Power difference between Gaethje and Dustin

Gaethje definitely hits harder, but Poirer is no slouch. Khabib said that Gaethje delivered the hardest punch that he ever had to eat.

Based on what?

Justin throws like a moron, so its true he swings harder - see him literally throw himself to the floor whiffing punches at Charles.

Dustin doesn't swing like a jackass and get out of position. When both Dustin and JG were in their prime, Dustin could take JG's shots, but the reverse wasn't true. JG got crumbled from Dustin's power shots.

I would summarize Dustin has better boxing power and JG has more one-shot power when he throws caution to the wind (which has failed pretty consistently against elite competition)

In any event, the reality is that Max is a tall string-bean at 145lbs, but does not have the size and physicality of a lightweight. If he took 6-8 months to move up in weight, he could make the right adjustments. This will instead look like a skinny featherweight fighting a full size lightweight and he will be under powered everywhere.

Gaethje is a reckless brute that hits hard, but it's about timing and placement too

Justin will hit you with more force, DP hits with a better structure. The difference is in where the shots land and how much hurt the shots that don't knock you out have.

Yeah, Max took a lot of damage against DP, but while he'll be hit relatively harder by Justin, it's likely he'll get hit relatively less.

Gaethje is a reckless brute that hits hard, but it's about timing and placement too
After the Dustin & Eddie losses he said he's working hard on timing and placement. It was hard to know whether he was all talk and full of shit or not, because he kept fighting lower tiered fighters and KTFO'ing them in the first.

Then he wrecked Tony, patiently. But....in hindsite, as we watch Tony, that becomes less and less impressive.

Then he whiffed hard against Oliveira & Khabib. But he also took round 1 off Khabib.

Then he showed patience, timing and placement against Fizeiv. Again with Dustin.

So where do all these data points leave us? It seems to me that he wasn't full of shit back in 2018-20 and he has focused on patience, timing, efficiency and placement. But when pressured by grapplers he easily falls back to older patterns.

But Holloway won't use offensive grappling.

I bet this fight goes to the judges, and comes down to power vs volume within any given 4 rounds. All sherdoggers will be pissed lol

This is interesting. Similar power levels, but different styles. JG has more brute strength but DP is faster, At range DP in close JG. This is exactly why we need a UFC combine style event. UFC rookies get standard physical output tests. Including the punchometer thingy.

I think poirier knockdown/out rate is more due to his precision and counter skills.
I can't prove it, but i think Gaethje have like 30-40% more Power, wich is a significant rate to me.

I'd have to go back and watch their fights; but my impression is that DP is more precise than JG.

We're gonna see whether JG can land flush on the button.

Max is getting older; so this is a very tough matchup for him.
Max gets older while Gaethje gets younger

Poirier is much more precise, a better combination puncher, and can stay disciplined even when he hurts his opponent.

Gaethje has the highest bone density in the UFC and is probably the hardest hitting active LW.

Poirier sets up his powershots well which gave Holloway a lot of trouble in the early rounds until he adjusted.

I have Gaethje winning a UD over Holloway as Holloway lately gets gunshy when outstruck.

A follow up thread to my thread about max and Gaethje. I watched the poirier max 236 highlights and I'm not sure how max took those shots against the fence.

Gaethje hits harder. But Dustin also has a very decent knockdown and knockout rate. My question is, how much more powerful than Dustin do you think Gaethje is? Is it a slight difference, significant or night and day? I can't imagine it being a significant difference. Poirier rocks everyone he hits cleanly, just like Gaethje does. Of course every fight is different and he could still knock max out.

I think Poirier hits harder.

It doesn't matter what Khabib said, Poirier never hit Khabib flush and clean like Gaethje did.

Also, concerning Holloway, keep in mind that Poirier has a longer reach and longer arms.
I think Poirier's physique + style was worse for Holloway's than Gaethje's.

Gaethje tends to load-up and telegraph his punches, whereas Max is smooth and high-volume.
Assuming Max is still in top form, he should out-punch Gaethje 3 to 1.

Still, Gaethje could chop at those legs, and clip Max with a good shot at any time, and Max also has a great chin, and even better stamina, so I think Max will outhustle Gaethje.

It's kind of a pickem fight tho.

Max gets older while Gaethje gets younger
Less impetuous in his approach.
Also, did you see his new “baby face.”

Dude looks 20 years younger just from shaving.

Max does seem to (not a a hill I’m willing to die on) “have more miles” on him, too.

Gaethje hits harder but Poirier is more precise

Dustbin and Gaethje are in Tempe same ballpark when it comes to power.
Max and Gaethje/Dustbin are not.

If Max pulls this off it will be an extraordinary achievement and will surpass any of Volks achievements arguably (providing JG doesn’t fight like a pussy which he never does!!!)

Less impetuous in his approach.
Also, did you see his new “baby face.”

Dude looks 20 years younger just from shaving.

Max does seem to (not a a hill I’m willing to die on) “have more miles” on him, too.
Yeah he looks much younger & much dumber now lol.

I think they have a similar amount of miles, if Gaethje doesn't have more. He took a TON of damage in WSOF, let alone the MJ/Eddie/Poirier wars. Khabib, Chandler, Fiziev, & Oliviera clubbed him pretty good too.

Gaethje has a slight reddish tinge to his hair. This is known to give a +25 to all critical strike damage rolls. Add the dexterity bonus because he is Mexican and it's clear Gaethje is the better fighter than Dustin.

Gaethje hits harder, because he more often overcommits on his punches, being off balance afterwards.
Poirier has more technical hands.

you guys dont take into account how these dudes throw their technique. dustin doesn't throw huge winging shots with everything he has and get out of position. gaetje does. i think thats an important disctinction

Yeah he looks much younger & much dumber now lol.

I think they have a similar amount of miles, if Gaethje doesn't have more. He took a TON of damage in WSOF, let alone the MJ/Eddie/Poirier wars. Khabib, Chandler, Fiziev, & Oliviera clubbed him pretty good too.

Absolutely!

My assumptions are pure supposition.
Gonna find out how right/wrong I am on the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back