Please tell me how Gus won

To say that either fighter won any round "easily" (except for Jones winning round 4) is delusional. It was a close fight. The first three rounds all could have gone either way. Jones won the 4th round big and the 5th round clearly, but not by a huge margin. I scored is 49-46 Jones but could easily see how someone could score it 48-47 Jones. I could even sort of understand someone scoring it 48-47 Gus, but for someone to act like Gus clearly won the fight and was robbed is just ridiculous.

Haha so by doing more damage, octagon control, landing more significant strikes, and also throwing leg kicks vs leg kicks attempted head kicks and a few spinning elbows....I'm not being bias I'm calling it as I seen it and Gustafson clearly did enough in the first 3 to call those rounds his....wasn't by a substantial margin he won them but he clearly out struck jones and also took him down bloodied him up and swole up his eye and lips lol....jones clearly won the 5th round....but he was also getting out struck up until the elbow...I don't see where ppl come up with there facts....Jones fan I guess....I'm an MMA fan.....and gus deserved the nod. 48-47....88 head strikes to 18 I think it was going into the 4th....but leg kicks and attempted head kicks wins fights right? Clearly out struck for the first 3 but ppl say jones won 2 of the 3 rounds....that's where the delusional comes from my friend.... Back me up with some actual facts to convince me other wise....

gus mauled him, and if it wasnt for that elbow in the 4th it wouldve been a domination by gus. fuck the judges

you won't get a proper answer because most mma fans are dense, naive and or ignorant.

Yup straight dumb phucks, Gus won 1,3, and either 4rh or 5th rd. Gus should be champ now, look at Jones face his lip looked like Will Smith's in Hitch not to mention the ref should have had jones corner wipe off all that vaseline off of jones eyes in the last rd, shit was dripping

I just came back home from seeing the fights live. I had Jones winning 3 rounds to 2. The 49-46 score was not right. I thought Gus won two rounds for sure. Close fight and Gus proved a lot. The man has a chin made of steel. Some of the blows he absorbed would have knocked out other fighters easily. It was a close fight, and not a controversial decision.

you won't get a proper answer because most mma fans are dense, naive and or ignorant.

Yup straight dumb phucks, Gus won 1,3, and either 4rh or 5th rd. Gus should be champ now, look at Jones face his lip looked like Will Smith's in Hitch not to mention the ref should have had jones corner wipe off all that vaseline off of jones eyes in the last rd, shit was dripping

Boxing, mainly the jab and overhand combo. he BOXED em up, silly MMA fans some of you Jones supporters only see fancy kicks i guess.

Gus scored more points in this fight and popped Jones head back more and did more damage. Alex won. (should have)

He won the first 3 rounds. They were close but I gave all three to Gus.

I really want to see Jones lose (check my posting history if you don't believe), but I thought he won the fight as well, 4 rounds to 1.

He was the aggressor and landed more.

Yeah, I'm glad to see at least someone has sense. I was going to come on sherdog and make a thread about how Jones nearly lost on scorecards, but to my shock, it seems most people think that Gus won... but I don't see how that is possible. I had it 49-46 for Jones. I really don't see how anyone could score it for Gus.

I think the only reason anyone would score it for Gus is because everyone was expecting Jones to destroy Gus, but Gus made this a lot more competitive, so everything Gus did that was effective, people made it seem like he was just killing Jones. There were a couple close rounds, with Gus clearly winning only one. But what can you say? Jones took over the fight. He won. No one should disagree.

what is odd to me is that a lot of people seem very insistant that Gus won.... but he was clearly a defeated fighter by the end.

I had it 48-47 GUS.
He won 1,3,4.
The second was pretty close also.

Last edited:
It was an incredibly close fight no matter how you slice it. I expected Gus to be the winner, but can understand arguments for Jones.

He basically took it to Jones for three rounds and most of the 4th. But because Jones won the 5th and the last minute of the 4th he won the whole fight. I don't know how that works just yet but I am sure Jones fans will help me understand it.

Just to finish off my thread from yesterday, I still notice that the majority of fans out there belive Gus won. By looking at the pole completed on Sherdog yesterday it is startling to see by how much of a margin fans believe so.

"Jon Jones 618 31.20%
Alexander Gustafsson 1,219 61.53%
Draw 144 7.27%"

i also don't understand how people think that because Jones went to the hospital means Gus won.

I also don't understand how many of you claim Gus was controlling the action and yet he was the one going backwards for most of the fight. below is a link to Fightmetric.com and the Strike stats. Jones had more significant strikes in every round except 5.

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/09/jones-vs-gustafsson-official-ufc.html

For those who participated in the thread thank you. I'm just really surprised by the amount of people who saw it otherwise.

By Jones not clearly winning a round? The clear rounds in this fight were Gus'.

Dana ... Post fight ... Paraphrasing. Gus lost nothing tonight. His stock gone way up.

While judges did not award decision, impressed the guy who influences paycheck.

A lot of fans(some paying customers) also impressed.

Expect bigger paycheck and more sponsors to follow.

Gus did not appear to sustain serious injury and should be back soon .

Back