Please tell me how Gus won

I wanted him to win so bad, but he didn't. 2-4-5 Jones.

Funny that Gus was winning the cleanest round of the fight in round 4, till it all fell off the rails in the last minute, which ended up costing him the title.

I saw a ticker at one point that had gustafson leading on head strikes 88 to 18... but I guess leg kicks and blocked elbows matter more...

Okay fight geniuses...

I wanted Gus to win as much as the rest of you. However, I clearly had Jones winning 3 if not 4 rounds on Gus. He was way more agressive. He controlled the octagon and he landed more and better strikes. In round 4 (which several of you claim Gus won) Jones almost finished him.

So... enlighten us all and tell us why and how Gus won.

Hahahah r u delusional? Gustafson eaisly won the first 3 rounds....he had better foot work he had more octagon control he landed more strikes he took Jones down....did you not see the look on Jones face and his eye and lips going into the 3rd? Tell me how landin more strikes to the head and the face isn't more effective then leg kicks and attempted head kicks? Did you not see the head strikes landed in the 4 th....mauler had. Crazy amount more landed....jones had octagon control in the 4th which was close until the elbow....and then he hurt him ...and took him down in the 5th but he got right back up....tell me how landing aLot more effective strikes in the first 3 And still landing in the final 2 frames doesn't win you a fight vs leg kicks and attempted head kicks and not Very effective striking in the first 3 and then an elbow that rocked him in the 4th and a takedown in the 5th and being a bit more aggressive? Get off the booze

Gustafson outstruck him in the first two rounds, landed a takedown in each. Third round, stuffed all the takedowns, striking was about even, but gave edge to Gus. 4th is where it got interesting. I think Gus was winning the round until the elbow. Much like the takedown with 30 sec left in the round, it was what judges remember, but for the majority of the round Gus was winning. 5th round was the only round that Jones clearly won. No way did Jones win 4 rounds. That one judge needs his head examined. I could see rds 3 and 4 maybe going either way, but I think overall Gus should have won

Okay fight geniuses...

I wanted Gus to win as much as the rest of you. However, I clearly had Jones winning 3 if not 4 rounds on Gus. He was way more agressive. He controlled the octagon and he landed more and better strikes. In round 4 (which several of you claim Gus won) Jones almost finished him.

So... enlighten us all and tell us why and how Gus won.

So getting taken down twice, soundly outstruck for the first 3 3/4 rounds isnt good enough, how about getting all but 1 takedown stuffed? Does that mean he won the fight? So spamming headkicks, kicks to the knees does? Or does landing one spinning elbow with barely a minute left in a round where he was outstruck in constitute him winning the round? I am confused, if he didnt outstrike him, couldnt outwrestle him, did less damage, how did he win?

Lol! You Jones haters are hilarious. Just saw the stats on ESPN and Jones landed more power shots in every single round.

This. To say that any fighter got embarrassed in any round is just silly (although round 4 was a pretty dominant round for Jones). It was unquestionably Jones' closest fight yet, but it was fairly clear that he won.

Not sure where you saw two takedowns. I only saw one, which lasted all of about 3 seconds and led to zero damage. Also, Jones clearly won the final two rounds. The first three were razor close and could have gone either way. I gave Jones two of the first three, but I could see how a judge might disagree.

well then the same criteria should go for jones and his takedown in round 5...

He didnt win, its just the nuthuggers creamed themselves because Gus actually put up some what a competitive fight, they will take the fact that Jones didnt get to fully embarrass Gus ( which he did ) like all his previous opponents. Jones clearly beat Gus without question, but ofcourse the Jones haters are blinded on purpose.

Also like I have always said, Jones will not be the same after his toe injury and that showed tonight, Hopefully im wrong about that.

how did he embarrass gus? im not disputing his win, but no fighter was embarrassed in this fight...

Gus won the first 3 rounds by out striking Jones and doing the more significant damage. Jones was boxed up and beat up tonight, he got very lucky by getting the dec. win. I don't understand, Gus completely stuffed Jones game and (td's which should have been scored in his favor), and messed his face up bad on the feet, so how does Jones win a decision from throwing spinning back kicks and baby leg kicks all night, the damage was done by Gus.

This. To say that any fighter got embarrassed in any round is just silly (although round 4 was a pretty dominant round for Jones). It was unquestionably Jones' closest fight yet, but it was fairly clear that he won.

So this is what it comes down to? Stats on espn or did you people actually watch the fight?? More power shots landed by jones in every round????? Seriously????? Kicks to knees arent power shots

Not sure where you saw two takedowns. I only saw one, which lasted all of about 3 seconds and led to zero damage. Also, Jones clearly won the final two rounds. The first three were razor close and could have gone either way. I gave Jones two of the first three, but I could see how a judge might disagree.

I believe he's referring to the trip Gus got by catching Jones kick, and honestly I have no idea how you could possibly give Jones 2 of the first 3.

Hahahah r u delusional? Gustafson eaisly won the first 3 rounds....

To say that either fighter won any round "easily" (except for Jones winning round 4) is delusional. It was a close fight. The first three rounds all could have gone either way. Jones won the 4th round big and the 5th round clearly, but not by a huge margin. I scored is 49-46 Jones but could easily see how someone could score it 48-47 Jones. I could even sort of understand someone scoring it 48-47 Gus, but for someone to act like Gus clearly won the fight and was robbed is just ridiculous.

I believe he's referring to the trip Gus got by catching Jones kick, and honestly I have no idea how you could possibly give Jones 2 of the first 3.

That trip was not a takedown--he never got on top of Jones with any semblance of control.

As far as the scoring on the first three rounds, I have stated in a few posts that I thought all three of them were razor close, but I thought Jones landed the more significant strikes. And clearly one of the three official judges and one of the three Sherdog judges agreed with me in giving two of the three rounds to Jones, so while I might be in the minority, it is not a super small one.

I had rounds 1/3 for Gus and round 2 for Jones. Gus lost 4 on the damage from the elbow and 5 he gassed. Right or wrong, I'm guessing that's how they scored it. If you score the fight in its totality, I have Gus winning, but since mma rounds are sometimes scored by "who had the best moment" in a round, the jones decision makes sense.

For me Gus won the first three rounds. He was outstriking jones on those 3 rounds. His punches were better and both of them were landing leg kicks. I think it was jones's high kicks that swayed other people to give him those rounds (1-3). The thing is those kicks were blocked. Plus let's not forget that gus had two takedowns on jones. Using the "judges" logic with takedowns he also should have points for that.

Round 4-5 I would give that to jones.

Statistically he won easily, and I give him 3 rounds easily as well, drawing a 4th.

I'm just dropping in to say that Gus was in firm control of round 4 for 4:30 of it. I'm pretty sure that's the round that lost him the fight by letting Jones hit him with that ridiculous spinning elbow. I am personally torn on how I would have scored that round, and had it 2-2 otherwise with two rounds I felt Gus won handily and 2 rounds I felt Jones barely won.

how can u lost a round because of 30 seconds, where you didnt even get dropped? jones had a nice flurry but alex stayed calm and covered up..even defended a takedown.

The point, in regards to TS's question, is that the second round was VERY close.
The judges scored it for Jones obviously but they could have just as easily scored it for Gus.

I had jones winning round 2 by a fair margin

I had jones winning round 2 by a fair margin

No one won that round by a fair margin. They both landed good shots and it could have gone either way.
Like I said, I have no issue with Jones winning the second but it could have easily gone the other way too.

Back