Phil Robertson to Speak at GOP Convention

I don't know anything about that. But the Republican party is full of sissies. They need him to speak. That's what I mean.

There may be something to this. Knowing that they won't be getting any minority or gay votes and that they are going to tank with non-whiskey tango women, maybe they feel like they might as well double down on appealing to the base they have.

Robertson/Nugent 2016

There may be something to this. Knowing that they won't be getting any minority or gay votes and that they are going to tank with non-whiskey tango women, maybe they feel like they might as well double down on appealing to the base they have.

Robertson/Nugent 2016

Could be.

Guys what specifically about him though? Does he hold opinions on things that would get the base excited? I can't remember, did he say something in particular that would get conservatives excited? What can it be....

Robertson/Nugent 2016

Here's a better idea for the GOP.

Just stick to the basics...the basics that are most likely affect the everyday American.

The economy for example..

focus on Smaller Government, fiscal responsibility, strong borders, personal freedoms and leave it at that...

the moment you start branching out to social conservatives is the moment the entire campaign sinks....

The GOP really needs to purge itself from the Palins, Santorums, Bachmanns, McConnels, Bush's etc.

Guys what specifically about him though? Does he hold opinions on things that would get the base excited? I can't remember, did he say something in particular that would get conservatives excited? What can it be....

As opposed to who else? He's got a show that the GOP base watches, and loves. Who else has that?

It was more of a joke...

but like you, I really can't see the logic/strategy in having this guy speak at the Convention.

I don't think he's asking because he can't see the logic. He's asking because he can see it. It's about sending a message to bigots that, hey, we can't actually come out and agree with you (what with the liberal media and black/gay pressure groups and all), but wink wink, you know we're on your side, right?

I don't think he's asking because he can't see the logic. He's asking because he can see it. It's about sending a message to bigots that, hey, we can't actually come out and agree with you (what with the liberal media and black/gay pressure groups and all), but wink wink, you know we're on your side, right?

Yeah jeez, I thought it was obvious (guess not).

The guy is well known for having racist (or at a minimum, very ignorant views on race) and homophobic views. And exactly as you say it, it sends a message that we agree with you. I think this guy is the perfect choice because he is pretty slippery. It's like you know exactly what he is saying but in lawyer like fashion he doesn't come out and say it specifically (at least from what I've read, I do not follow this guy closely, do not watch that shitty show).

They are bringing this guy along to get the homophobic and bigoted base excited.

Last edited:
Here's a better idea for the GOP.

Just stick to the basics...the basics that are most likely affect the everyday American.

The economy for example..

focus on Smaller Government, fiscal responsibility, strong borders, personal freedoms and leave it at that...

the moment you start branching out to social conservatives is the moment the entire campaign sinks....

The GOP really needs to purge itself from the Palins, Santorums, Bachmanns, McConnels, Bush's etc.

While no one can disagree with you in principle (of course we want to hear what they plan on doing to do for the country), IMO the GOP really doesn't have anything to offer to people who are not ultra-wealthy (even lower upper class isn't getting the share of the pie they used to).

How do you get poor and middle class folks excited about programs that help the rich?

I agree with your last point though. The teatards will make even moderate Republicans go full retard in the primaries and they can't get a "do over" once they get the nod.

Yeah jeez, I thought it was obvious (guess not).

The guy is well known for having racist (or at a minimum, very ignorant views on race) and homophobic views. And exactly as you say it, it sends a message that we agree with you. I think this guy is the perfect choice because he is pretty slippery. It's like you know exactly what he is saying but in lawyer like fashion he doesn't come out and say it specifically (at least from what I've read, I do not follow this guy closely, do not watch that shitty show).

They are bringing this guy along to get the homophobic and bigoted base excited.

I think you're wrong on something. Describing Phil's choice of words "in lawyer like fashion." I do watch the show. And I really don't think the guy gives a rat's behind what anyone thinks. I think with Phil, what you see is what you get. I think Phil says exactly what he thinks on a topic. Anyone, feel free to agree or disagree with me on that. Especially if you watch the show.

While no one can disagree with you in principle (of course we want to hear what they plan on doing to do for the country), IMO the GOP really doesn't have anything to offer to people who are not ultra-wealthy (even lower upper class isn't getting the share of the pie they used to).

How do you get poor and middle class folks excited about programs that help the rich?

I agree with your last point though. The teatards will make even moderate Republicans go full retard in the primaries and they can't get a "do over" once they get the nod.

This is the USA. Even the most untalented, backwards hillbillys are convinced they will eventually be rich within their lifetime.

All they need do is create a nifty duck call and cultivate an image, and they will be rich and famous.

I think you're wrong on something. Describing Phil's choice of words "in lawyer like fashion." I do watch the show. And I really don't think the guy gives a rat's behind what anyone thinks. I think with Phil, what you see is what you get. I think Phil says exactly what he thinks on a topic. Anyone, feel free to agree or disagree with me on that. Especially if you watch the show.

I was specifically referring to his interview with GQ (I think it was them) and some other quotes.

I couldn't give two shits about the guy or his show, honestly. I just think the GOP is sending a message (one they have been sending for a long time now).

Never quite understood the GOP . Your base is shrinking, so instead of trying to appeal to different groups, you choose to antagonize with a racist, homophobic, xenophobic message.

This is the USA. Even the most untalented, backwards hillbillys are convinced they will eventually be rich within their lifetime.

All they need do is create a nifty duck call and cultivate an image, and they will be rich and famous.

Yeah I guess. They may not realize the whole show is fake - those guys are all well educated and there are plenty of pictures of them at country clubs looking like your typical country club dude (preppy looking, well dressed, well groomed). It's all for show.

Never quite understood the GOP . Your base is shrinking, so instead of trying to appeal to different groups, you choose to antagonize with a racist, homophobic, xenophobic message.

I think their base is shrinking partially because they cave in and don't take a stand for anything. In the recent past, Repubs are changing tune and trying to be more liberal and be popular. I think that is partially to blame also. There are more liberal voters right now. But conservatives don't get fired up about John McCain and Mitt "Obamacare" Romney either.

What is your opposition based on?

My own feelings, just because I think that marriage should be solely between a man and a woman doesn't mean I hate gays...its really that simple

I think their base is shrinking partially because they cave in and don't take a stand for anything. In the recent past, Repubs are changing tune and trying to be more liberal and be popular. I think that is partially to blame also. There are more liberal voters right now. But conservatives don't get fired up about John McCain and Mitt "Obamacare" Romney either.

So you think a political party should quit trying to be popular? Explain how being less popular gets more votes.

So you think a political party should quit trying to be popular? Explain how being less popular gets more votes.

They just need to get the military on their side and forget about these "election" things. That's how right-wingers in other countries have done it, and I hear the results are great.

Simple. When one party gets power for a while and screws things up. The pendulum swings back the other way.

My own feelings, just because I think that marriage should be solely between a man and a woman doesn't mean I hate gays...its really that simple

But what are those feelings based on?

But what are those feelings based on?

A 2,000 year old book and probably parental/societal indoctrination (not logic, which is probably the point you want to make).

Back