Please tell me how Gus won

More significant strikes in the first 3 rounds, a couple takedowns and stuffed all of Jones' takedowns until the championship rounds. 4 and 5 were Jones though and I think 3 were close enough that its not a robbery Jones won, but I don't agree either

Thank you.

I was rooting for Jones but Gus won rounds 1,2,3

I watched the fight on ufc.tv and couldn't get the audio to load, so I was shocked to see bones get his hand raised. Came on here to see the scores and was even more shocked when I saw one judge had him ahead by 4 rounds.

There were periods of the fight where gustafsson was landing at will. I haven't seen the fight metrics yet, but I would be willing to bet he landed a 1/3rd more strikes than jones at the very least. He scored 2 takedowns, slipped or blocked the majority of jones strikes. Jones definitely stalked him and threw flashier strikes, but that shouldn't win him 4 rounds.

At the very least I would say the fight was a draw, but I had it scored 3 rounds to 2 for gustafsson.

Sherdoggers love fighters that bounce around a lot and throw a lot of activity punches.

See: Diaz brothers, Frankie Edgar.

Jones' face looks like "activity punches" amiright?!
:icon_neut

By out striking Jones for 3 out of 5 round.

3 rounds beats 2. There

out striking jones and stuffing his takedown and taking him down.... but what does those mean when you get screwed?

The fightmetric stats on UFC.com say that Jones outstruck Gustafsson.

But maybe UFC paid them off too with their Nike/Gatorade money.

hater will say- gus touched jones and made him bleed= gus was robbed... but jones won that 49-46

1, 3 Gustaffson
2, 4, 5 Jones.

I think Gus would have won the fight pulling away in the 4th/5th if he didn't get hit with that spinning elbow and then gas SUPER hard. Ifs don't count though. Overall, Gus otherwise fought great other than not having much of an answer for Jones' kicks.

Can we agree Gus clearly won the first?
The third Gus landed more significant strikes.
The second was a total toss up round that could have gone to either fighter.

In other words "how did Gus win?", if the judges had scored the toss up second round his way. That's how.

well since rounds 2 and 3 were really close. i could see how anyone can argue either way. gus clearly won round 1. 4 is tricky cuz gus was winning clearly then it seemed as if he got stunned.. he didnt fall, he didnt have stanky leg, but he def looked stunned or drained for a bit. hope that answers your question as to how some could think gus won. since he won round 1 and 2 and 3 were close. jj haters could argue it.

Gus out-struck Jones throughout the majority of the fight. He did more damage to Jones. He stuffed all but 1 of Jones' take-downs (either 9 or 10 take down attempts by Jones were stuffed), while having the same amount of successful take-downs as Jones. Gus controlled the tempo and had Jones fighting one dimensional for most of the fight (using only kicks). I had Gus winning 3 of the 5 rounds. Jones won round 4 and I thought Jones won round 5 by default. In round 5 they both were tired and barely standing, but I thought Jones did a bit more in round 5.

Okay fight geniuses...

I wanted Gus to win as much as the rest of you. However, I clearly had Jones winning 3 if not 4 rounds on Gus. He was way more agressive. He controlled the octagon and he landed more and better strikes. In round 4 (which several of you claim Gus won) Jones almost finished him.

So... enlighten us all and tell us why and how Gus won.

He out struck Jones the majority of every round. I don't think he won them all but it's really easy to see how the decision could have gone to Gus.

along with Jon's speech impediment because his lips were swollen and busted up.

by landing more strikes and doing more damage...I feel....jones landed most of his strikes on gus's forehead and didn't seems to leave much bruising... a lot of those spinning elbows and head kicks didn't land clean...where as when gus landed he did damage as you can see on jones face...either way great fight, glad I got home in time to order it both are warriors...

So I think this fight hinges on how you judge the 4th round. I thought the fight was 2-1 for gus going into the 4th and I thought that Gus was clearly winning the 4th by a lot. Then Jones rocked him and finished the fight strong. I'm honestly not sure if Jones did enough at the end for him to get the nod but I'll have to re-watch it.

So that's how people scored it for Gus, because they didn't think the elbow and follow up in round 4 was enough to erase the dominance of the rest of the round. It's not that hard to figure out. Close fight.

Okay TS. You don't think Gus won because Jones nuts are blocking your vision. You think that because Jones had Gus rocked for 1.5 minutes, Jones won, even though Jones got BEAT UP by superior boxing. Jones probably won't be at the Presser, but he won. Lol okay.

1, 3 Gustaffson
2, 4, 5 Jones.

I think Gus would have won the fight pulling away in the 4th/5th if he didn't get hit with that spinning elbow and then gas SUPER hard. Ifs don't count though. Overall, Gus otherwise fought great other than not having much of an answer for Jones' kicks.

The point, in regards to TS's question, is that the second round was VERY close.
The judges scored it for Jones obviously but they could have just as easily scored it for Gus.

Back