Media Poirier opens as a heavy underdog vs Khabib

• Thread starter Deleted member 556651
  • Start date
I always laugh when I hear this statistic.

Cowboy dropped him with a jab then choked him out in the first round. Ferguson hurt him then choked him out in the second round. Michael Johnson of all people punched his head in with complete impunity. Varner knocked him out in the first round.

Khabib had the least impressive with over Barboza compared to his peers, and they all did it before Khabib. If you are getting dropped and tapped out, you don't need to get taken down.

FFS.
no one beat barboza like khabib. sure ferguson choked him out but he was getting lit up. funny youre talking about stats and how they dont tell the whole story when most of the fighters you named didnt dominate barboza like khabib and have been beaten by MJ of all people. LOL. khabib doesnt just beat ppl, its not a back and forth fight that he wins eventually. its a one sided beat down where the opponent looks like he never belonged in there with him.

plus khabib has already 2 wins over 2 guys the koed poirier STIFF. and 1 win over the guy who beat Tony.

no one beat barboza like khabib.

You are right. Most of his peers STOPPED Barboza, and Khabib had to take him to a decision.

JG literally just wiped him out in the first round. Cowboy dropped him with a jab and put him away in the first round. Ferguson put him away in the second round. FFS Michael Johnson of all people beat the brakes off him.

Khabib is a very dominant wrestler but he's not been a good finisher in the UFC, and he doesn't have the most impressive strength of schedule.

Everybody beats Barboza.

I think Khabib is going to win. However.....

Anyone who thinks this is his easiest fight doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Dustin is legit and he’s going to make Khabib work for his win. It will be one of Khabib’s tougher fights

-240 Khabib is the safe bet but if Dustin gets over +300 there might be some value there.

You are right. Most of his peers STOPPED Barboza, and Khabib had to take him to a decision.

JG literally just wiped him out in the first round. Cowboy dropped him with a jab and put him away in the first round. Ferguson put him away in the second round. FFS Michael Johnson of all people beat the brakes off him.

Khabib is a very dominant wrestler but he's not been a good finisher in the UFC, and he doesn't have the most impressive strength of schedule.

Everybody beats Barboza.
and everybody is unbeaten as khabib and isnt as dominant. case closed.

If it goes +300, might be worth to throw in 100 bucks on Dustin

Everybody beats Barboza.
Context matters though. Khabib beat Barboza while he was on his best streak in the UFC, beating Pettis, Gilbert, and Dariush.

Also, MJ of all people beat Tony and Dustin too. Do they suck?

Dustin has a good as a chance as anyone at 155lb. On the perfect day it only takes one punch and Dustin is great at exchange in the pocket, I don't think Khabib will give him that opportunity though with his speed and tenacity, it will be too much pressure for Dustin to put together well timed shots.

I think Ferguson or maybe even Gaethje are Khabibs hardest match ups but even then I don't give either of them much of a chance. A catch weight super fight with Askren is probably Khabibs hardest match up.

no one beat barboza like khabib. sure ferguson choked him out but he was getting lit up. funny youre talking about stats and how they dont tell the whole story when most of the fighters you named didnt dominate barboza like khabib and have been beaten by MJ of all people. LOL. khabib doesnt just beat ppl, its not a back and forth fight that he wins eventually. its a one sided beat down where the opponent looks like he never belonged in there with him.

plus khabib has already 2 wins over 2 guys the koed poirier STIFF. and 1 win over the guy who beat Tony.

Tony wasn't "getting lit up". It was back and forth for sure, but Tony was dealing more damage than he was taking.

I do agree about how Khabib's fights have looked though (assuming we're talking about more recent ones and not Tibau, maybe Trujillo to a lesser degree). That said, Khabib hasn't fought anyone who has any sort of offensive ability off their back. He may shut that down too, but nobody he's fought is an elite guard player.

It really wasn't that close. Watch some of the replays and watch some different angles. Often when Max was throwing volume, he was missing, grazing or hitting Dustin's arms. When Dustin landed, he was often landing squarely on Max. Just so happens that Max literally has an iron chin, 1 of the most unbelievable chins in the UFC i'd say. Dustin actually had boxing defense, so he didn't take nearly as many shots. It's a fight, so volume in & of itself doesn't mean much, it's about who landed & who did damage. Dustin wrecked Max, just look at Max's face by the end.

You are right but many people forget that at one point Max almost finished Dustin. And I'm not talking about the choke.

Tony wasn't "getting lit up". It was back and forth for sure, but Tony was dealing more damage than he was taking.

I do agree about how Khabib's fights have looked though (assuming we're talking about more recent ones and not Tibau, maybe Trujillo to a lesser degree). That said, Khabib hasn't fought anyone who has any sort of offensive ability off their back. He may shut that down too, but nobody he's fought is an elite guard player.
Not entirely true, RDA has a great defensive guard, but he doesn't really threaten with subs. The reason why I don't see Ferguson or someone like Nate doing much to Khabib from their guard is because Khabib will pass their guard. Ferguson got passed by Lee 3 times and got mounted. Khabib passed RDA's guard 6 times. RDA's guard retention > Ferguson's. Once Khabib passes into half guard or side control, Ferguson will be weaponless, he hasn't really shown some kind of amazing ability to reverse his opponents.

It will be one of the best performances by Khabib and Dustin

Khabib is bringing his heart knowing that Dustin is no al or Conor and has power

Dustin is coming

Not entirely true, RDA has a great defensive guard, but he doesn't really threaten with subs. The reason why I don't see Ferguson or someone like Nate doing much to Khabib from their guard is because Khabib will pass their guard. Ferguson got passed by Lee 3 times and got mounted. Khabib passed RDA's guard 6 times. RDA's guard retention > Ferguson's. Once Khabib passes into half guard or side control, Ferguson will be weaponless, he hasn't really shown some kind of amazing ability to reverse his opponents.

Yeah RDA has an elite defensive guard but he really is just good at avoiding damage and causing a stalemate. That's why his fight with Khabib was so boring.

Khabib may well deal with more offensive minded guard players (even really good ones) easily. My point is just that we haven't seen him have to do it yet.

Context matters though. Khabib beat Barboza while he was on his best streak in the UFC, beating Pettis, Gilbert, and Dariush.

Pettis and Gilbert on complete career spirals, already on losing streaks. Those are not elite fighters when Barboza beat them, and their losing streaks continued.

Barboza, almost as a rule, loses to elite fighters, and its always lopsided.

Unfortunately for DP, what i saw in his two fights with Eddie, he is quite vulnerable on the ground. The only question is can Khabib get it ITD.

Unfortunately for DP, what i saw in his two fights with Eddie, he is quite vulnerable on the ground. The only question is can Khabib get it ITD.
That's the wrong question, though. If Eddie can take Dustin down, so can Khabib. The real question is: how hard will Khabib have to work in order to get Dustin down and will it affect him in the championship rounds?

Back