Opinion POTWR 2019 Vol 10: What Do You Like About The War Room And What Would You Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What bothers me more than that kind of thing (which doesn't really happen to a large extent, anyway) is the reversals on *issues*. When I found the WR, right-wingers were all convinced that monetary policy was too loose. Sounds crazy now, but it was a really commonly expressed view that hyperinflation was just around the corner. I remember trying to explain the standard view, which was that the purpose of monetary policy is to regulate demand--we need it looser when we have a lot of unused capacity and tighter when we're at capacity and additional demand just drives prices up. Got called a "Bernanke shill" and variations of that for it (@Wingslaught can attest to that). Then as soon as the election happened, the professional right totally reversed on it, and even with very low unemployment, they were calling for *lower* rates, indicating that the concern was fake all along, and their position really just boils down to, "we should try to hurt the economy when a Democrat is in the WH and help it when a Republican is." The exact same thing happened with fiscal policy, when we were seeing people screech that high deficits caused by the GFC were an existential threat to the country that we needed to address immediately even though unemployment was high and most economists were calling for higher deficits. And then, with no rational justification for a switch, deficits suddenly stopped mattering in November 2016, and the Trump tax cut met almost no opposition from the "deficits are a catastrophe" people.

I really thought that people were just honestly getting things wrong, and that presenting the issues rationally would cause a change. But the immediate 180 that everyone took after the election suggests that at the level of professional pundit, they never bought it, and at the level of the typical WR poster, they just blindly trusted the pundits.
This really brings home just how bad both sides are.

Stop deleting comments that mods dont like (I have clearly upset one in here)
Get rid of those tags, they are worthless
Stop allowing people to blatantly ignore facts and post nonsense like, TDS and this is it

Stop deleting comments that mods dont like (I have clearly upset one in here)
Get rid of those tags, they are worthless
Stop allowing people to blatantly ignore facts and post nonsense like, TDS and this is it
Sounds like you're the one who's upset.

I would like the Debate League to make a comeback. With a lighter set of rules (assignment of both topic and stance randomly to those who volunteered - that will also make it easier to see the other side of issues and take 'losses' lighter).

I would like the Debate League to make a comeback. With a lighter set of rules (assignment of both topic and stance randomly to those who volunteered - that will also make it easier to see the other side of issues and take 'losses' lighter).
And we could debate other stuff too like sports and pro wrestling.

See objectively stone cold wasnt the best of all time and here I will cite Dave meltzer blog from 1998 for proof

I like that idea, but is there interest?

See objectively stone cold wasnt the best of all time and here I will cite Dave meltzer blog from 1998 for proof
I mean his peak was higher than anyone else. 80s Hogan easily wins when you factor in longevity though.

Yeah, and you're also comparable to Palis apparently. @Limbo Pete too.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back