his will in the Final WEC appearance for both of them.

Bonus Trivia: Glover is also a WEC vet.

I was gonna put Raffy but checked and he is indeed retired Aldo just came back but he just wanted to finish out his contract so he could go box. I doubt we see him again and isn't Cub done too?
He's scheduled to fight Andre Fili

I like how this is s thread for just one guy
@JustforBROCK

This is the right answer. At 145 and below it was THE organization in the americas. Even at 155 it was real strong. But above that it was starting to get more regional level the more you went up the scale.
Agreed, but should note the strong degree of respect Condit should get as well

Nope. Cub’s fighting Andre Fili pretty soon. A winnable fight for him I think.

I have a hard time seeing Aldo turning down a title shot or a #1 contender match if it’s offered to him just to continue fighting 6 round boxing matches against scrubs.

There's a reason multiple former WEC fighters won the LW belt in the UFC. Since that was the only weight class they had in common at the end, I think that really says everything.

UFC didn't have 135 or 145 before they folded WEC into UFC, so there's nothing there to even compare.
In the same way that people argued Pride talent over UFC at some point, what other promotions had worldwide respected 135/145 talent that people could argue was better than WEC?

My memory isn't great, but I think WEC was just THE premiere organization for those weights

WEC started off as a regional promotion here in California, and they were one of the best regionals around, but they grew into a national group with the investment from Zuffa

I still say WEC was the best promotion around based on talent and the actual shows they produced, every WEC card was met with high anticipation because of the masterful way they built storylines leading into the fights and every single card delivered nonstop fireworks top to bottom

I guess any regional event back then could've been bought by Zuffa. But it would also end up attracting the best fighters aka (managers/promoters) to it. Never heard this. Maybe someone was using improper terminology when describing wec?

Hell no, WEC was literally the UFC of lower weight classes and wasn't even a regional promotion. Look at most of the lower weight ATGs in the UFC and you'll notice basically every one of them came from WEC.

WEC was fire.

Let us not forget WEC Paulo Filho

He entered the WEC arguably the best fighter in the world at his weight... Filho was undefeated with EIGHT consecutive Pride wins.

No regional bloke.

Also consider that Lord Chael bent that man to his will in the Final WEC appearance for both of them.

Bonus Trivia: Glover is also a WEC vet.
Fihlo was addicted to teh past... illas. Bro.giphy (2) (1).gif

I associate WEC as top tier for lower weight classes and 2nd class for anyone 170 and above.

Back