Media Poirier opens as a heavy underdog vs Khabib

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
I feel basically the exact same way as you & agree with pretty much everything you just said. I hope it’s mostly talk, because I really want to see Khabib get tested by the top 5, now that he has the belt. It would be a shame if he retires in a couple fights, I just wanna see the guy show us how good he is & if he’s truly 1 of the GOATs.

He’s just about GOAT-worthy already in my opinion. What you do as champion definitely matters, but so does your entire resume.

Let’s ignore the travesty of BJ’s later career and focus on his lightweight prime. Pulver, Stevenson, Sherk, Florian, Sanchez, all by very dominant stoppage. Then two losses to Edgar. He stopped some other very good lightweights earlier in his career, and it’s up to each individual person to decide how much weight—if any—to place on his welterweight work.

Frankie Edgar beat a lot of solid lightweights as well, though in far less dominant fashion. Jim Miller, Tyson Griffin, Spencer Fisher, Sean Sherk, Hermes Franca, 1-1-1 vs Maynard, and of course BJ twice before 0-2 vs Henderson.

Henderson has Diaz, Melendez, Guida, Edgar 2x, Cerrone 2x (should be 3 IMO) , Josh Thompson, Jim Miller, Jaime Varner.

By comparison, Khabib has RDA, MJ, Barboza, Raging, and Conor. I’d say he’s been more dominant against those 5 than Edgar and Bendo were if you let them pick the best five fights of their career. BJ’s peak was slightly more ferocious. But of course what sets Khabib apart—in both ways—is being undefeated. If all else were equal you’d have to say that if peaks are close then no losses has to be the tiebreaker. But first we need to see if Khabib’s Edgar/Bendo/Pettis is out there. If Poirier or Ferguson beats Khabib twice, then he loses once or twice more and retires or moves up to welterweight, it’s a mess again. But if he beats Poirier and Ferguson I think he takes the crown for sure, almost regardless of what comes after that.

And by the way, I think Tony Ferguson is in the mix too. At some point he probably needs to win the belt for most people, but I think what he’s done the past five fights is nearly as good as many guys’ title reigns.

I see you like looking up records instead of watching fights. Dariush was decisively beating Barboza before he got hit with that knee. Also you're exposing your lack of knowledge by bringing up rookie Poirier's losses from years ago as if he's the exact same guy today.

Unlike you I've actually followed these guys for their entire careers. Again, you're a fool for bringing up Barboza's wrestling as it's clearly an issue he's struggled with over and over.
I definitely watched that Barboza fight, and no he was not decisively losing against Dariush until before that knee, not even close. Dariush was doing good forward pressuring him but Barboza started pouring it on with his boxing in the later rounds and successfully timed the knee to KO Dariush. Barboza sucks at keeping his back off the fence, but his TDD is definitely not bad.

Barboza absolutely does not. He has lost or looked bad against every wrestler he has faced. There's nothing special about MJ's wrestling either. Neither of them are comfortable in prolonged grappling exchanges. Poirier is.
Barbosa wasn't taken down for 5 years before the khabib fight. He had 89% tdd highest in lw at the time. Barbosa is by far harder to td tjan poirier.

I would have expected dustin to be at like +400

Barbosa wasn't taken down for 5 years before the khabib fight. He had 89% tdd highest in lw at the time. Barbosa is by far harder to td tjan poirier.

That is not true. For fucks sake stop looking up stats and watch his fights. Wrestlers are his kryptonite. They either take him down or are able to make him uncomfortable on the feet because he isn't nearly as effective against fighters who won't give him space.

Last edited:
That is not true. For fucks sake stop looking up stats and watch his fights. Wrestlers are his kryptonite. They either take him down or are able to make him uncomfortable on the feet because he isn't nearly as effective against fighters who won't give him space.
this is true. he wasnt taken down in 5 years. youre the one making shit up im the one talking facts. barbosas kryptonite isnt wrestlers. most wrestlers cant even take him down. his kryptonite is pressure. Tony didnt outwrestle him. take away his kicks and hes mediocre. however facts remain hes way harder to takedown than DP and just cause khabib/lee did it (two elite wrestlers) doesnt mean DP isnt getting taken down even easier. DP is getting taken down like its child play. he already got outwrestled by a few guys in FW. btw barboza is also way physically stronger than DP.

The "whole fight" will probably be two rounds, then Poirier's corner throws in the towel or Dustin's eyes are swollen shut and the doc calls the fight off

I'd almost like to be wrong because I'd like to see Khabib challenged, but I think Tony is the only one that has a good chance to truly challenge Khabib
Lol Khabib has 3 finishes in like 6 years. I’m pretty sure Dustin will be alright. Sub Conor, Sub MJ, and finished Horcher.

Do people forget that Dustin has good cardio and is a legit bjj black belt in GI, not some bs black belt for having some sub wins.

Lol Khabib has 3 finishes in like 6 years. I’m pretty sure Dustin will be alright. Sub Conor, Sub MJ, and finished Horcher.

Do people forget that Dustin has good cardio and is a legit bjj black belt in GI, not some bs black belt for having some sub wins.
nogi > gi for MMA. i have seen black belts tapped by blue/purple belts who do mostly nogi.

nogi > gi for MMA. i have seen black belts tapped by blue/purple belts who do mostly nogi.
Except he doesn’t no gi too.... I’m just pointing out how he is a legit bjj black belt. Not some nogi guy with a few sub wins and a bs black belt.

He just doesn’t use his grappling much because his boxing is so crisp.

no surprise there. until someone manages to stuff khabib's TDs he's going to be a big favorite against all comers.

Except he doesn’t no gi too.... I’m just pointing out how he is a legit bjj black belt. Not some nogi guy with a few sub wins and a bs black belt.

He just doesn’t use his grappling much because his boxing is so crisp.
nogi > gi for MMA. this is a fact. stop talking shit as if nogi is some sort of a shit form of grappling. if anything gi is shit for mma and is completely unnecessary which is why most fighters dont do GI AT ALL anymore.

Khabib should handle Dustin, but the oddsmakers are going to leave some wiggle room so the lines can move freely in either direction, especially for a big fight, where a lot of money will be bet.
And it is a championship fight, Poirier is defnitely an underdog, but anything can happen, he didn't get here by chance. He has dynamite in his hands, so a few good punches could change the direction of the fight. Just purely logical though, Khabib should dominate him.

I'm not convinced that Dustin can win even the stand up against Khabib.

I always laugh when I hear this statistic.

Cowboy dropped him with a jab then choked him out in the first round. Ferguson hurt him then choked him out in the second round. Michael Johnson of all people punched his head in with complete impunity. Varner knocked him out in the first round.

Khabib had the least impressive with over Barboza compared to his peers, and they all did it before Khabib. If you are getting dropped and tapped out, you don't need to get taken down.

FFS.

Khabib had the least impressive with over Barboza compared to his peers, and they all did it before Khabib.
FFS.
Barboza went into the matchup, on a three fight streak, with wins over Pettis, Melendez and Dariush. Khabib's peers may of did it before him, but the version of Barboza Khabib faced was arguably better..

Barboza went into the matchup, on a three fight streak, with wins over Pettis, Melendez and Dariush. Khabib's peers may of did it before him, but the version of Barboza Khabib faced was arguably better..

Pettis and Melendez on multi-year career spirals. For crying out loud just look it up if you don't follow the sport closely. Gilbert lost 3 of his last 4 when he fought Barboza. He then lost again immediately after, making a proper 4 fight losing streak.

He was the third consecutive guy to beat Pettis, who is currently on a 4-6 streak. Pettis hasn't won two fights in a row since 2014.

Almost as a rule, Barboza loses to elite fighters. Generally they put him away. Khabib was the least impressive of his peers to beat Barboza. JG just shut his lights off in a single round.

Back