Media Poirier opens as a heavy underdog vs Khabib

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
Dustin was an underdog against Max too. He didn't care then, and he won't care when he fights Khabib.
whether he cares or not doesnt matter. i picked dustin to beat max. check my threads. he literally has like 5% chance of beating khabib. it wont be competitive

It’s about where he ended up against Max. I think that’s actually pretty respectful to Dustin given how easy KN has made it look against RDA, MJ, Barboza, Raging, and Conor.

I thought I might get a much higher number, at which point I wouldn’t mind a punt on DP.

You’ve gotta be able to hurt Khabib in order to keep him off you. Poirier has shown that he carries his power into the deep waters even when he’s taking a lot of damage (Gaethje fight for example). If Poirier can get to the 3rd the way McGregor did I think he can dig much deeper than McGregor did. Khabib would be wise not to take any rounds off. And of course there’s also the chance that Dustin can catch him with something early and change (or even end) the fight. Khabib seems to have a good chin, but the best part about it is that opponents can’t hit it when they’re on their back. Eventually someone is going to clip him and hurt him.
khabib will outstrike dustin and out wrestle him. by the time khabib is striking with dustin it will be too late for him.

Al is a better grappler? lol wut.
Poirier is a black belt bruh.

you not knowing that tells me you didn't put much effort or actual research Into this "analysis"

Khabib wins but Poirier is tough. I don't think It will be an easy fight.
black belt means nothing. matt hughes subbed ricardo almeida into retirement. Al trains with Serra-renzo. most schools wont give you belts unless you train gi. training gi is a waste of time for mma.

Dustin will KO Khabib. People are sleeping on this guy. Conor is too slow on the draw to let out his offence. Khabib just has to shoot for the single and it's game over. DP will be swinging for the bleachers. Michael Johnson hit Khabib pretty clean and i see the same thing happening here with Poirer.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

zXoaR42.jpg

I was a big fan of Khabib wrecking Conor, but now I hope that Dustin catches Khabib & beats him. I know it's highly unlikely, but i'd love to see it. Khabib's talk about a couple fights then retiring & tweeting that he thought the Dustin/Max fight was a draw, just rubbed me the wrong way. Dustin will definitely give Khabib more trouble than Max would have, but I really want to see Tony or Gaethje fight Khabib too. Khabib just seems like he wants to retire undefeated without actually being tested enough, the guy has only fought 1 or maybe 2 legitimate top 5 at LW so far. If he's so dominant, then he shouldn't have any fear or hesitation about clearing out the division.
who said he has fear clearing out the division and rankings dont matter. khabib beat rda, conor, MJ was 5 barboza was 5, al is 4.

I honestly believe that Khabib Nurmagomedov can beat Dustin Poirier by just jabbing him for 5 rounds. The only skills I saw from Dustin Poirier versus Max Hollway are (1) Dustin can hit hard and (2) Dustin was able to maintain his cardio by pinning Max against the fence at the end of most rounds, so he could get a few more minutes of rest before the end of rounds.

Can Dustin Poirier throw a lucky shot that KO's Khabib, yes. However, Khabib has pretty good striking defense. He doesn't take too many clean shots.

Will Dustin Poirier be able to maintain his cardio by pinning Khabib against the fence, to get a few breathers before the end of the round? No.

I agree with him being a massive underdog, because all he has is a puncher's chance against a dude who is not easy to hit.

black belt means nothing. matt hughes subbed ricardo almeida into retirement. Al trains with Serra-renzo. most schools wont give you belts unless you train gi. training gi is a waste of time for mma.
There's a lot wrong with this but I'll focus on the obvious. You stated Al Is the better grappler than Poirier. This is not true

He can do that, but he can't pretend to be the next GSP, who actually cleared out the division. If you retire & there are literally like 5 or 6 top contenders & killers who you never faced, then you're not a GOAT. Period, end of story. And that bullshit about a Mayweather fight, that was some pathetic ass shit, lost a lot of respect for Khabib because of that.
there will always be killers. literally no matter how many people you beat. this is LW not LHW. Twood clear 2 top contenders and out of nowhere usman, colby, ponzi, till popped up. and this will keep happening.

khabib will outstrike dustin and out wrestle him. by the time khabib is striking with dustin it will be too late for him.

That’s possible. It’s really difficult to plant to throw down on a guy when you’re constantly in fear on spending the next 3-5 minutes on your back.

Honestly though, I think it’s only a matter of time until Khabib stands with someone too long and gets cracked. He did a lot of standing with Al and Conor and lived to tell the tale. Anyone would start to get lackadaisical. (He’s also got that stupid idea of boxing Floyd playing around up there).

Khabib will rightfully be favored against anyone in the world, but this is still MMA.

who said he has fear clearing out the division and rankings dont matter. khabib beat rda, conor, MJ was 5 barboza was 5, al is 4.
You’ve got a point. I think Khabib was fighting killers before he got that belt. Ever since, all I hear is how he’s going to retire soon & he wants to fight a 50 year old Mayweather. Not to mention he was hoping to fight Max, who’s a 145er. If Khabib gets back to his old ways & faces the current top 5 at LW, then I’ll be impressed again. I just don’t like the direction he’s been going after the Conor fight.

There's a lot wrong with this but I'll focus on the obvious. You stated Al Is the better grappler than Poirier. This is not true
it is true.
That’s possible. It’s really difficult to plant to throw down on a guy when you’re constantly in fear on spending the next 3-5 minutes on your back.

Honestly though, I think it’s only a matter of time until Khabib stands with someone too long and gets cracked. He did a lot of standing with Al and Conor and lived to tell the tale. Anyone would start to get lackadaisical. (He’s also got that stupid idea of boxing Floyd playing around up there).

Khabib will rightfully be favored against anyone in the world, but this is still MMA.
whats your point

he could lose someday.... no shit lol.

I think it will be one of the easier fights in the last couple of years for khabib. DP is a better grappler than MJ but a worse wrestler. Al is better everywhere when it comes to take downs and grappling. Edson is a harder fighter to takedown than Poirier. i see a bad bad beating for dustin.

Show us these fights where MJ and Barboza have ever used their wrestling. They are like turtles once you get then on their back.

I know Khabib is a different animal, but who has taken DP down and controlled him? I really can't remember it happening.

Show us these fights where MJ and Barboza have ever used their wrestling. They are like turtles once you get then on their back.
Poirier might be a better grappler off his back, but Barboza and MJ definitely have better TDD.

The odds won’t move farther apart as more and more people will bet on Dustin.

I think Dustin should be a 3-1 underdog but the line will move closer as the fight closes in. Same thing happened in the Mcgregor fight

Lol at comparing it to Conor. I can guarantee you Dustin will be bigger underdog than +205 on a fight night.

whether he cares or not doesnt matter. i picked dustin to beat max. check my threads. he literally has like 5% chance of beating khabib. it wont be competitive

5% is silly, I’m sorry. That’s 19 times out of 20.

It will become almost even come fight night. Dustin is legit
Lol, nobody will be betting on Dustin. Will be surprised if this doesn't end up at +350 or higher by fight night

Poirier might be a better grappler off his back, but Barboza and MJ definitely have better TDD.

Barboza absolutely does not. He has lost or looked bad against every wrestler he has faced. There's nothing special about MJ's wrestling either. Neither of them are comfortable in prolonged grappling exchanges. Poirier is.

Back