Media Poirier opens as a heavy underdog vs Khabib

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
The RDA he fought was not the same one that became champ. Khabib would still beat him though because anyone wig decent takedowns pretty much beats RDA The physique difference is extremely significant. Pat Healy is a B level fighter. Trujillo is a b level fighter. Tavares is a b level fighter.....

I want to see him against a proven solid wrestler or grappler in MMA.
Khabib was RDA's only defeat in the span of 11 fights. Only a year after Khabib fought him, RDA became champ..
Khabib-RDA win streak.png

Does that mean you disagree?
Watch the fight. Besides the choke at the very end of the round, Poirier was never even close to be finished. Not sure what you’re smoking or if you just love Holloway too much, but the dude got beat soundly. There was no question about it, & Poirier was never close to finished.

Watch the fight. Besides the choke at the very end of the round, Poirier was never even close to be finished. Not sure what you’re smoking or if you just love Holloway too much, but the dude got beat soundly. There was no question about it, & Poirier was never close to finished.

Well, I remember Poirier in trouble at the end of one of the rounds where he looked like he was barely on his feet.
This seems to be true especially after listening to Poirier after the fight when he mentioned that Max caught him with couple of good shots at one point and he had to dig deep to continue fighting. Looks like maybe you haven't watched the interview and you don't recall the moment I'm speaking of either.

Yeah RDA has an elite defensive guard but he really is just good at avoiding damage and causing a stalemate. That's why his fight with Khabib was so boring.

Khabib may well deal with more offensive minded guard players (even really good ones) easily. My point is just that we haven't seen him have to do it yet.
You keep bringing the tibau stuff. Tony was slammed taken down and control then won a robbery with danny Castilo. Spent 3 rounds on his back but won. Tony was also beat by Johnson and three other guys. "Elite guard player" there's no such thing. Everyone wants to be on top. Submissions aren't the only thing to win a grappling match. Getting a sub when you're on bottom is way harder which is why even guys like maia even when pulling guard they use it to sweep and later get on top. Khabib isn't getting swept by tony and unless khabib gasses tony is submitting him not even in his wildest dreams. The only reason he submitted lee is cause he gassed not cause of his superior guard skills. Being on top will always be more advantageous and safesafe being on bottom. If you're betting on a tony submission from bottom then it ain't happening.

Well, I remember Poirier in trouble at the end of one of the rounds where he looked like he was barely on his feet.
This seems to be true especially after listening to Poirier after the fight when he mentioned that Max caught him with couple of good shots at one point and he had to dig deep to continue fighting. Looks like maybe you haven't watched the interview and you don't recall the moment I'm speaking of either.
I remember the whole fight & I remember when Poirier said that. He was simply giving Max some props & was showing how he had to dig deep, but he never mentioned ‘almost being out’. It really sounds like you don’t even know what you‘re talking about, because you’re not citing a specific round, you’re just saying ‘I think i remember in 1 of the rounds’. Which round then? When did it happen? How did you see that Dustin was “barely on his feet”? You’re just either making stuff up, or completely remembering something that never happened because you love Holloway so much. Dustin was never “almost out”, that’s the dumbest thing I heard & no one besides you has ever said that about the fight. What were you watching bro? If you think Dustin was almost out, then I guess Max was like the walking dead after he got hit with so many bombs in the first 2 rounds, dude looked like his face got run over by a truck.

Last edited:
I remember the whole fight & I remember when Poirier said that. He was simply giving Max some props & was showing how he had to dig deep, but he never mentioned ‘almost being out’. It really sounds like you don’t even know what you‘re talking about, because you’re not citing a specific round, you’re just saying ‘I think i remember in 1 of the rounds’. Which round then? When did it happen? How did you see that Dustin was “barely on his feet”? You’re just either making stuff up, or completely remembering something that never happened because you love Holloway so much. Dustin was never “almost out”, that’s the dumbest thing I heard & no one besides you has ever said that about the fight. What were you watching bro? If you think Dustin was almost out, then I guess Max was like the walking dead after he got hit with so many bombs in the first 2 rounds, dude looked like his face got run over by a truck.
He was about to get finished whether you wanna accept it or not anyway hes the superior fighter regardless.

Here's how the fight went.

Dustin completely dominated the first.

The second, Max was slowly taking over until Dustin lit him up near the end of the round. The damage that Dustin did in the end there was more than enough to steal the round. For a while though, even the commentators were questioning whether Dustin punched himself out.

Max won the third. He had Dustin covering up against the fence and hurt. It didn't look as brutal as Dustin's shots but Dustin said it himself; he had to dig deep to not let the fight slip away.

Max was also winning the early parts of round 4 until Dustin landed that knee. Even then, Max continued to push the pace to the point where Dustin had to hold Max against the cage to get a breather. That got him stuck in the submission. A large number of people still gave Max that round. Personally, I scored it for Dustin.

Dustin won round 5.

You keep bringing the tibau stuff. Tony was slammed taken down and control then won a robbery with danny Castilo. Spent 3 rounds on his back but won. Tony was also beat by Johnson and three other guys. "Elite guard player" there's no such thing. Everyone wants to be on top. Submissions aren't the only thing to win a grappling match. Getting a sub when you're on bottom is way harder which is why even guys like maia even when pulling guard they use it to sweep and later get on top. Khabib isn't getting swept by tony and unless khabib gasses tony is submitting him not even in his wildest dreams. The only reason he submitted lee is cause he gassed not cause of his superior guard skills. Being on top will always be more advantageous and safesafe being on bottom. If you're betting on a tony submission from bottom then it ain't happening.

I don't always bring up the Tibau fight. I was using it to point out that's probably the last time we DIDN'T see Khabib look dominant. That was my point. Castillo didn't get robbed LMAO. Guess how many sig strikes he landed after his TD? Zero. That's right...NONE! Tony at least landed a few solid elbows off his back. Danny literally did NOTHING. Plus just like the Khabib/Tibau fight, it was forever ago. Irrelevant.

As for the other point, all I was saying is that we have yet to see how Khabib deals with a good grappler who's aggressive off his back. Not that Khabib cant handle it, just that we haven't seen it. I actually agree that if Tony finds a sub vs Khabib it'd very likely because he's figured out a way to make Khabib exhausted. Otherwise it will be really tough to even get close to subbing him.

He was about to get finished whether you wanna accept it or not anyway hes the superior fighter regardless.
When exactly was this phantom near finish that you mention? Do you mean in the 3rd round when Max was throwing down combos & Dustin was blocking / taking some shots? There was never anything close to a ‘near finish’, so I really don’t know what you’re smoking brohan.

Dude, relax. You are taking this way too personally. All I wanted to say is that I believe Max was close to finishing Dustin and that a lot of people, like you, seem to overlook that. You know better what Dustin meant than Dustin. Props for that. I won't argue with you because you sound like you are triggered by every response that's not matching how you view it. You want I give you exact second of where I think the "near finish" happened? No. Why? Because I don't fucking care that much to go back and find it. If I was mistaken, I was mistaken. But I remember this moment clearly and I'm also trusting that Dustin wouldn't just say so to be kind. If I'm mistaken, I'm mistaken.
Just chill the fuck out dude.

Max looked so much smaller fighting at 155. His size at 145 is a big reason why he is so dangerous. I dont think that win erases any of my opinions on how Khabib would do against Dustin even if I thought Max would stop Dustin late.

Nah. Tony won that fighter easily. Danny just lay on him. Kinda controlled but never advanced position, didn't look for a submission and didn't throw any strikes. Ref did a poor job and should have kept standing them up.

This ain't Prison Rules.

Tony was pretty active on the bottom and tried to make a fight of it but Danny was just a big wet duvet.

Dude, relax. You are taking this way too personally. All I wanted to say is that I believe Max was close to finishing Dustin and that a lot of people, like you, seem to overlook that. You know better what Dustin meant than Dustin. Props for that. I won't argue with you because you sound like you are triggered by every response that's not matching how you view it. You want I give you exact second of where I think the "near finish" happened? No. Why? Because I don't fucking care that much to go back and find it. If I was mistaken, I was mistaken. But I remember this moment clearly and I'm also trusting that Dustin wouldn't just say so to be kind. If I'm mistaken, I'm mistaken.
Just chill the fuck out dude.
I’m chill as a bowl of kush. I’m just calling you out on your bs. Obviously you did make a mistake, so let’s leave it at that.

Not that bad and sounds about right.

Poor DDP....when you compare what just happened and what will likely happen.

Still...Can’t count him out completely though.

I’m surprised Khabib isn’t a bigger favourite.

When TS saidd heavy underdog I thought he meant about +600 or at least +400. +240 aint that big of a deal. Thats good money On Khabib.

Back