Opinion POTWR 2019 Vol 10: What Do You Like About The War Room And What Would You Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of spastic "intellectuals" around here seemingly convulsing on their keyboards when trying to argue a point or make a reply.

Otherwise:

<Fedor23>

The one thing that bothers me about the War room.

I see all these posts ragging on others for one thing or another. You get flamed by one dude, but he doesn't get dubbed. So you retaliate, escalate then you do. It should just be civil conversation like my classes in political science but with less consequences for filter here you know that doesn't happen.

I just feel like I have to jump in and out of the WR with opinions without getting bogged down into a flame war over the hot topic of the hour so as to avoid the heat from the mods. I'm not even really sure what gets you dubbed in here at this point.

Maybe a little bit more clarification of the rules thread?

But I do love how much more lenient the mods here are compared to other political forums though, we get away with alot here.

Though I still don't understand why @Lead moved my "Would you compromise your politics for a woman" thread to the dump. I've seen lamer topics and off topics in every single sub forum. : (

The one thing that bothers me about the War room.

I see all these posts ragging on others for one thing or another. You get flamed by one dude, but he doesn't get dubbed. So you retaliate, escalate then you do. It should just be civil conversation like my classes in political science but with less consequences for filter here you know that doesn't happen.

I just feel like I have to jump in and out of the WR with opinions without getting bogged down into a flame war over the hot topic of the hour so as to avoid the heat from the mods. I'm not even really sure what gets you dubbed in here at this point.

Maybe a little bit more clarification of the rules thread?

But I do love how much more lenient the mods here are compared to other political forums though, we get away with alot here.

Though I still don't understand why @Lead moved my "Would you compromise your politics for a woman" thread to the dump. I've seen lamer topics and off topics in every single sub forum. : (

I didn’t move it.

Also, there is a guidelines sticky that would be pretty useful for helping how to avoid infractions for flaming and other issues.

I like the fact that we have a place to have immediate discussion about breaking news.

The recent suppression of memes on this forum needs to stop. It confesses an irrational fear of the ideas being spread by said memes.

Also, it needs to be said:

The fact that Homer is allowed back without any repercussions, yet Ripskater is still banned for an unspecified and undefined "toxic trolling" shows a clear bias on the part of the moderators.

Last edited:
Bring back Ripskater and RR obviously. (and for you Mods who have been silent about RR, shame on you. grow some fu*king balls)

and seriously, ban obvious troll accounts like @kenetics and @WarDosAnjos .

Can you link some posts of kenetics' that make you think that? I don't have a great recollection of his work, but from what I do remember, it seems OK. RR was a long-time troll who was obviously abusing his powers and then threw a crazy tantrum after losing them. Don't see how that could have gone any differently unless the administrators were just going to ditch the whole forum.

For me, the worst thing (and this is a general human-nature thing more than a WR-specific thing, but wait) is what I'd call "invisible dragons," after Carl Sagan's parable.

People aggressively advance beliefs that have no interaction with the real world. Good example was early in Trump's presidency when the stock market was up a bit. People would insist that it was *because* of Trump for some reason, and you'd ask, "OK, so that means you expect continued outperformance as long as he's in office?" "No no, that's not predictable." Or when people were insisting that Clinton was some kind of criminal because she wasn't careful enough with her emails. After she was cleared, it just led to conspiracy theories. I think that if there's a disagreement, people should ask "how do our differing models lead to different expectations and/or predictions?" and then test that. But a lot of people deliberately craft their positions to *avoid* testing them (or sometimes make excuses after the fact), which essentially makes those positions meaningless, though people still hold to them with extreme passion and hatred for people who don't agree. That kind of thing happens everyone in discussions about every topic, but it's a much greater problem in politics and religion than on any other topic, and it feeds on itself so it's a big problem here.

The best thing is just the posters. Lots of really great contributors that one can learn a lot from reading.

I like it in general, especially the lounge. The tone is more intellectual but also lighter. The riff raff generally stay out of there.
If I could change things, there would be an order of magnitude more yellow cards and ban hammers flying around, but I also have enough self awareness to admit that I'm the last person who should be given any sort of power.

The recent suppression of memes on this forum needs to stop. It confesses an irrational fear of the ideas being spread by said memes.

Yes, this is it. @Lead always deletes my memes and says "go to the meme thread" because he's really worried that people are going to believe that @Fawlty is a retarded Spongebob.

Also, you can visit the meme thread to verify that literally no one in your tribe is spreading idea or information via memes: they're spreading disinformation and the absence of ideas.

Can you link some posts of kenetics' that make you think that? I don't have a great recollection of his work, but from what I do remember, it seems OK. RR was a long-time troll who was obviously abusing his powers and then threw a crazy tantrum after losing them. Don't see how that could have gone any differently unless the administrators were just going to ditch the whole forum.

For me, the worst thing (and this is a general human-nature thing more than a WR-specific thing, but wait) is what I'd call "invisible dragons," after Carl Sagan's parable.

People aggressively advance beliefs that have no interaction with the real world. Good example was early in Trump's presidency when the stock market was up a bit. People would insist that it was *because* of Trump for some reason, and you'd ask, "OK, so that means you expect continued outperformance as long as he's in office?" "No no, that's not predictable." Or when people were insisting that Clinton was some kind of criminal because she wasn't careful enough with her emails. After she was cleared, it just led to conspiracy theories. I think that if there's a disagreement, people should ask "how do our differing models lead to different expectations and/or predictions?" and then test that. But a lot of people deliberately craft their positions to *avoid* testing them (or sometimes make excuses after the fact), which essentially makes those positions meaningless, though people still hold to them with extreme passion and hatred for people who don't agree. That kind of thing happens everyone in discussions about every topic, but it's a much greater problem in politics and religion than on any other topic, and it feeds on itself so it's a big problem here.

The best thing is just the posters. Lots of really great contributors that one can learn a lot from reading.

Next time Kenetics something absurd, I'm going to tag you.

He's obviously someone on the far right, trying to make all liberals/leftists look dumb. He's slightly less egregious and obvious than WardosAnjos

Next time Kenetics something absurd, I'm going to tag you.

He's obviously someone on the far right, trying to make all liberals/leftists look dumb. He's slightly less egregious and obvious than WardosAnjos
Lol... why waste that energy? This poster you're replying too knows all of this. He himself is one of those, just less egregious and blatant.

What do I like about the War Room? The differing personalities. The over the top cuckdom. The spitefulness of those who are perennial losers in this sub forum and out in the real world.

The agony bestowed upon those who are suffering from TDS. Every post they make is full of vitriol and angst. Unbeknownst to themselves through a low level lack of self-awareness, they provide ample entertainment writhing about as lesser beings.

Should the tables turn, should the uncouth and the lower class gain power they would have a different approach. While I am for free speech or rather, leaving a documented trail of ignorant legacy for the TDSers, should they assume power they would ban and suppress any differing opinion.

Take Pigus for example, his post literally itt admits he would suppress and ban people at will. He is as far left as it gets, so we all know who he would burn as did the Mad King once.

I, honorable Warlord Palis, first of my name, former First President of the War Room and protector of the Sherdog realm, would never ban at will, would never suppress those of differing ideas with never a real report to my name.

Those that do indeed deserve justice deserve so not out of pettiness nor personal grudge, but out of council and unequivocal fact that they have violated the law. Trolls, usurpers, oathbreakers... the dishonorable. With that said the current modship has been forthright and true. It's a positive I can vouch for overall in the WR.

Nobody is perfect, mistakes have been made. In the case of Ripskater vs HomerThompson, Rip may have been unjustly banned. From all accounts from people he was real, he was never toxic, however he ruffled feathers and a personal grudge may have got the best of someone. MAY have. However, this was his 2nd time banned, he was given a chance already. As far as my history tells me of the fallen President Homerthompson, he has been banned once and resurrected with a second chance. Others have been given 2nd chances, it's fine, it's part of this community. Given Ripskater's double bans it maybe much harder to lobby for a 3rd chance for the guy, even if he means well.

Another tidbit I like about the War Room is the cross forum interest it brings. I know I maybe patting myself on the back here a little bit but I feel like I helped bridge a gap with the WR and the Sportsbar. We now see regular postings from such high intellectuals like @Revolver , @faustian and @TribalDrumz . It's good to have differing opinions chime in for all of history to record! You get too see how far out of their element some really are. I even noticed a lot of WR regulars vaguely posting in the Sportsbar where they once wouldn't dare. For the most part, despite them never gritting through an athletic endeavor it's been most fun to watch them grow and learn.

Thank you @Cubo de Sangre for restoring strength and honor to the Presidency. Relinking what it is to be to lead the War Room with a pure name, unsullied by yellows as a true ruler should.

Is he talking about Rip? Now that his being a troll has been officially exposed (by whatever mod, think it was Bam, that said he found out personal details about him and he was an educated liberal), I don't see the point of him coming back.
He's talking about RR.

Cut down on hysterical threads, which are often created in bunches by the same handful of posters.

Also, yellows for bad-faith posts.

He's talking about RR.

Oh. In that case, it could go either way imo. The place clearly meant a lot to the guy, but that also means being booted probably bruised his ego something nasty.

Cut down on hysterical threads, which are often created in bunches by the same handful of posters.

Also, yellows for bad-faith posts.
Every rightwing poster in here would have yellows within a week if this was seriously implemented. I'd be happy to see habitual bad faith posters actually get carded going forward.

Every rightwing poster in here would have yellows within a week if this was seriously implemented. I'd be happy to see habitual bad faith posters actually get carded going forward.
Tbf I think virtually every WR poster would receive yellows under this rule, but the point would be to force more meaningful discussion moving forward.

Bring back Ripskater and RR obviously. (and for you Mods who have been silent about RR, shame on you. grow some fu*king balls)

and seriously, ban obvious troll accounts like @kenetics and @WarDosAnjos .

they are ridiculous caricatures and offer nothing that forwards honest debate.

and rein in some of the power happy mods who delete comments, and shut down threads for no justified reason.

Ban me for arguing against the racist and bigots on these forums? SMH lol.

I love this sub. I even love the posters I hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back